Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 08:48 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,587,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The Great Society and the drug war coming on the heals of slavery and Jim Crow was a perfect recipe for screwing up a portion of black America.
Slavery and Jim Crow were horrible.

But, they are both in the past.

IMO, it is the Great Society and the drug war (more specifically inequitable sentencing and application of laws in the criminal justice system) that has harmed the black community today.

Prior to the Great Society, black women had a higher rate of marriage than did white women in the US. The black family, although discriminated against and segregated off by themselves, was strong and intact. Blacks owned businesses and there were black doctors, bankers, lawyers, all living primarily in segregated black communities.

The Great Society ended much of that by destroying the black family.

Its pretty difficult to succeed at anything when you haven't a family that shares in child-rearing responsibilities and that can put food on the table.

Added to that injury is the insult that is the discrepancy in the criminal justice system, much now due to the legislation backed by many black communities and Congressmen/women and Hillary Clinton and signed into law by Bill Clinton in the 1990s.

Its long past time that the criminal justice system deal with these discrepancies.

Of course, I also believe that the Great Society is not so great.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:53 PM

78,567 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
LOL god forbid you bring up black crime on here..And yes, I do believe it is getting better and I DO believe it will make a difference. So we will agree to disagree.
You didn't bring up anything valid about black crime. You merely committed a hate crime against statistics. lol.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:54 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
13% of the population. 98% of the noise.
So? What do you want?

Old 08-20-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
IMHO, I think there is next to no viable solutions for many of the problems that plague the USA.....including the ones outlined in the OP.

Well, logically there is answers to many major problems the USA has.........implementation, not going to happen, ever.
What solutions are you talking about exactly?

Old 08-20-2017, 08:56 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,704,068 times
Quote:
LOL god forbid you bring up black crime on here..And yes, I do believe it is getting better and I DO believe it will make a difference. So we will agree to disagree.
God forbid you bring up black crime?

People bring up crime statistics every time there's a discussion that involves black people.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If blacks weren't statistically more often criminals most people would "like them better", trust them when encountered on dark streets or well lite elevators, and hire them. How could you deny the criminal rate of blacks isn't a problem when the statistics show they are? Individuals are not criminals and are good citizens, but black Americans as a group are statistically a disproportionally big problem for crime. Until statistics change, it is prudent to be wary of black citizens, especially young, black men.
First of all, I've never denied any crime statistics. I disagree that crime plays a role in race relations. I have history to back this up. Blacks have ALWAYS been looked down on from day one.

Second, why did you ignore the rest of my post?

Third, I don't care why it is prudent to be wary of Black citizens. I'm not the Black person committing the crimes. I'm not the one living a criminal life. How do you expect ME to live in this society? Or is that something you don't give a wit about? If you don't, just say so. Otherwise, I don't care why Black men are looked at as the group to avoid. Why? Because I'm a Black male and I have to live in this society. At the end of the day, I am the one being burdened with crap that I cannot do anything about. So if I come off as angry, personally, now you know why.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Slavery and Jim Crow were horrible.

But, they are both in the past.

IMO, it is the Great Society and the drug war (more specifically inequitable sentencing and application of laws in the criminal justice system) that has harmed the black community today.

Prior to the Great Society, black women had a higher rate of marriage than did white women in the US. The black family, although discriminated against and segregated off by themselves, was strong and intact. Blacks owned businesses and there were black doctors, bankers, lawyers, all living primarily in segregated black communities.

The Great Society ended much of that by destroying the black family.

Its pretty difficult to succeed at anything when you haven't a family that shares in child-rearing responsibilities and that can put food on the table.

Added to that injury is the insult that is the discrepancy in the criminal justice system, much now due to the legislation backed by many black communities and Congressmen/women and Hillary Clinton and signed into law by Bill Clinton in the 1990s.

Its long past time that the criminal justice system deal with these discrepancies.

Of course, I also believe that the Great Society is not so great.
I disagree with this. The Moynihan Report tells me different. Many Black families were on the decline starting in the 1950s. Black divorce rates were going up in the 1950s, while White divorce rates dropped. The Black population was leading the USA in out of wedlock birth rates, fatherless homes, and broken homes going back to the 1950s. Black men had a harder time getting jobs compared to White men. Things were already going bad.

Black people are owning businesses, become doctors, bankers, lawyers, and engineers today. In many cases, higher rates today than in the 1950s. The difference is before, they could only live in segregated areas. Now, Blacks can go wherever they want.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,648,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
God forbid you bring up black crime?

People bring up crime statistics every time there's a discussion that involves black people.
Wait, now...you're supposed to go along with the innocent routine. You know...as though the OP doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Black crime is one of the biggest subjects brought up on city data, ad nauseum. In fact, Black people in general seem to be talked about alot of CD, and in alot of cases, a negative way.

And if the crime rate is dropping, bring it up?

Old 08-20-2017, 09:09 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,816,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If blacks weren't statistically more often criminals most people would "like them better", trust them when encountered on dark streets or well lite elevators, and hire them. How could you deny the criminal rate of blacks isn't a problem when the statistics show they are? Individuals are not criminals and are good citizens, but black Americans as a group are statistically a disproportionally big problem for crime. Until statistics change, it is prudent to be wary of black citizens, especially young, black men.
This kind of stereotyping never helps any discussion. The statistics are one thing but there are plenty of fine young black men who are not deserving of this kind of broad brush. There are plenty of criminal white, hispanic, asian young men as well. Of course there are locations that are less safe for lots of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies