Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:04 AM

882 posts, read 688,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Here's the thing. The country did nothing but be good to these athletes by affording them the chance to do what they do. Protesting the Anthem, which is actually protesting the country itself, is misguided and very many people see it that way. Nobody argues that they don't have the right to protest, but are arguing to do it on their own time. Not on the time that people have paid a lot of money to get AWAY from this crap that is going on on a daily basis. BTW, they are at work, that is not the place and time to do this. Anyone else would be fired for protesting daily at their jobs. The NFL itself created a monster here and we all can see that. By not nipping this crap in the bud they opened a can of worms that will only get worse and ruin the game even further as it causes division in the locker rooms. There's also the fact that the NFL let CK wear socks with cops as pigs, but wouldn't let the Cowboys wear a decal honoring the Dallas cops that were killed nor did they let players commemorate 911 victims. It pisses people off that there is this double standard in today's SJW NFL. It's ok to honor a thug that robbed a store and tried to kill a cop, which is what started all of this garbage, but the opposite side of this is not allowed at all. I fully understand why people are so mad and I think it should be common sense to anyone else who can think about this objectively unless you truly don't believe in fairness and real equality which is NOT what's happening in today's NFL. I will still watch, but I wait until the Anthem is over to put the channel on.
I believe I am looking at things objectively. Like you, I simply won't watch the first couple of minutes or use the "mute" button. But that still doesn't answer why so many other things have been given a pass by people who claim they will no longer watch the games. Seriously, you're going to freak out over a peaceful protest and yet watch players that have beaten women, illegally packed firearms, had multiple DUIS putting themselves and others in harm's way, electrocuted dogs, etc. There is really something wrong with that thinking no matter where you're at on the political spectrum.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:05 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Well thats fine-BTW I was NOT quoting a tweet, but rather the article itself. dont get so angry..geeze
LOL = angry now? Heh.

Anyway one of them was from a reporter at one of the games so I'll try to find that one. brb.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:05 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
they try so hard to flip it around but they know the real deal.
I'm just saying we've always been a divided society. Believe it or not, this is the best we've seen in society, in my lifetime anyway.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
I'm sure they offered the guy the choice to resign, keep a little dignity and benefits, or be fired. Of course he will choose to resign. So sure it's inaccurate to say he was fired, but let's not pretend he wasn't forced out. He'd be gone whether he wanted to stay or not.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So destroy the guy for using a word? Ok, gotcha.

Whatever, I don't use the word and never have. I'm disgusted when I hear it and yes, I've heard it recently...mostly from black people towards other black people.
lmao.. I love how you can't stop bashing Black folk while trying to act like you are disgusted by the word.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:07 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will come out and say it. I've never taken a knee at the national anthem. However, I theorized this earlier. Taking a knee during the national anthem is the worst possible time to do so. A part of me cringes and thinks "Kaepernick, don't. You're going to anger alot of people". But then I look at it. Kaepernick's goal is to anger people. People saying they want him fired, people saying they want the NFL boycotted, this is getting alot of attention. I wouldn't pick the gridiron to do this. But then, I'm thinking this is why players are doing this. The attention. It's negative attention, but it's attention. Firing those players won't stop the movement itself. And it won't stop it from spreading to other sports. Very few things attract millions of people in concentrated areas like sports does. There are people who want attention to their cause, even if that attention is negative attention. The attitude is "bad attention is better than no attention".
Sports can’t do without fans if they count on them for financial support. Fans can live without sports, if those in the sports flip them off. The method they chose to protest was at best, misguided. The sport in question has/had a rule in place that should have allowed them to squash any future problems, but they chose to ignore their own rule. Most People in this country prefer to live by the rules. It makes for a more peaceful exisistence.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:08 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Why is this such a big concern is the question. Because I don't care what black people do. None of my business, but why does white America care so much about what blacks do?

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Oh I understand it. You are intolerant.
Would you continue to support this volunteer fire department if this guy was not removed? I guess you are intolerant too... Like I said the hypocrisy is astounding.

If you want to call me intolerant because I refuse to support someone financially that has disrespected the flag you can put that label on me all day long.

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Trump, who attacked a gold star family is now the defender of the flag that draped their son's casket? And demeaned one of the most public & respected POW's - Sen McCain.

Trump has hi-jacked civility, morality, humanity, and civil rights by baiting us all. The flag is the very symbol of the freedom that the US represents. He has hi-jacked our sacred symbol.

I come from three generations of Naval officers. Family who fought in WWI, WWII, Korean War and Vietnam. Old guard Republicans. They would be horrified by this bone spur president whose five deferments led him to fight his "own personal Vietnam" avoiding STDs while grabbing women's genitals.
Did YOU serve or are you just basing your outrage and tossing insults based on others service? Just like to know who and what is giving an opinion. As for what your relatives "would be", if you haven't asked or heard from their mouths then you've got no idea what they would or wouldn't think, you can only guess based on your own personal bias.
The same goes for anyone who states "my relatives would say or think...."

As for your carping about the current president not serving, did Obama or Clinton? Where was your and others outrage and insults back then?
As for that Gold Star family, I think it was pretty skanky to trot them out on stage so they could use their sons death as a footstool to stand on while making political attacks. THAT behavior stinks to high heaven.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:09 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Here's the thing. The country did nothing but be good to these athletes by affording them the chance to do what they do. Protesting the Anthem, which is actually protesting the country itself, is misguided and very many people see it that way. Nobody argues that they don't have the right to protest, but are arguing to do it on their own time. Not on the time that people have paid a lot of money to get AWAY from this crap that is going on on a daily basis. BTW, they are at work, that is not the place and time to do this. Anyone else would be fired for protesting daily at their jobs. The NFL itself created a monster here and we all can see that. By not nipping this crap in the bud they opened a can of worms that will only get worse and ruin the game even further as it causes division in the locker rooms. There's also the fact that the NFL let CK wear socks with cops as pigs, but wouldn't let the Cowboys wear a decal honoring the Dallas cops that were killed nor did they let players commemorate 911 victims. It pisses people off that there is this double standard in today's SJW NFL. It's ok to honor a thug that robbed a store and tried to kill a cop, which is what started all of this garbage, but the opposite side of this is not allowed at all. I fully understand why people are so mad and I think it should be common sense to anyone else who can think about this objectively unless you truly don't believe in fairness and real equality which is NOT what's happening in today's NFL. I will still watch, but I wait until the Anthem is over to put the channel on.
If you're going to complain about everything these athletes are doing and the NFL for allowing them to do it, but watching the games anyway, then you're a total hypocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies