Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,301 times

Advertisements

"Do conservatives care about having an independent press capable of criticizing the President?"

You're asking the wrong group of people. Your question should be asking if the press cares about having an independent press. And they aren't 'criticizing' Trump, they are colluding with criminal leakers to bring him down. With few exceptions there is absolutely NOTHING "independent" about the press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 12:24 PM

6,246 posts, read 3,415,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The first thing to go in a nation that is no longer free is the press. Dictators don't like criticism and prefer to monopolize the messaging their people can hear.

It seems to me that conservatives will accept no criticism of Donald Trump and would go to any lengths to dismantle the ability of media organizations to do so.

Sure, they say that they just don't like the "liberal media" and would accept one that is "fair"...which I take to mean "doesn't criticize Donald Trump."

Look, I don't like Breitbart, FOX, or Infowars, but I support their right to continue to exist, because I think that we're overall better off with a press corps capable of asking questions independent of government than without it.

I see no indication that Donald Trump has any respect for the role of a free press in our society, and I genuinely believe he would dismantle it entirely if he could. Do conservatives understand the value of a free press not beholden to a President, or do they really wish to do away with it?
There is a major different between criticizing and piling on. Especially when a lot of the criticism/piling on is fake news. Example, CNN and the NYT and will report anything whether it true or not because of their hatred for Trump.
Look at it this way, during the Obama administration there were a lot of scandals and flat out lying which the MSM flatly ignored or glossed over.
Now if Trump is catch eating a salad with Russian Dressing on it the MSM will report on Trump conclusion almost non stop 24/7, with the Russians connection and he is a traitor to our country and will give Maxine Waters another reason to impeach.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:46 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
[quote=60sagain;48958656]There was only one fake news station. And that one has failed in a pile of misogyny and lying, and sexism. But you keep trying the gaslighting effect. It absolutely works for 36.5% of the country 😆 The rest of us......not so much.[/QUOTE

Fox is part of the MSM. They spin right.......its still spin.

But, how do you reconcile this belief of yours that the MSM is reliably and responsibility reporting accurately when we had the former FBI Director testifying under oath to Congress that a huge NYT front page above the fold story was almost entirely false?

The MSM spins so hard today that they totally distort the facts they present in order to further their agenda.

Anyone who cant see that is blind and deserves to be mislead.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:43 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
[quote=Blondy;48959171]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
There was only one fake news station. And that one has failed in a pile of misogyny and lying, and sexism. But you keep trying the gaslighting effect. It absolutely works for 36.5% of the country 😆 The rest of us......not so much.[/QUOTE

Fox is part of the MSM. They spin right.......its still spin.

But, how do you reconcile this belief of yours that the MSM is reliably and responsibility reporting accurately when we had the former FBI Director testifying under oath to Congress that a huge NYT front page above the fold story was almost entirely false?

The MSM spins so hard today that they totally distort the facts they present in order to further their agenda.

Anyone who cant see that is blind and deserves to be mislead.
Any media entity that is part of a "for profit" corporation can never be trusted. That is why I get most of my news from bloggers.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:52 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
There are very few Trump supporters here who answered the question. It was basically a yes or no as to the support of the press, and most instead just seized on another opportunity to deflect about Hillary Clinton. I'm not sure why people keep starting these types of threads asking questions that Trump supporters are never going to answer honestly.
That said, you can sort of read between the lines that they do NOT, in fact, support a free press criticizing their president.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:19 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
There are very few Trump supporters here who answered the question. It was basically a yes or no as to the support of the press, and most instead just seized on another opportunity to deflect about Hillary Clinton. I'm not sure why people keep starting these types of threads asking questions that Trump supporters are never going to answer honestly.
That said, you can sort of read between the lines that they do NOT, in fact, support a free press criticizing their president.
I am not sure if I qualify as a "Trump supporter" or just someone with an open mind. I support such a press; I do however note a double standard:
  1. Fawning coverage of the Obama administration; v.
  2. Knee-jerk criticism of everything Trump does, down to the printing of speculative and invented stories as long as they're negative.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:28 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
I applaud the Press tearing Trump to shreds. He deserves it.

I do wish they had put Obama under some scrutiny, but they swooned instead.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:01 PM

221 posts, read 187,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I applaud the Press tearing Trump to shreds. He deserves it.

I do wish they had put Obama under some scrutiny, but they swooned instead.
Agreed. Obama was our first president of color and the media wanted him to succeed. Well, except for the lynch mob that is Fox News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies