Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 01:07 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
They are just PATRIOTIC AMERICANS. Exercising their right to free speech. They are using a venue that is available to them and sends a stronger message than just posting on a forum or an interview that very few would see.

We white people don't have a lock on that.

Why can't we just fire trump for his unpatriotic rhetoric? GET THAT SONOFABITCH OUTTA HERE!

Has the OP ever interacted with people of color.? DOUBTFUL
Then protest on your own time NOT during your job.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:08 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
wrong, many other countries play their sports heroes too much money also.
You missed the part about teachers.

But I'm not surprised.

Some of you are only here to prove others wrong. Completely miss the message. Maybe you like the knee benders.

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The question is simple,
What do the pro players who choose to take a knee during the anthem want?

DO they want the anthem changed or not to be played at all?
Do they want Police to stop patrolling black neighborhoods to reduce the chance of someone being shot?
Do they want an apology from America for its terrible treatment of black people prior to 1865 and its so so treatment of them since then?
Do they want reparations?
Do they want America to stop being America and become something else and if so what country in the world would they like to emulate?
Do they want white people to step aside so black and brown people can take over running the place?

DO they realize that it is America and all that it stands for that allows them to take a knee in a public showing of protest. Try doing that in North Korea.

What are they trying to do? What are they trying to bring attention too?
They are overpaid petulant children throwing a temper tantrum.

Ignore them.

2,422 posts, read 1,450,473 times
This is a punk move by Tomlin. This is simply him not wanting to see any of his players kneeling because he's a "good American". People in the black community would have a few choice words for cats like him.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:09 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,306 times
Every time a sports figure pushes his/her personal diatribe on the people that make their millions possible, American's should stand up, turn around, drop trou and give those fools a moon.

4,067 posts, read 2,274,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
"Provished?"

Impoverished?
Impoverished... had a blonde moment there!

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The NFL has problems besides President Trump. The NFL has games that are much longer than the attention span of the average person, not to mention the safety concerns. These are serious problems that the NFL has few answers for, the last thing they need is a proven dragon slayer like Trump to pile on.

I don't know the future of the NFL, but we could be watching the beginning of the end.
The NFL is not perfect, but it's not the beginning of the end. Football is such a big part of our culture, from middle school, high school, and college. The NFL been around since 1920, it's not going away anytime soon.

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
No he's not. He is just living up to the Dotard label that was recently applied to him!
Another Kim Jong Un fan. Brilliant.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:11 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
People don't have a right to protest at a private place of employment. The first amendment only applies to government and speech.

The NFL could have nipped this in the bud, but they were afraid of being called racists. Now they are going to lose millions.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:11 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is NOT a free speech issue. The players are using their company's (team/NFL) logo, jerseys, venue, airtime, sponsors, fans' time, etc for their own, personal political statement. It is a code of conduct issue. I don't want to pay to watch political protests when I am trying to relax, and be entertained. Whether I attend the game, or not, I am still paying when I watch. We pay for cable, we buy the sponsor's products, and we give our valuable time.

The team owners, and the NFL should have nipped this in the bud. Now it is too late, and people are tuning out, and NFL revenue is declining, and will continue to decline if the protests persist. This is not a Trump issue. It happened prior to Trump, and it would happen no matter who is President. It is largely due to the MEDIA driven lie of oppression of minorities by law enforcement, and "Whitey".

I am giving it one more week, and if it continues, I am dropping out of any support for Pro Sports.
Yes it IS a free speech issue. Free speech means anyone, anywhere can say whatever they want. It does not matter who is paying their salaries, or how much they make, or during what venue they say it. They DO have free speech.

I will agree that these particular protests are rather annoying, but I would never want to even suggest that they shouldn't be allowed to do it. And likewise, you also have a right to YOUR free speech by boycotting sports if you don't like what they're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies