Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:02 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
No...just the occasional inbred from Missouri who wants to show off her heritage of being a loser who revolted against our great country.

Kansas is as right wing as any state in the south, land of brownback koch brothers. Where do you live in kansas, kansas city?

Old 08-16-2017, 12:12 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Oh come on. These people are not in jail yet let alone a gulag. It's about keeping some separation between high and low crime areas. You do not want low income, low class, high crime people spread out all over. They'll cause violence and complete ruin of quality life in ways you can't imagine. Anyways I don't want to get way off topic.
That's not really true. Houston is pretty spread out and has very few zoning laws, so it's pretty mixed economically everywhere. You have nice homes with apartments nearby. Even if your neighborhood is not mixed, your local schools will be. Of course we have our crime, and certain areas are worse than others, but I don't like the idea of wealthy people walling themselves off from poor people.

It's good to know people of all economic stripes. And it's horrible to shunt people off to what are essentially reservations just because they're in public housing. No one wants an old style public housing unit near their neighborhood, but around here people would be surprised to know that there are quite a few luxury apartments that are actually public housing units, and they're very nice.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:49 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Lincoln did not want a bloodbath, he wanted to heal the nation.

I think he was right.
I think that's why they killed him.

He should've expelled the Confederate leadership from the country.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:05 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think that's why they killed him.

He should've expelled the Confederate leadership from the country.
Actually it was one of Americas greatest known actors who did the deed, a goateed johnny depp sex symbol of his day but a classically trained actor

https://twitter.com/dj_dwjohns1/stat...81964400173056

Old 08-16-2017, 01:13 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
And slavery was not criminal in the minds of the Union?

When the Civil War began, several northern (Union) states still had slavery.

Lincoln, with the Emancipation Proclamation, freed slaves only in the Confederate states.

You tell us whether all Unionists regarded slavery as a crime.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 08-16-2017 at 01:25 AM..

Old 08-16-2017, 01:39 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I believe this is a main cause of these current day Nazis, alt-right, White Supremacy groups being so bold. Along with Trump obviously supporting or at least not denouncing these groups.

After WW2 the Nazis were tried and sentenced. Their monuments were destroyed and their movement crushed. Here in the US, we moved on, allowing bigotry to continue and the traitors to go free.

Would things be different if the Union laid down the law, barred any monuments or statues from being built that glorified the Confederate traitors? Would they be less bold?

I know the civil war was back in the 1800s and that such enforcement would have been difficult, but I feel we missed the chance to crush these racist, traitor scum forever.
Because the people and the leaders of the North, wanted to heal the rift in our country, as fast and fully as possible. They saw no benefit in persecuting the Confederates. After all, so many of them had lost most of what they had and suffered enough from that. It's a good thing that the Reconstruction was carried-out and helped them to restore their lives.

I'm tempted to think that if the Union had just let them secede, they would have failed and later, been happy if we'd taken them back. But we'll never know how that would have been.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:45 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMind View Post
The Confederates were traitors and gross violaters of human rights by permitting slavery. This nation is too soft on its ugly past
Not just the Confederates but several Northern States allowed slavery and many of the North Generals had slaves as well as many blacks owned slaves....basically, we are all descended from slaveowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies