Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a preemptive nuclear strike?
Yes; it's the quickest, most decisive way to neutralize a threat casualties and political fallout be damned 51 15.13%
No; Nuclear weapons should only be used should the enemy strike first with a nuclear weapon 286 84.87%
Voters: 337. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 02:06 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
China could draw real blood on these shores. There is no need to drag them into conflict over NK. It's a stupid game no one really wins.
How?

If you can't describe it, then it's nothing but silly hyperbole.

China does not dictate USA defense policy. Period. And if they try, they will regret it.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:02 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
"This man will not get away with what he is doing," Trump told reporters. "If he utters one threat in the form of an overt threat ... or if he does anything with respect to Guam, or any place else that is an American territory or an America ally, he will truly regret it and he will regret it fast."

... A leader with some cajones for once. Theres a breathe of fresh air

Old 08-11-2017, 03:09 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
So when was the last time a country, that has demonstrated that they in fact do have nuclear bomb capabilities to some extent, threatened to nuke the US and even provided somewhat of a timeline to when and where this would be occurring?

Seriously I do not think that has ever happened to the US before. Sure Saddam claimed back in 90 that he had a nuke and even displayed three of what he said were nuclear detonators. I think this is entirely a new and very serious situation. And all the anti-Trump & anti-Republican haters are out there whining about trivial bs and the tough talk by our POTUS in aspect to this very serious situation. And all the anti-Trump anti-Republican haters out there even believe that Trump's the real bad guy in this situation. Remarkable.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Diplomacy WAS working. China was going in the direction the US wanted due to ramped up pressure until orange puff had to open his pie hole while on his golf vacation. Destroyed that! So much winning.
Can you please explain what you mean by "diplomacy WAS working?" The reason I'm asking is because when Obama met with Trump just prior to Trump taking over as President, Obama told Trump that NK was the MOST pressing and urgent issue internationally. He knew things were going poorly and that the violent threats (and actions) of NK were escalating and showed no sign of improvement, in spite of all the "diplomacy" over the past decades.

Here's a time line of events regarding NK's military/nuclear build up and ongoing threats - and actions. Clearly they are increasing at a rapid pace and this increase started well before Trump became President, and even before he announced his candidacy.

So I really don't see how ONE comment, made after the President was informed of a report by an international coalition of investigators that outlined their belief that NK now has miniature nuclear weapons capable of being launched in their current missiles, undid "diplomacy" that had already failed over and over again.

North Korea profile - Timeline - BBC News

Old 08-11-2017, 03:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
So when was the last time a country, that has demonstrated that they in fact do have nuclear bomb capabilities to some extent, threatened to nuke the US and even provided somewhat of a timeline to when and where this would be occurring?

Seriously I do not think that has ever happened to the US before. Sure Saddam claimed back in 90 that he had a nuke and even displayed three of what he said were nuclear detonators. I think this is entirely a new and very serious situation. And all the anti-Trump & anti-Republican haters are out there whining about trivial bs and the tough talk by our POTUS in aspect to this very serious situation. And all the anti-Trump anti-Republican haters out there even believe that Trump's the real bad guy in this situation. Remarkable.
As a democrat I certainly didn't vote for him ( don't think much of him either) but he's in a no win situation, is he supposed to let NK blackmail us and SK for years to come? Concerning NK, every president since the cease fire failed, Trump hasn't failed yet, but if he signs some nonsense agreement with them, he too will have failed by kicking the problem to the next administration. This isn't NK of past years, they now have weapons that put the lives of millions of Americans at risk.

It's crazy that members of my party want to be proactive in terms of climate, but a wacko with a million man army, and one of only 5-6 countries with ICBM's, thinks nuclear missiles headed towards a US territory should be handled with kid gloves and that we should acquiesce to their every demand.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Speaking of Ignorance, maybe you forgot that there was also a REPUBLICAN President between the two Democrats. I would also point out that none, not the Republican or Democrat Presidents, brought us to the brink of WWIII, something trump has managed to do in less than 8 months in office.
NK could have been contained and would have eventually annoyed China enough for them to deal with the matter themselves, instead the Idiot and Chief thought he knew a better method in dealing with the crazy leader of NK, by trading insults and threats with them. Face it your boy is an idiot, and anyone that thinks trump is handling this in a way that is good for the Nation or its Allies is no different.

See my post above, and read this timeline, put out by the BBC BEFORE this current crisis, and then tell me that NK hasn't been ratcheting up both rhetoric AND military aggression long before Trump even announced his candidacy.
North Korea profile - Timeline - BBC News

Obama warned Trump right before Trump took office that North Korea was the most alarming and pressing international issue brewing. He knew the top was going to blow on this - and I doubt seriously that KJU gives a rat's patooty who the American President is when he decides to wreak havoc.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:05 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
NK was never a situation where there was a clear or easily solution. Just like Israel, Syria, etc... it's always been a clusterfawk. There are not and have never been any good moves, just less bad ones.

Just like I didn't throw rocks at Trump when he bombed Syria, I'm not going to throw rocks at Trump now... if this indeed part of a thought out strategy. I can see how someone would come to the conclusion now was the time to start the game of chicken everyone's been avoiding for years. Now if he was just talking out his arse he's an idiot LOL.

That said, every single President up until now has made the moves that made sense at the time. Let's not delude ourselves that this is some sort of partisan issue. This is an irrationally-lead country occupying real estate that will allow them to kill a lot of people very quickly... and is strategically located for a couple of rival superpowers. It's a mess and always has been and no magic leader of the past would have solved this without spilling LOTS of blood.

I'm not anxious to see millions die now either. This is not fun to watch. I don't feel a rush of "Go Trump! Take that for messing with the USA!" Patriotism right now. I'm just feel apprehension.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:24 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
"This man will not get away with what he is doing," Trump told reporters. "If he utters one threat in the form of an overt threat ... or if he does anything with respect to Guam, or any place else that is an American territory or an America ally, he will truly regret it and he will regret it fast."
Trump: He will regret it fast.

Kim Jung Il: He will regret it faster.

Trump: He will regret it fastest.

Kim Jung Il: He will regret it fastest super duper lastest.

Trump: Will not.

Kim Jung Il: Will so.

Trump: He will regret it so fast, it's already happened.

Kim Jung Il: Did not.

Trump: Did so.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:44 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Trump: He will regret it fast.

Trump: He will regret it fastest.

Trump: Will not.

Trump: He will regret it so fast, it's already happened.

Trump: Did so.

obama: uh, uh, uh ,uh.....

obama: uh, uh, uh ,uh....

obama: uh, uh, uh ,uh....uh ,uh..uh ,uh..

obama: uh, uh, uh ,uh....uh ,uh..uh ,uh..

obama: uh, uh, uh ,uh....uh ,uh..uh ,uh..uh ,uh..

Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
NK was never a situation where there was a clear or easily solution. Just like Israel, Syria, etc... it's always been a clusterfawk. There are not and have never been any good moves, just less bad ones.

Just like I didn't throw rocks at Trump when he bombed Syria, I'm not going to throw rocks at Trump now... if this indeed part of a thought out strategy. I can see how someone would come to the conclusion now was the time to start the game of chicken everyone's been avoiding for years. Now if he was just talking out his arse he's an idiot LOL.

That said, every single President up until now has made the moves that made sense at the time. Let's not delude ourselves that this is some sort of partisan issue. This is an irrationally-lead country occupying real estate that will allow them to kill a lot of people very quickly... and is strategically located for a couple of rival superpowers. It's a mess and always has been and no magic leader of the past would have solved this without spilling LOTS of blood.

I'm not anxious to see millions die now either. This is not fun to watch. I don't feel a rush of "Go Trump! Take that for messing with the USA!" Patriotism right now. I'm just feel apprehension.
This pretty much describes my feelings exactly. I don't know anyone who is feeling invigorated or psyched up - everyone I know is gritting their teeth and saying, "Oh wow, I hope to heck this doesn't happen" or variations on that theme.

My son and his wife live in Guam, and my daughter and her family just moved from there. She and her family with four kids had tons of friends and were very active in their church and many of those families are still over there. She told me this morning that she's not going to panic unless families start getting evacuated - then she said she's probably going to have a melt down and I'll have one right along side her because like I said, my son and my DIL live there and they are basically trapped unless they want to quit their jobs and uproot their lives. So they are really counting on a very strong missile defense system if things continue to escalate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies