Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 03:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
just as important to note the use of the word 'should'.
I've been to plenty of NFL games where a few of the players were on the sidelines practicing during the National Anthem. I've never understood why a player continuing to kick a football into a net is fine, but a player quietly kneeling is something to get angry over.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
instead of displaying national pride and honoring our military we now have BLM rallies every Sunday before the football games. Ain't America great
Why is a football game even about honoring our military, why can't it just be about football?

Old 09-29-2017, 04:04 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
My original point to you was that there are rules of conduct expected of NFL players because you spouted that military probably has rules as to their political displays in uniform. If you want to rest your argument on the word "should" rather than the spirit of what the manual is saying go ahead.

The NFL rep also says this that I quoted upthread:

It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country.
your argument was that the NFL has rules against kneeling, and I proved that your are factually wrong. That additional quote says nothing about kneeling. It's essentially a platitude.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:08 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Veterans are choosing to be offended by a protest that isn't about them in the first place.

Sad that they don't preach what they were supposed to have practiced.....
Exactly my thoughts.

Ermahgerd you must stand up to respect meh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am a vet. served in Desert Storm. I don't back his point of view.

all of the ones I have spoken to agree with me.

in truth the sad part here for me isn't what others are saying. Its that my experience in the military was that it was the first place I had real converstations with African Americans about race. When you live with, work with... even sleep in the same room with people you build a trust level that allows for that.

the reality is the Military is a place where there are far more "coming together" kind of moments where unvarnished hard conversations based on trust take place than any place else in the country.

those that feel the need to do this protest need veterians on their side and that bridge has been burned. There might be a significant number of Vets that are on their side or not opposed to what they are doing, but it is nowhere near majority, not even a large minority.

And from those I have talked to, we don't feel like there is any intention of trying to bring us in to be understanding. not at all. This is about dividing the nation. its not at all about bringing anyone together.
Dude, it's not even about you.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:09 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's completely unbelievable, if someone had told you this was possible even a decade ago no one would have believed you. This professional football player who by all accounts is an entitled pampered clueless fool who never worked a day in his life, one day decided that the United States was responsible for all that is wrong in society.

Fast forward to today, if you stand for the anthem you are a far right racist bigot.

Say what? Seriously. This is the current state of affairs.

Just as a matter of background on Kaepernick, his father was black and left him as a child. He was given up for adoption by his mother to a white couple in the suburbs. This guy has no idea what real struggle is. All he knows are the media headlines and social media campaigns. No doubt his adopted parents fostered their deep sentiments of "white guilt".

When the only parents you know don't respect themselves, is it any wonder you grow up not respecting anything? Food for thought.
This is just another example of someone on the right saying people on the left believe X, despite the fact that hardly anyone believes X. Barring a handful of crazies, there aren't liberals and progressives who think "honoring the flag" is racist. I've not even really heard that idea popularized.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am a vet. served in Desert Storm. I don't back his point of view.

all of the ones I have spoken to agree with me.

in truth the sad part here for me isn't what others are saying. Its that my experience in the military was that it was the first place I had real converstations with African Americans about race. When you live with, work with... even sleep in the same room with people you build a trust level that allows for that.

the reality is the Military is a place where there are far more "coming together" kind of moments where unvarnished hard conversations based on trust take place than any place else in the country.

those that feel the need to do this protest need veterians on their side and that bridge has been burned. There might be a significant number of Vets that are on their side or not opposed to what they are doing, but it is nowhere near majority, not even a large minority.

And from those I have talked to, we don't feel like there is any intention of trying to bring us in to be understanding. not at all. This is about dividing the nation. its not at all about bringing anyone together.
I'm a veteran and I'm on their side. They didn't burn any bridges with me.

Moreover, this isn't about bringing people together. I'm not interested in that anyway. This is about injustice. I don't care about being your friend. I want equal justice under the law. I have enough friends.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:11 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
your argument was that the NFL has rules against kneeling, and I proved that your are factually wrong. That additional quote says nothing about kneeling. It's essentially a platitude.
Kneeling was nowhere in my OP to you. If you want to be congratulated for correcting me on the word "rule" rather than calling it a manual, yippee for you. Your attempt at legalese is making you look stupid. The expectations of conduct from the "manual" are pretty obvious to me and many others.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:13 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why is a football game even about honoring our military, why can't it just be about football?
Because the Gov't paid the NFL to promote Patriotism and to help recruit. It's strait propaganda.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:16 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Somehow, someway, Trump has managed to get taking a knee against institutional racism equated with hating America.

And no matter how many times it's explained to the cultists, they pretend (I'm assuming) to not know.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:16 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You think that's equivalent to Trump's remarks? The POTUS? Amazing
I couldn't see anything at all. Did they call the president an SOB?

If not, then sorry--no cigar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies