Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:09 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I had plenty of civics courses in college. Enough to know that it is indeed a free speech issue. Mmmmkay?
You are wrong. The government is not trying to stop them from speaking, or demonstrating. Their EMPLOYER certainly has the right, but is choosing not to, and that's fine. I am choosing to no longer patronize them.

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
https://constitutioncenter.org/inter...ts/amendment-i

So has Congress, or any branch of government tried to stop the NFL players from protesting, or speaking?

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
One has literally zero to do with the other. Why do you people have such a hard time understanding this?
Oh Please.. Kneeling for our anthem has nothing to do with police brutality against blacks either.. that does not stop all these people from defending it for 3,000 posts.. LOL..
Our anthem/our freedom AND police shooting minorities = nothing in common

Why not advocate for better police training? Go into these cities where you believe the problem is and donate to better programs for police training.. maybe mandatory continuing education classes for Police etc..

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
The guy says that Chris Rock stated it best when he said that no white man in America would trade places with him despite the fact that he is rich. Well, of course there are countless white men who would trade places with Chris Rock. Probably many millions. That doesn't tell me anything.

I do not know exactly, precisely what the problem is. I do not know exactly what is being protested. There is racism to some level or another in this country but I wonder why Asians do not complain about anti Asian racism. Persons of Asian ethnicity fought against America in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam and I would think if anything would provoke racism, that would. So is there racism against Asian-Americans worthy of their protesting? If not, we should ask: why not?

For decades I have been saying that blacks need to join-up with the larger culture. If they don't, they will always be on the outside looking in. And in the case of blacks, unfortunately that often means on the outside in violent, substandard neighborhoods with single parent households. That's the reality, is it not? Even those citizens do not deserve to face racism, but it becomes difficult for members of the larger culture to automatically dismiss a feeling of angst harbored for individuals when there are negative statistics pertaining to their particular ethnicity. The problem has no end when persons voluntarily decide that they would rather be on the outside looking in, especially where, and how they live on the outside.
Geez, all these words to deflect from the point of that man's speech.

Asians complain all the time just not to white people...lol.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will come out and say it. I've never taken a knee at the national anthem. However, I theorized this earlier. Taking a knee during the national anthem is the worst possible time to do so. A part of me cringes and thinks "Kaepernick, don't. You're going to anger alot of people". But then I look at it. Kaepernick's goal is to anger people. People saying they want him fired, people saying they want the NFL boycotted, this is getting alot of attention. I wouldn't pick the gridiron to do this. But then, I'm thinking this is why players are doing this. The attention. It's negative attention, but it's attention. Firing those players won't stop the movement itself. And it won't stop it from spreading to other sports. Very few things attract millions of people in concentrated areas like sports does. There are people who want attention to their cause, even if that attention is negative attention. The attitude is "bad attention is better than no attention".
Rosa Parks made a whole lot of people angry. Look at all these mad people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTpQDS3WxjA

Old 09-27-2017, 08:13 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Geez, all these words to deflect from the point of that man's speech.

Asians complain all the time just not to white people...lol.
In the last 40 years I have never seen an Asian protest a racist society. Asian are the highest income segment of the population so I would think that not only would anti-Asian racism be low, but also there would be a limited reason for the protest.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
One has literally zero to do with the other. Why do you people have such a hard time understanding this?
because they don't want to understand it.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:15 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
Once again this controversy has nothing to do with the national anthem. This is an artificial controversy stated by Trump to gin up his compliant base. Most thinking people know this nothing more than a political move by Trump and that is why even the owners are giving the middle finger to Trump. Unfortunately, Trump's base are automatons who take their marching orders from him and follow blindly.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:15 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Oh Please.. Kneeling for our anthem has nothing to do with police brutality against blacks either.. that does not stop all these people from defending it for 3,000 posts.. LOL..
Our anthem/our freedom AND police shooting minorities = nothing in common

Why not advocate for better police training? Go into these cities where you believe the problem is and donate to better programs for police training.. maybe mandatory continuing education classes for Police etc..

Do you understood what "building awareness" means?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:17 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
I believe I am looking at things objectively. Like you, I simply won't watch the first couple of minutes or use the "mute" button. But that still doesn't answer why so many other things have been given a pass by people who claim they will no longer watch the games. Seriously, you're going to freak out over a peaceful protest and yet watch players that have beaten women, illegally packed firearms, had multiple DUIS putting themselves and others in harm's way, electrocuted dogs, etc. There is really something wrong with that thinking no matter where you're at on the political spectrum.
I hear what you're saying.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
In the last 40 years I have never seen an Asian protest a racist society. Asian are the highest income segment of the population so I would think that not only would anti-Asian racism be low, but also there would be a limited reason for the protest.
That's because they don't trust you.

I'm a minority so I have befriended them in college..

they definite;y have strong words for the racism they receive/received from White America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies