Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 07:07 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The NFL was already in trouble. Just another "nail in their coffin".

I see a return to interest in high school/college sports, which is a very good thing!

When a business goes political.............
Another "nail in the coffin" for the NFL?

Last I checked, the NFL was the most valuable sports league on the planet.

I keep seeing people saying "The NFL is hurting." WHERE?! Got links?! Because last year in 2016 the NFL took in over 13 BILLION DOLLARS

NFL is king.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:09 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Yet another thread where the title is a lie and the article the OP posts in support actually doesn't.

Reading comprehension appears to be at an all time low.

i'll say. you are an excellent case in point..

Quote:
He went on to say “If I express how I feel, a segment of the fanbase would attack me.”

Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The thread title is inaccurate, he wasn't "fired" he resigned. Resigned from a volunteer position. Your post wasn't even on the radar.

The posts I was referencing were the thread starter and the third one. Yours was the second. You bragged about being prescient. Now, if you claimed that the individual would be fired in your prediction then you also were inaccurate.

Either that or several people don't don't know the difference between volunteer and paid firefighters.
Does it really matter if he resigned or was fired? People in this position generally resign to keep from being fired. A volunteer fire chief is still quite an honor and yes you can be fired from it.

What's your position on what he said?

Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't care what they do, but I DO know many others that are not either. Again, they are no longer relevant to me. So.........

oh noes, what will they do without you?

Old 09-27-2017, 07:11 AM

19,012 posts, read 14,191,607 times
officeofcommissioner@nfl.com
Let 'em know your views.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:12 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Redneck bigots are going to quit watching football?

That'll be the day.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:14 AM

882 posts, read 688,396 times
Hmmm...ask for a direct answer to a very straight forward question, and you get crickets. Sometimes it's better to actually have a conversation instead of letting Op/Eds that have little to do with anything, do your talking

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I must have missed where Pilot1 has said anywhere that the government should take any action. Choose to point that out?

People upset about these players disrespecting our nation are choosing not to participate.

Are you one of those people who believe that is a violation of the 1st?

BTW, if actual fans weren't leaving the NFL, Direct TV wouldn't have to worry about refunds.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/d...d-by-protests/
You are correct. The NFL is a private enterprise. They can choose to enforce, or not enforce their rules of player conduct. I am totally fine with that. I can, and have chosen not to buy their product, nor their sponsors products any longer. Free market at work.

This is neither a First Amendment (free speech), nor a government issue. I fully agree the players, owners, and the league have a right to demonstrate the they want.

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes the team did do a protest, with jones right there with them. in fact jones led that protest. but they did it BEFORE the anthem. the team stood for the anthem.

as i have said, they have a right to protest peacefully in what ever manner they choose, but there are times when that protest should not be done. they have a message they want to get out to the country, great, i have no problem with that. there are many ways to get that message out where it will be heard. remember these guys have star power behind them right now. they can get out on the talk show circuit, the news shows, the radio, the city councils around the country, the state legislatures, the magazines, newspapers, etc.

there are a ton of outlets, why do something that makes huge numbers of people mad at you? why do something that will alienate the very people you want to reach?

this is part of the problem with dividing the country, it becomes that much harder to get the real message out. kaepernick had a golden opportunity before he started kneeling over a year ago, to get his message out, and we would be talking about that right now, and there would be a huge voice in support of his effort. but now we have people that are divided, the NFL is losing support, and the issue is lining up to be just like the global warming issue where both sides are going to make arguments and counterarguments, everyone is going to get angry at the other side, and nothing will get done.

nice job guys lets take an issue that probably could have been solved will now end up being another point of contention.
nah.. the problem is other people want to tell players how to protest and that's not how it works.

If Kap protested before the anthem folks would STILL have an issue with it and want him to do something else.

He did it the right way. Protest are supposed to make you feel uncomfortable. They aren't supposed to make you feel good or feel nothing when you see it.

The spin on what this protest is about is crazy too. When Rosa parks protested she wasn't protesting public transportation. When they sat at the counters they weren't protesting sammiches. When they marched on Selma they weren't protesting bridges and roads.

This isn't about the flag or the anthem or the troops. It's about racial inequality. If folks chose to turn off the games over it that's fine too.

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Sounds like he made a personal decision as a performer that he is ready to grow and move on.

And perhaps since he supports the protest, he'd like to feel free to express his personal views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies