Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 11:44 AM

1,879 posts, read 651,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Rosa Parks could have wrote a letter to the editor.
Rosa Parks was a real victim. Colin Kaepernick is not.

Back then, there were both systematic and customary practices of prejudice against blacks and other minorities. Today there are none.

When the injuries are real, you have justifications to take even extreme measures. The only 'injuries' Kaepernick suffers are his body and his ego from playing football, and mostly against other blacks.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:46 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,980,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
To be fair, they were competing with the Las Vegas news. I am sure it would have been down anyways, both hard to really put on paper how much of the down ratings was only do to the political issue.

I think this weekend will be a better sign of impact the kneeling will do to the NFL. But from what I personally seen, it is a huge impact, lots of guys walking away from the NFL. These aren't the hardcore fans, that go to every home game and buy tons of NFL products. But they did watch almost every Sunday game, and although that is "free" they are the ones that commercials are geared towards.
One of my neighbors puts out his big screen blow up TV every Sunday (and sometimes Monday) night in his driveway. Its been a tradition since before we moved to our block. He usually gets about 20 people in his driveway watching the game with a bonfire..
This Sunday- no game. Monday- no game. He said he is done with the NFL. He was a big fan before.
Sad- I kinda liked going outside and catching some of the game.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Looks like Monday night football was down again in ratings last night. Wonder why.
I watched it on the internet. Kareem Hunt is from my home town so K.C. is now a team ill watch. Even though I watched the game I don't think I was counted in these ratings.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Rosa Parks was a real victim. Colin Kaepernick is not.
Again....for I do not know how many times......it's not about Kaepernick.

Quote:
Back then, there were both systematic and customary practices of prejudice against blacks and other minorities. Today there are none.

And still you refuse to comment on what is going on with the Baltimore police Dept.

Why is that?

Old 10-03-2017, 12:02 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Then be prepared to deal with the consequences, good and bad.

The real problem is that you want those consequences to be all positive. If there are any negative feedback, then we must be racists.
Of course they are prepared, and obviously willing to pay the price. They protested, and there was a big PC outrage, even the president tweeting about them non-stop. Some people burned their jerseys. But in the end of the day they must be happy, because they managed to take their issue, and turn it into a national debate. The bonus is that even the NFL ratings got a big jump from it.

No idea what you mean by "then we must be a racist". Stop beating yourself up.
Quote:
Let me guess, if it is America, then it is acceptable.
Yes, the constitution gives us certain freedoms other people dont have

Old 10-03-2017, 12:09 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Let's remember that Black lives Matter started when Michael Brown tried to kill a police officer.

You get the picture.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:27 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Let's remember that Black lives Matter started when Michael Brown tried to kill a police officer.

You get the picture.
Was this the same doofas who was nicknamed the gentle giant" The same one who was out spreading the word of Jesus Christ" when he was killed for no supposed reason by a racist cop? That one?

Old 10-03-2017, 12:40 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times
Quote:
Why do I need to consider it ? There is no challenge to the argument that there is police brutality.

The challenge is whether a sporting event is the APPROPRIATE venue for any kind of grievances.
No. That is not the challenge. Sorry.
That what some people want people to focus on rather than, you know,
Quote:
Ferguson’s own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact
African Americans. The evidence shows that discriminatory intent is part of the reason for these
disparities. Over time, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust
between parts of the community and the police department, undermining law enforcement
legitimacy among African Americans in particular.
https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...ent_report.pdf

But those people are jackasses

Old 10-03-2017, 12:43 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

Is it OK for a white player to come out and stand for the anthem with a white hood on? Do not tell me there wouldn't be an uproar nationwide - and I'd be one of those screaming that this is not appropriate behavior.

Time for you to put the shoe on the other foot and just think how offensive that would be.
the fact that black players asking for police reform on police brutality that would end up helping all races, is somehow, in your mind, equal to whites wearing klan hoods is like laughable.

And you're saying that the klan hoods would be offensive, correct, however, taking a knee as an act of peaceful protest is equated with klan hoods to you, in terms of level of offensive-ness (if that's a word). How am I supposed to take you serious?

Amazing that asking for police reform that would end up helping the unarmed whites that get killed as well is somehow like an act of terrorism to yall.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:53 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
These players don't look oppressed. Blacks in our country are treated better than blacks anywhere else in the world. Other people, especially the Jews, have a history of slavery and discrimination. Rather than stirring the pot it is time that some people find a way to integrate.
I remember I made a post about how certain people think oppression has to look a certain way and people tried to tell me I was wrong. And I said people think oppression has to look like a concentration camp before they call it oppression.

Exhibit A ladies and gentlemen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies