Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:50 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It doesn't matter. It morphed into a protest movement
Good

Old 10-03-2017, 09:56 AM

1,881 posts, read 651,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I see you ignored the Ferguson report for the umpteenth time
Not to mention the Baltimore report
Why do I need to consider it ? There is no challenge to the argument that there is police brutality.

The challenge is whether a sporting event is the APPROPRIATE venue for any kind of grievances.

When expressed by a minority, the charge of police brutality implies, if not systematic, then at least customary, against minorities.

To be 'systematic' is to act according to plans, schedules, or procedures. All these are written.

To be 'customary' is to act according to socially accepted -- but unwritten -- norms.

And the charge must include pervasiveness.

Even black police officers do not agree to this.

Again -- Explain why is it unreasonable to take politics and social grievances outside of the stadium.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:05 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Again -- Explain why is it unreasonable to take politics and social grievances outside of the stadium.
Because they want to force an unwilling audience to witness a demonstration.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:14 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Just stop trotting all the players out to project an image for the National Anthem so that the government can recruit more people into the armed services.

WHICH is how all this bullshyte started.

Play the anthem - let them people in the stands swoon to the hearts content and then start the damn game.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
fine, as long as they don't continue. I wonder if you libs think they accomplished anything except for acting like the spoiled brats they are? should Trump have done or said what he did? Not in the way he did it, but was he right in what he said? as far as I am concerned 100%
Again.......I am pro-life. I completely support the 2nd Amendment. I believe we should balance the budget. I believe we should enforce the border. What makes me a "lib"?

Maybe you should think a bit, why you see things this way.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Outside the stadium is not the basement.
I am sorry you are having a hard time with this. The whole point is to do it when people can see you do it. If they had done is "outside the stadium", no one would have seen it. They did in front of the cameras, and it worked, judged by the PC outrage it created. I am sure they are happy Trump brought more attention to their cause.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
You can love your country yet be disappointed with certain aspects of it and work to have those aspects changed. It happens all the time on both the left and right. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

I agree with the the free speech part. The owners could, and have the right to, shut them down. I'm glad they're not doing that.

The Steelers stayed off the field and that blew up in their face worse than kneeling did for other teams.

These are non-violent, respectful protests of a what black people see as a horrible injustice. That you dismiss their concerns with more than little bit of prejudice (not the racial kind, necessarily) doesn't make them or their concerns wrong. You certainly don't get to tell them how they should protest as long it doesn't break any laws. The only recourse you really have is to not watch. They have the recourse to protest as long as owners allow it. Sucks to be the one without any options, doesn't it?
I am not black but can see it also.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
As I am a FIRST GENERATION immigrant, I probably understand this aspect of patriotism better than you do.

There are compromises where everyone loses a portion of what they want. That is not what is happening here.

I will tell you how old I am: I was there at literally the very first CNN broadcast. Not as a babe or toddler, but as a teenager old enough to be conscious of what is going on in the world.

Since then, I have witness the astounding evolution of media in ways our ancestors could never imagined. Side note, CNN was considered the Fox News of my day. Radical. Revolutionary. CNN got a lot of people either pressured to retired or fired at the 'Big Three'.

So no, I do not buy the argument that Kaepernick and his fellow players/protesters have lack of platforms to express their social outrage.

Just as Trump SHOULD have kept his mouth shut, these players/protesters COULD have taken their message outside the stadium. You really think BET is going to turn away a troupe of black professional NFL athletes eager to opine about Ferguson and the police ?
Is that going to reach those that the stadium protests reach? No.

Quote:
No one loses here by moving the message from one venue to another. But everyone stands to gain. The players gains respect from the fans by not inserting politics and social issues into a game where each of the fans paid a couple hundred dollars to attend. The social issue STILL gain visibility by way of another prominent speaker or speakers. The fans, just like the players, confined their opinions to outside of the stadium.

No one's freedom of speech is suppressed.
They are not protesting to gain your respect. Rosa Parks could have wrote a letter to the editor.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There is a place to exercise your rights. You don't seem to understand that. And I am not saying they do not have a right, nor have I ever suggested they lose their jobs, I simply am saying they are gaining nothing more than a bad reputation and they are all spoiled brats or most are. This is not saying they do not have the right. We have a lot of rights, but that doesn't mean we don't pay the price, from time to time when we express them. I have the right to tell my boss to go to Hell but he has the right to fire me.
Yes, wherever you damn well please. Did you see what is happening with the police force in Baltimore? Of course you did but you did not comment. They are making a difference.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
These players don't look oppressed. Blacks in our country are treated better than blacks anywhere else in the world. Other people, especially the Jews, have a history of slavery and discrimination. Rather than stirring the pot it is time that some people find a way to integrate.
It's sad that things like this has to be addressed over and over. It's not about them. You can care about things other than yourself. You might try it some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies