Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 08:40 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,027,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
It makes sense that the Union wanted to reunite the country and so did not prosecute the traitors. But why on earth did we allow the building of Confederate statues and monuments? They lost. They were traitors. I would take a **** on any Nazi or Confederate grave. And have...

Which leads right into my question...........why in the hell do we allow people to burn the American flag?you know. that one that all those union soldiers,Black and White fought the south under....

Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,895,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The city has a proven agenda to put public housing out in areas literally closed off from the rest of the city and underserved by public transportation. It has murder rates of 1 per 100k in white yuppy neighborhoods and 30 per 100k in black neighborhoods just 3 miles apart.

The cities view of things is as long as it's poor black folk hustling and shooting each other who gives a f*ck.

Now if a gang member opens fire and kills one tourist at taste of Chicago then all heck breaks loose....but if it's just 6 black teens catching lead outside a convenience store in Austin then who cares.

But hey, don't worry...the mayor isn't like Trump....he cares about you just like Daley did...and we know he was raised to have good attitudes towards minorities. (If you don't grasp the irony of the statement read up on his father.)
Do you want the public housing moved into your neighborhood and to make sure lower income, lower class have public transportation so the ghetto violence have transport and is in your neighborhood and not isolated?

Sounds like a good plan to be murdered in the middle of the night in a home invasion.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:54 PM

7,833 posts, read 4,580,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
Ulysses Grant owned slaves and didn't free them until ratification of the 13th Amendment.

Robert E. Lee, or more specifically his wife and her family, owned slaves prior to the war all of which Lee freed upon the death of his father-in-law.
TIL Lee was officially charged with treason but as part of Grant's offer to step down after the war, a
prerequisite was that charges be dropped against Lee.

That said, are we the only country on the planet that erects statues of failed, treasonous military leaders?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:57 PM

17,643 posts, read 15,340,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Lincoln did not want a bloodbath, he wanted to heal the nation.

I think he was right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Lincoln wasn't interested in "crushing them forever." His sole concern was bringing the country back together - that was the whole point of the war. He wanted to heal the wounds, move on, rebuild. Trying and executing the racist scum would have been catastrophic.
Lincoln did nothing so far as the prosecutions.. He was killed just a few days after the war ended. Johnson is the one who issued the blanket pardon to the soldiers. Some of the Generals and other higher ups in the Confederate government were not included, such as Robert E Lee, whose citizenship wasn't restored until 1975. Yes, that's not a typo.. 1975.

Quote:
And slavery was not criminal in the minds of the Union?
No. it was not. Remember that the Emancipation Proclamation specifically EXCLUDED states still in the Union. Slavery was not abolished in the US until December of 1865.. A full 7 months after the war ended. this is a dagger in the heart of the argument that the war was cut and dried about slavery. If that was the case, Lincoln would have abolished slavery the day the first shot was fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Correct. Jackie Robinson was treated like trash, in what was a Northern League. Check the cities in the standings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_in_baseball
I'd point you back just a few years ago.. Look up Joel Ward and the Boston Bruins.

I've said this before.. Racism is FAR more prevalent in the north than the south. Why? The south is 30+% black. You go places like Iowa, which is 3%..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It's my understanding that most Confederate statues came much later after the Civil War had ended. I don't fully understand why they were built, honestly.
Most were built around the turn of the century.. right around the time that many of the Civil War soldiers were dying of old age. so, many of the statues were erected to honor them at that time, because so many of them were dying.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:02 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,589,820 times
Lightbulb Why were Confederates not Tried and Punished after the Civil War?

President Andrew Johnson issued a blanket amnesty/pardon shortly after the war ended:

To the end, therefore, that the authority of the Government of the United States may be restored, and that peace, order and freedom may be established, I, ANDREW JOHNSON, President of the United States, do proclaim and declare that I hereby grant to all persons who have directly or indirectly participated in the existing rebellion, except as hereinafter excepted, amnesty and pardon, with restoration of all rights of property, except as to slaves, and except in cases where legal proceedings under the laws of the United States providing for the confiscation of property of persons engaged in rebellion have been instituted
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The nation needed to reunite and rebuild after a ruinous war.

Today's wannabe Johnny Rebs missed the memo.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:03 PM

25 posts, read 12,972 times
The Confederates were traitors and gross violaters of human rights by permitting slavery. This nation is too soft on its ugly past

Old 08-15-2017, 09:06 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,662,426 times
Quote:
I believe this is a main cause of these current day Nazis, alt-right, White Supremacy groups being so bold. Along with Trump obviously supporting or at least not denouncing these groups.

After WW2 the Nazis were tried and sentenced. Their monuments were destroyed and their movement crushed. Here in the US, we moved on, allowing bigotry to continue and the traitors to go free.

Would things be different if the Union laid down the law, barred any monuments or statues from being built that glorified the Confederate traitors? Would they be less bold?

I know the civil war was back in the 1800s and that such enforcement would have been difficult, but I feel we missed the chance to crush these racist, traitor scum forever.
Because they were not racist scum and the union needed them. I can tell by your post you have no knowledge of USA history. You are also foreign to USA policy.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:09 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,662,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMind View Post
The Confederates were traitors and gross violaters of human rights by permitting slavery. This nation is too soft on its ugly past
Slaves were brought to this country by Northern ships. The first slave owner was a black man. The North owned slaves after the Civil War unlike the South. Don't they teach anything but hate in school anymore?

Let me guess? You don't go back very far in this nation's history.

http://conservative-headlines.com/20...s-a-black-man/

Last edited by NCN; 08-15-2017 at 09:18 PM..

Old 08-15-2017, 09:10 PM

7,741 posts, read 5,536,795 times
Quote:
Our new government is founded upon exactly [this] idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
-Alexander Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy on March 21st, 1861. Three weeks before the beginning of the war. They probably all deserved to be punished. Who cares about statues. It's important to remember the past, and repeat its mistakes. The Stars and Bars is nothing to cheer and wave in this day and age.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:10 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,313,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Lincoln did not want a bloodbath, he wanted to heal the nation.

I think he was right.
Yeah, they want Shiite-Sunni wars here. 1500 years later and they are still killing each other to settle the score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies