Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 10:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Put the insurance vultures out of business. SINGLE PAYER NOW!

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/02/reut...-year-end.html
Single payer? No thank you.

I've dealt with many government agencies, and I don't want my health dictated by bureaucrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 10:24 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,648,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Dont worry Trump will repeal Obamacare and great coverage will be just $19.99 a month. All the health insurance problems are Obama's fault since there were no problems before 2009.
Yes it is Obama's fault as he rammed the ACA down our throats with lies.

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it,"
"If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor."
Obama promised repeatedly that premiums would decline by $2,500 per year under Obamacare.

Nobody claimed health care before 2009 was without problems, but Obamacare created more chaos by insuring a few at the expense of others. What we have now are rising premiums, rising deductibles and insurers pulling out of exchanges, which make the Affordable Care Act, unaffordable. A sad legacy for Obama and an even sadder situation for Americans.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:31 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
you want some truth? here is the truth.

Obamacare was
1. Just an insurance scheme that didn't do anything to give greater access to HealthCARE.
2. It was designed to fail so we could get another insurance scheme called Single Payer that... doesn't give greater access to HealthCARE.

Republican efforts are
1. Just another version of an insurance scheme that is designed to prolong insurance schemes in the private sector and prevent an insurance scheme controlled by government.
2. None of these efforts thus far have anything to do with greater access to HealthCARE.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:35 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Single payer? No thank you.

I've dealt with many government agencies, and I don't want my health dictated by bureaucrats.
Are corporate bureaucrats at the insurance companies better?

Private companies deny paying for care all the time. It's just good business.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:38 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

they do so because of government regulations that put them in that position.
take away the insurance companies and replace them with government regulation and a singler payer government system and you get the EXACT SAME RESULT.

fighting left and right on this is stupid. Insurance schemes run by private companies OR by government bureaucrats are just insurance schemes that leave real people in the lurch.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

Actually, yes, they are better. At least with a corporation, I can try to find relief in court, with the government, lol, good luck.

I can also compare the experiences of other people to find an insurance company that isn't as bad. With single payer my choice is limited to one choice.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:09 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
The ACA has been a nightmare for the self employed. For the first time in my life I am without health insurance. My insurance costs tripled from 2016 to 2017. Finally a couple months ago we said enough is enough, I'm worried about whatever penalty we may face, but surely it can't be worse then what we were dealing with. Sadly, no one seems to have a good answer to health insurance. I've definitely become more open to a single payer system.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:17 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Put the insurance vultures out of business. SINGLE PAYER NOW!

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/02/reut...-year-end.html
I'm not opposed to single payer but this isn't like selling loaves of bread and charging whatever you want....they have to support their increases and receive GOVERNMENT APPROVAL.

Also, their profit margin is typically less than 5%.

Calling them vultures because they need a large rate increase is ignorant since it means they're actually losing money at current prices.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:33 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm not opposed to single payer but this isn't like selling loaves of bread and charging whatever you want....they have to support their increases and receive GOVERNMENT APPROVAL.

Also, their profit margin is typically less than 5%.

Calling them vultures because they need a large rate increase is ignorant since it means they're actually losing money at current prices.
Then maybe they need to get out of the health business, and turn it over to the government. You know, the folks who run Social Security. And Medicare. Which every retired person in America finds completely satisfactory.

It's time for the USA to put people's health before corporate profits. Like evey other civilized country on earth.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Actually, yes, they are better. At least with a corporation, I can try to find relief in court, with the government, lol, good luck.
Yeah, like the airlines. And the cable companies.

Quote:
I can also compare the experiences of other people to find an insurance company that isn't as bad. With single payer my choice is limited to one choice.
"Not as bad" is one helluva recommendation for the status quo. My "one choice" is Medicare. And I like it just fine, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies