Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 07:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Read the article again. He supports the protests.
I had to chuckle.......some of my more "conservative" friends posted this without understanding what he is saying.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:04 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Michigan State Police Director in hot water too.

MSP head apologizes for NFL 'degenerates' post on Facebook

I think people just throw in the troops to give their resentment an emotional shield. The bottom line is that conservative type people just don't want to hear what other people have to say or deal with America looked at from a different lens. Very few conservatives watch MSNBC or anything, such as CNN, that they think has a liberal point of view. Conservatives only want to have to deal with people who are "just like them" and who think like them. They do not want a diversity of thoughts or opinions. Hence, they are upset because there is no CFL....Conservative Football League that they can turn too and not see people making liberal freedoms of expression. It does not matter that 99% of the people were behaving in a way that they approve......they want a football league where 100% of the people behave in a way that they approve....OR ELSE!

Conservatism can easily become a dictatorship.

2,003 posts, read 1,168,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Geez. Whether you support it or are against it, one thing is for sure: taking a knee is working. The players are drawing the attention to the issues like they wanted. The NFL has dominated the front page of the political section for the last several days.
No it's not working. The only thing its drawing attention to is the NFL and who is or is not a "patriot". Kap's message has been lost.

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times

Old 09-27-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, booing during the anthem is cool, but taking the knee is not?
Booing has long been a sign of disrespect. Kneeling has always been a sign of respect.

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So, you are defending what he said? Explain your post.
The thread title is inaccurate, he wasn't "fired" he resigned. Resigned from a volunteer position. Your post wasn't even on the radar.

The posts I was referencing were the thread starter and the third one. Yours was the second. You bragged about being prescient. Now, if you claimed that the individual would be fired in your prediction then you also were inaccurate.

Either that or several people don't don't know the difference between volunteer and paid firefighters.

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That has been answered NUMEROUS times in this thread and across the internet. If you don't know by now, its because you don't WANT to know.
Exactly. They are "protesting" in support of a racist hate group that incites violence and calls for the murder of police officers. If you don't know that, it's because you don't WANT to know.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:06 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I had to chuckle.......some of my more "conservative" friends posted this without understanding what he is saying.
Oh? and what is he "saying"?

Old 09-27-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Nowhere in the article does anyone state people shouting racial slurs toward the singer. Oh right, You "imagine" that it happened
He did not say that. I find it sad that people feel the need to try and defend racism so badly that they twist what people say to do so.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:07 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You are moving the goalposts again. They DID do a protest, on the field, and Jerry participated in it. You can claim, correctly (I assume) that they stood during the anthem, but the fact remains, they made a clear statement, in solidarity with the players, not Trump, by taking the knee.

It is my OPINION that they had to come up with a way to save face for their boss, and so did he. The compromise was take the knee before, so they can stand during. But the argument that has been given is that these rich, black people don't get to have a voice because they are there to entertain us, and they don't suffer because they are overpaid, so they seem to have no rights to speak up for other Americans. That was rejected, they made the statement. They used their platform to do good for the nation, not simply to earn their ticket price.

Are you going to tell me they are in solidarity with the President? If you do, I'd have to disagree.
yes the team did do a protest, with jones right there with them. in fact jones led that protest. but they did it BEFORE the anthem. the team stood for the anthem.

as i have said, they have a right to protest peacefully in what ever manner they choose, but there are times when that protest should not be done. they have a message they want to get out to the country, great, i have no problem with that. there are many ways to get that message out where it will be heard. remember these guys have star power behind them right now. they can get out on the talk show circuit, the news shows, the radio, the city councils around the country, the state legislatures, the magazines, newspapers, etc.

there are a ton of outlets, why do something that makes huge numbers of people mad at you? why do something that will alienate the very people you want to reach?

this is part of the problem with dividing the country, it becomes that much harder to get the real message out. kaepernick had a golden opportunity before he started kneeling over a year ago, to get his message out, and we would be talking about that right now, and there would be a huge voice in support of his effort. but now we have people that are divided, the NFL is losing support, and the issue is lining up to be just like the global warming issue where both sides are going to make arguments and counterarguments, everyone is going to get angry at the other side, and nothing will get done.

nice job guys lets take an issue that probably could have been solved will now end up being another point of contention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies