Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 05:26 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Martial arts is a great thing to learn. You can defend yourself without guns. I put my son in a martial arts school when he was 5. He's grown now and is a black belt. To me, people who use guns are scared. They have no other way to defend themselves but to use a weapon.
What if there are multiple assailants, and they are ARMED? Kicking, and punching would be useless. But, feel secure in your anti (legal) gun beliefs. You have that right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 05:29 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It's not only that. It is things like age, and gender. Not too far from me, and elderly couple had a home invasion. Three younger men forced their way into the home, and nearly beat the couple to death for a few dollars. No knowledge of martial arts could have helped them. They were old, and frail. A firearm may have deterred the criminals from entering, and stopped the whole thing before it started.

Should the elderly couple be seen as weak for having a firearm? Carjackings, and home invasions by MULTIPLE assailants happen every day. Defending oneself against these with a firearm is NOT a sign of weakness, but is a prudent method of protecting oneself.
There is another factor no one has mentioned. To defend oneself with martial arts, one must allow one's assailant to get within striking distance. I suspect many would prefer not to, particularly if said assailant is armed.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It's a macho thing. That's why the military and wars were invented. so all the young bucks could go out and display.
Guns are like feathers on a male bird.

Nature.
That's not true of the gun owners I know, many whom are older WOMEN. Are they macho, young bucks too?

Stereotype much?

Old 08-06-2017, 05:43 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Martial arts is a great thing to learn. You can defend yourself without guns. I put my son in a martial arts school when he was 5. He's grown now and is a black belt. To me, people who use guns are scared. They have no other way to defend themselves but to use a weapon.
A gun will kill you faster then anyone else is able to don't let the fact that your son has a black belt fool you, we don't live in a movie that's a fantasy.

Bruce Lee once said that the color of a belt means nothing if anything. Well something like that.

Yes, you can defend yourself without having to use a gun but you can't outrun a bullet and your not Superman. I don't care if your Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris.

The very first fight someone gets into using martial arts no matter then style get their arse handed to them. Because it's different using it in a real life situation then sparing with someone. A good street fighter is more then a match for someone using martial arts.

In the end there is ALWAYS someone better quicker, stronger then you are. Always.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
There is another factor no one has mentioned. To defend oneself with martial arts, one must allow one's assailant to get within striking distance. I suspect many would prefer not to, particularly if said assailant is armed.

All true. The first thing people are typically taught in gun use courses is the safety rules, and then the best strategy is to AVOID any, and all conflict. Avoid, Avoid, Avoid, even if you have to flee. There is no shame in running away, and getting out of danger if you are able.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:50 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
All true. The first thing people are typically taught in gun use courses is the safety rules, and then the best strategy is to AVOID any, and all conflict. Avoid, Avoid, Avoid, even if you have to flee. There is no shame in running away, and getting out of danger if you are able.
Smart. I don't care who calls me a coward. I'd rather be a live coward than a dead hero. I don't have either self-defense training or a handgun, but I have no illusions about which would be more likely to protect me from a criminal. I don't mean any disrespect to those who learn martial arts - in fact, our local Y offers classes in Krav Maga, and I keep thinking of enrolling, it sounds like a great workout - but as another poster said, someone will always be stronger...or armed.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:53 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
I have a 20 gauge made for a 16 year old. Lol. It was a Christmas present to me from my grandfather when I was a kid. I could probably get the stock lengthened or some work done on it so an adult can use it, but it's mostly just a nice memory of my grandfather.

I've always wanted a handgun, but it's never been a priority and I'm plenty busy with my business. Perhaps someday.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Not always true, used to be a bouncer and have seen a lot of big guys taken out by someone half their size. Why? Because the smaller guy is quicker and moves around, the bigger guy gets tired faster.

That's not always the case if a 300 pound guy get on top of the little guy with his knee in his chest and uses his weight on him then the fight is lost. Again I feel it really comes down to who wants it more.

The trick is to not let your anger get in the way.
You people watch too many movies.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:20 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You people watch too many movies.
LOL not really...
I had a fake ID and used to go to bars. I took Krav Maga classes and always had a knack for chatting up or dancing with a girl who's recently single and the jealous ex had friends there... always without failure get grabbed from behind or wind up out in the parking lot by a dude twice my size...

I never parked in the parking lot. Always a block or two away. Take off running in the opposite direction of where I parked, loop back around and get to the car.
If I did park in a parking lot, it was close to the exit. Had a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Used to pry the license plate down and that way if someone tried to get the license # when they called the cops, they couldn't find me

The more muscle bound someone was the less flexible they were, and slower they were. You can bench 300 400 pounds and curl 200. That's not going to help a shot square to the throat or knee in the groin. And once that happens a knee to the nose and a fast right hook to the temple or jaw and it's lights out for the meat head.

Head butts work too. Using the big guys momentum against them works wonders as well. I'll stand still. You can run full tilt at me to dive and tackle me. I'll side step and grab your shirt collar and belt loop toss you into a dumpster, car, wall, etc face first.
Or wait for a hay maker and flip you over and strangle you from behind.
And if you get back up for more and don't stop you better hope you don't wind up on your back. I'll pin my knees on your shoulders so you lose leverage and start swinging and when I **** back to swing, I'll drive elbows into your face. And if you wind up on your stomach, I'll drive my knee down square in your lower back lock my hands across your forehead and peel back as hard as I can. You won't be able to breathe. You'll become paralysed by that pain as well. Doesn't take alot of force to snap your elbow either, or rip your arm out of socket either. Just hyper extending a joint is enough to stop the biggest baddest steroid rage induced meat heat.

I'd rather hand someone their ass and inflict a beating they won't forget...
That's why I said to whoever it was not to get muscle bound. Think Bruce Lee. Have use able power. Brute strength is only good for picking up logs and engine blocks. Not fighting for your life.

More muscle bound and powerful you are, The more energy you burn and the quicker you get gassed. That's why big guys swing for the stars to knock your head off your shoulders... they need to end the fight in the first swing, and can't take pain.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:43 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
Quote:
How about we talk about the young and able who seem to need guns to defend themselves. This is what I was talking about.
Because armed combat beats unarmed combat 99 times out of a 100.

If an attacker can be stopped before he gets within arm's reach, then a potential victim has successfully defended themselves.

Pretty simple concept, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies