Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 12:30 AM

1,879 posts, read 651,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Because he's not trying to disrespect the flag.
Whether he intended to or not, that disrespect was a consequence. Heard of the 'unintended consequence' ?

What could happen if you drill into concrete ?

The intended consequence is that you will get a neat round hole. But due to the nature of concrete, a potential consequence is that you will get cracks all over.

A flag, US or UK or France or whichever country, is essentially the 'mother of all symbols' inside a country and for the people. Be careful on how you use it and for what. If you use it as a grievance prop for one issue, the unintended consequence is that you risk smearing everything else of the country into the negative characterization of that particular issue.

Police brutality is not systematic or even customary in the US. Every police forces in the world have one thing they want you to do: comply to whatever the officer say.

Violate that and there will be consequences and unfortunately -- deadly ones.

Quote:
Do, you have an alternate hypothesis?
You mean an alternative for what Kaepernick could do ?

Sure, take it outside the stadium.

Quote:
That was an immature post.
Please...

Your balls are big enough to insinuate that veterans are stupid as a whole, but not big enough for you to come out and say it straight ? Despite the fact that whoever you are is behind an anonymous Internet forum handle ?

Old 10-03-2017, 12:43 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Whether he intended to or not, that disrespect was a consequence.
That makes not a lick of sense.

Disrespect is not a consequence. People being offended might be a consequence. But, disrespect cannot be a consequence. Disrespect is an action.

Quote:
Violate that and there will be consequences and unfortunately -- deadly ones.
And if those deadly ones violate the law then the perpetrator should be sentenced accordingly.

Quote:
You mean an alternative for what Kaepernick could do ?
No. I didn't mean that at all.
I mean, if you believe that his intent was to disrespect the flag, which it appears you don't actually believe, then why wouldn't he do any of the things that I listed?

Quote:
Your balls are big enough to insinuate that veterans are stupid as a whole, but not big enough for you to come out and say it straight ?
Because I don't believe that in the slightest

Old 10-03-2017, 01:34 AM

1,879 posts, read 651,575 times
Quote:
That makes not a lick of sense.

Disrespect is not a consequence. People being offended might be a consequence. But, disrespect cannot be a consequence. Disrespect is an action.
Of course it can be. Now we are heading into language.

You disrespect me, therefore, I feel disrespected.

Quote:
And if those deadly ones violate the law then the perpetrator should be sentenced accordingly.
The only way you can find out is thru a trial. Not a social media trial, but a technical one. Like the kind portrays by 'Law And Order' ?

Quote:
No. I didn't mean that at all.
I mean, if you believe that his intent was to disrespect the flag, which it appears you don't actually believe, then why wouldn't he do any of the things that I listed?
Because he did not think it thru.

Inside a stadium, you have a captive audience. Sure, I can leave any time, but after paying a couple hundred dollars and knowing I could never get my money back, and in a sense, my desire to see the game sort of prevented me from leaving.

Colin Kaepernick explains why he sat during national anthem - NFL.com
Quote:
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,"

"To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."
Never mind the falsity and ignorance of the claim that the US 'oppresses' blacks and other minorities.

There are many ways to disrespect the flag. Burn it. Step on it. Spit on it. And the list of defilement can go on. Another way is to not follow a certain ritual that includes the flag, and I made earlier posts about rituals in this discussion.

Not following the ritual is the safest way for the actor and least offensive to observers. You are disrespecting the object of the ritual in an indirect manner. You are not physically defiling the object of veneration. But you are questioning its significance and meaning.

Kaepernick is misguided. And not really that brave. Am not going to waste my time parsing his statement word by word as if I am a linguistic scholar examining the Rosetta Stone. Kaepernick is hardly a philosopher of any note. He took the easy way out that Nate Boyer showed him and with a captive audience, he is smart enough to figure out he could get some PR distance out of this.

Personally, as an immigrant who fled communism, and as a veteran who seen worse things in the world than what goes on in the US, I am not offended by Kaepernick and his actions. He is not insightful in any way, not as observant as he thinks he is, and he apparently failed to take in other opinions of the same events we all observed. I could be cynical and charge that he is nothing more than an attention you-know-what.

So what pissed me off is his indirect use of the flag in exploitation of that captive audience when there are equally, if not more, effective avenues for him to express his grievance in his amateurish attempt to be a civil rights figure.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:09 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
I still say the best course of action is for the NFL to stop doing the anthem at all. Stop the issue in its tracks, and give the left one less thing to whine about.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I still say the best course of action is for the NFL to stop doing the anthem at all. Stop the issue in its tracks, and give the left one less thing to whine about.
I am pro-life. I completely 100% support the 2nd Amendment. I believe in a balanced budget. In enforcing our borders. It makes me "left" because I can see the counties failings?

Old 10-03-2017, 04:28 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I am pro-life. I completely 100% support the 2nd Amendment. I believe in a balanced budget. In enforcing our borders. It makes me "left" because I can see the counties failings?
I'm with you on all of those issues.

But when it comes to watching the NFL -- I just want them to play the games. It's entertainment and an escape from the misery of the rest of life. I don't want to see anything political.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:

But when it comes to watching the NFL -- I just want them to play the games. It's entertainment and an escape from the misery of the rest of life. I don't want to see anything political.
Then address the issues and we can go back to that.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:22 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Alright. Name the states that you think do not have racism?
I'll have to check which states don't have Miss Black America pageants.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:

AMEN and we did notice fewer players took a knee this week. Why, who knows, but the fact is they didn't. I don't give a darn if they want to join arms during the anthem, tough I prefer they don't. I don't care if they all kneel before the singing just not during. more than anything, yes, get politics out of this, on both sides. President Trump you had your say, now lets' drop it. Players, you are not going to gain much sympathy or prove your point by acting like a bunch of babies who want their own way: find another place to voice your views on life. Play football and let us start enjoying our Sunday afternoons again.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Then address the issues and we can go back to that.
Every single issue?

We have to be 100% fair, equitable and without fault?

That will never happen until you get rid of all humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies