Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 04:40 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
A man of honor would not have fought for the right to continue to buy and sell human beings. Lee was a traitor and a scumbag.
That's the revisionist historical version. I'll go with the real one that he was a conflicted man who loved the United States but was a Virginian first and foremost and was bound by honor. I don't even know if he owned slaves and I don't care.

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Got some bad news for you. The Russia business is still going on. Grand jury and 16 of the best prosecuting attorneys in the land are working on it full time. Congressional hearings are hit and miss but no end in sight there either.

More bad news, "Trump is a racist" is old news. He's been badmouthing Mexicans and Muslims for some time now.
I think it's so cute that The Cult thinks this Russian thing is going away anytime soon.

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
... I do not see the statue of Robert E. Lee as being any different. It was erected to honor a General who served as he was ordered. ...
Who are you trying to kid?

Abe Lincoln most certainly did not order Lee to take up with the Confederates.

Nobody ordered Lee to do what he did.

Lee disobeyed his Commander in Chief and dishonored his oath to defend the Constitution and the U.S.A. all on his own.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:46 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Robert E Lee was a great American and a man of honor. Get a grip.
No he is not. He was sworn to fight and protect this country. He picked the South over the USA. That makes him guilty of treason. He got off way too easy. He should have been imprisoned/given the standard punishment for a traitor.

He fought for a cause that was committed to keeping slavery. That is what the Confederate cause was. It was a desperate bid to keep slavery. The Articles of Secession say this. Robert E. Lee felt that slavery was "good for Black people".

Robert E. Lee was not an honorable man.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:53 PM

556 posts, read 622,764 times
Does anyone see a similitary between tearing down confederate statues and ISIS destroying historic icon?

Old 08-14-2017, 04:54 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Robert E Lee was a great American and a man of honor. Get a grip.
Robert E. Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia spent only a few weeks in Pennsylvania, yet on what became known as the "Gettysburg Campaign," they managed to kidnap about 1,200 blacks - most of them free and not runaway slaves. They brought the blacks back South to sell for profit - some never made it back home.

"Man of honor" is pretty subjective.

Confederates' 'slave hunt' in North a military disgrace | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 08-14-2017, 04:55 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
The civil is often referred to as brother against brother. It was all too often just that too. Why doesn't the south have monuments to their southern brothers who were honorable and fought for their country and against slavery? Those are the ones we should be proud of. I'm afraid I don't even know the name of a single one. I'm sure I could look it up but it says that even today, we didn't make them heroes. They were.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:56 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Does anyone see a similitary between tearing down confederate statues and ISIS destroying historic icon?
The answer to your question is no.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:56 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
No. ISIS is a terrorist organization. People who want those Confederate statues down understand that the Confederates were the true terrorists. The Confederate cause was about continuing the institution of slavery in the South. Those statues were erected to honor that cause. They were erected as an "up yours" to Reconstruction and to the idea of Blacks being treated as equals. ISIS is a terrorist thug group trying to bring on a Caliphate. The people who want Confederate statues down understand that Confederates do not deserve honor.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:57 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Quote:
No. One is because of religion the other is because of racial hatred (two of the most productive methods for involving people in strife, by the way). Also, one is us, and the other isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies