Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 07:34 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
If the only time they kneel is when the anthem is played, then yes they are doing it to say the flag is not their flag. They're not kneeling when giving interviews after a game. They're not kneeling when they get to the register at the grocery store or when they buy gas. If their message is something other than they don't like the US, why is their kneeling message restricted to when the anthem is played? Shouldn't they be looking to convey their message at every opportunity?
In a nutshell, this is the problem I have with the protest!

Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
haha.. it's like Game of Thrones when folks said they were done after the Sansa scene after her wedding.

Folks watched beheadings, raps, murder, etc but that one scene was the tipping point.

These folks are hypocrites and looking for some attention because they are mad millionaires have the nerve to protest.

Once their team is in contention they will be back.
+1. Bandwagon of manufactured controversy.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I stopped watching the NFL long time ago and I felt like it was boring. The players don't have the same heart as they do in the college football.

I don't really care one way or another about public protest, either. And as a lifelong conservative, I've divorced myself entirely from politics because it's more clear than ever that the politicians are two heads of the same snake.

But this smacks of made-up controversy. Standing for the flag has a literally nothing to do with respecting or disrespecting the military. Literally nothing.

And to be sure about that, I went and asked a bunch of people I work with who are/were in the military what standing for the flag had to do with disrespecting them, and they said they had no idea and they did not feel disrespected.

No, this is the same bunch of ludicrous flag wavers who insist they love America but don't give a crap about the First Amendment, the Fourth Amendment, or the Fifth Amendment. The same people who say that you should just do whatever the cops tell you and you won't get hurt... and who cares if that violates your constitutional rights?

I don't have any idea what kneeling during the anthem has to do with protesting black people being shot by cops. But I'm not sure that we get to choose how people peacefully protest.

The people are making a huge mountain out of a molehill, and frankly it just smacks of this sheep mentality where everyone just jumps on the bandwagon without really understanding what they're upset about.

And it's scary to me to see all this total moron crap on my Facebook feed. People just sound so stupid. "Kneel for the cross in the stand for the flag!" Or else what?! And no one is stopping you. Idiocy.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:36 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The NFL and the players can do whatever the hell they want, they wont be doing it on my dime. What of part of that do you not understand?

The hypocrisy from the left on this issue is amazing because it's very common tactic they use and if it was them they would also be boycotting the advertisers, the networks etc, etc.
Oh I understand it. You are intolerant.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:36 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Best idea ever

Old 09-27-2017, 07:37 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
I'm just curious how your moral compass works.

The NFL has had numerous domestic abuse issues involving wife/girlfriend beaters, a dog killer, multiple DUIs, players with illegal firearms, and players involved with killings, and yet you still watched football. And yet, if someone protests the national anthem, now you're so appalled you will no longer watch the games. Why?
Because this issue strikes a big nerve with a lot of people.

A nerve that the Left has been picking at and irritating a long time outside of sports. Fans see football as an escape from that kind of BS...and now you've ruined it for them.

So, to answer your question.... basically you are comparing a lot of little apples to one big, fat, already irritated orange.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No one ever played football during the anthem. Teams have always either been in the locker room or the sidelines during the ceremony.
I never stated that any team every played football during the anthem so not sure where that came from.

It's been up to the team's discretion whether or not they were visible (and "visible" meant showing unified respect) during the anthem since the start of the NFL. Since 2009 some teams have mandated it, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't voluntarily done by many teams during many years prior to 2009. It was.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:43 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
I am guessing it is not about standing on principles or having a moral compass--for the 'fans' who are outraged it is about political tribalism.

Since Trump has hung out and been buddies with Tyson, Don King, and other known sports thugs, it definitely is not about 'morals.' He is using it to create divisions and shore up the base. He also is still nursing his bruised ego for the rejection by the NFL years ago.

693 posts, read 357,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
haha.. calling folks snowflakes while yapping about how you won't watch them over a kneel down.

Who's the snowflake again?

So much truth here. One are men doing nothing but silently kneeling.....the other are men literally filled with rage, ready to boycott a sport they love, boycott anything from Nike, and some even saying they'll boycott sports bars that play NFL games.

Ironically enough, these are the same people that spent the past eight years literally doing nothing but crying and complaining every chance they had against "Odumber".

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
The players sure are not taking the knee when they are handed over an obscene amount of money to play a game...

Old 09-27-2017, 07:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Not really defending anyone, just pointing out that some people live a life of crime, impregnating multiple women, living off welfare...yet this guy who has given so much makes one mistake and they turn him into a terrible person.
I've done none of those things and I have a real problem with what he said. Do you not see the problem with your generalizations and my questioning you over your thoughts on what he said?

You've still not addressed that.

Quote:
I couldn't care less for any liberal outrage no matter what is said.
I am pro-life. I support the 2nd amendment 100%. I believe we need to balance the budget.

What makes me a "liberal"?

Quote:
It's just a damn word. When did this country turn into such a basket of little crybabies?
No it is not but thanks for finally answering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies