Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:52 AM

11,799 posts, read 5,804,343 times

Advertisements

pk - with all due respect - again these players are being paid to play - they have the money to put up billboards, make the rounds of the talk shows, create ads to express their dismay with the brutality some blacks have received.

Is it OK for a white player to come out and stand for the anthem with a white hood on? Do not tell me there wouldn't be an uproar nationwide - and I'd be one of those screaming that this is not appropriate behavior.

Time for you to put the shoe on the other foot and just think how offensive that would be.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:07 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Bla bla bla bla
The black guy isn't doing what you want.
Too ****in bad.

I see you ignored the Ferguson report for the umpteenth time
Not to mention the Baltimore report

https://www.justice.gov/crt/case-doc...report-summary

Maybe these ungrateful overpaid prima donnas are onto something.

Same findings by the DOJ when they investigated the Chicago Police Department last year - yet nothing was done about it.

You think taking a knee is going to change anything? It won't. These players might be able to make a difference but they'd prefer to grandstand in an ineffective manner rather than do some work for their cause.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:11 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
pk - with all due respect - again these players are being paid to play - they have the money to put up billboards, make the rounds of the talk shows, create ads to express their dismay with the brutality some blacks have received.
With all due respect, I do not care that it bothers you. That they did not ask you where you would be OK with their protest.

Quote:
Is it OK for a white player to come out and stand for the anthem with a white hood on? Do not tell me there wouldn't be an uproar nationwide - and I'd be one of those screaming that this is not appropriate behavior.

Time for you to put the shoe on the other foot and just think how offensive that would be.
If you want to go out there with your white hood on, go for it .

Old 10-03-2017, 11:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

They get paid to play 4 quarters, and the 1st quarter starts soon after the pre-game shows. It would be silly if they started playing before the official kick-off.

If you want to make a statement with a hood, then what better place than the stadium and in front of the TVs?

Old 10-03-2017, 11:28 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Budweiser considers ending their NFL sponsorship over protests — and they want to hear from you

Budweiser considers ending their NFL sponsorship over protests

Yeah it's The Blaze, but if true you can expect NFL owners to be putting a Stand or Else clause in player's contracts.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:37 AM

1,877 posts, read 651,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am sorry you are having a hard time with this.
I do not have a hard time with this.

Quote:
The whole point is to do it when people can see you do it.
Then be prepared to deal with the consequences, good and bad.

The real problem is that you want those consequences to be all positive. If there are any negative feedback, then we must be racists.

Quote:
If they had done is "outside the stadium", no one would have seen it.
That is not true. When I said 'outside the stadium', it does not have to be literally just a few yds outside the gate.

Are you telling me that BET would turn away Kaepernick if he calls them and want to speak about police brutality against blacks ?

Quote:
They did in front of the cameras, and it worked, judged by the PC outrage it created. I am sure they are happy Trump brought more attention to their cause.
Worked in what ways regarding police brutality ? What I see is short term gains with long term loss. And the loss is credibility.

What the American public see is that there are neither systematic nor customary police brutality, in contrast with what is claimed. That is not saying there are none, but it goes back to the definition of 'systematic' and 'customary' and if ordinary Americans, which includes those living OUTSIDE of major cities, sees such in their police forces.

How do you explain this...

Black Cops Aren't Better For Black Communities Just Because They Have The Same Skin Color | HuffPost
Quote:
And just because an officer looks like the residents of a community, it doesn’t mean he or she is more likely to respect their humanity. In fact, some studies have shown that black officers have a tendency to be tougher on black people.
...And huffpo is hardly 'right-wing'. They cite all the sources for everyone to read.

If you have a problem with a particular police dept, then stick it to that dept., but do not smear the entire country along with your target.

At the end of WW II, the US was under pressure to bring down the Japanese monarchy, not merely put Hirohito on trial for war crimes. Instead, the US kept the monarchy, including Hirohito, largely intact with only the provision that the Emperor is no longer a god.

Why ? Because it was reasoned that the Emperor as a figurehead, a symbol, is more than the man himself. Hirohito -- for better or worse -- represents EVERYTHING that was Japan. The US needed him for more than just to keep the peace but to serve as a focal point for the reformation of Japan from being an aggressor to one that would exists peacefully with her neighbor.

There is no mystery if Britons feels as strongly for their monarchy as symbol for their country. Or the Spaniards for their king. Or the Dutch for their Queen.

If it is disrespectful to defile other countries' symbols in any way, why is it acceptable to defile ours ?

Let me guess, if it is America, then it is acceptable.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:38 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,980,547 times
Looks like Monday night football was down again in ratings last night. Wonder why.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:40 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Budweiser considers ending their NFL sponsorship over protests — and they want to hear from you

Yeah it's The Blaze, but if true you can expect NFL owners to be putting a Stand or Else clause in player's contracts.

No, they just added an option when calling their customer service line so if you're calling about that, you can press 1 and leave a recorded message.

Translation: They were getting a ****load of phone calls and this is the way they're handling the overflow.

They have no plans to end their sponsorship. Or so they're saying at this time.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

And yet the NFLPA defends cheaters (Brady), rapists (Elliot), murderers, drug users (Washington), wife beaters (Olson) and child abuser (A. Peterson.) So it would have to be agreed upon by the union.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:42 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Looks like Monday night football was down again in ratings last night. Wonder why.
To be fair, they were competing with the Las Vegas news. I am sure it would have been down anyways, both hard to really put on paper how much of the down ratings was only do to the political issue.

I think this weekend will be a better sign of impact the kneeling will do to the NFL. But from what I personally seen, it is a huge impact, lots of guys walking away from the NFL. These aren't the hardcore fans, that go to every home game and buy tons of NFL products. But they did watch almost every Sunday game, and although that is "free" they are the ones that commercials are geared towards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies