Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:12 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,101,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes, as a salaried IT manager, I worked for "free" a whole bunch, because I was not eligible for any overtime. It was part of the job. I knew it going in, and I agreed to it just as these agents did. Additionally, I didn't make close to $160k.
Fair enough. I was salaried middle management at a company and routinely put in 60-70 hour weeks during our busy season, which happened at each quarter end and lasted a few weeks. But if they have reached their cap in August with four months to go something is not right here. People are going to start quitting rather than work so many hours week after week after week with no further compensation. They just will, and who can blame them?

Quote:
The POTUS should have a fixed travel budget that can't be surpassed unless during a war declared by congress.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:16 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,411,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Trump and his 18-member first family spend so much time on vacation and at Trump properties,"

I quit reading right there becuae they are NOT "on vacation"

"Ignorance is bliss" as they say.

Keep on with the hate and lying posts and your over 1,000 LOST political seats will only INCREASE!
I also read that SS has plenty of money to finish the year and the money deal wasn't trump but unfounded obligations that go all the way back to carter days

Old 08-25-2017, 07:17 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,065,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So you think they should work for free once they hit their cap? Put in hours of overtime and not get paid? Would you?
Many people in good paying jobs are not paid hourly and are expected to put in extra hours when needed.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:19 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,065,358 times
Quote:
The POTUS should have a fixed travel budget that can't be surpassed unless during a war declared by congress.
Seems like a good idea.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:19 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,411,740 times
I understand that trump offered to use his own plane but SS would not allow it, can't see why a smaller plane can't be use on shorter trips

Old 08-25-2017, 07:24 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,877,458 times
Quote:
I agree with that.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:27 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,298,024 times
This family is apparently not into "America first," as they are more into the "Trump Family First."

"...The Trumps are set to become the most expensive first family in history if they don’t immediately begin reducing their lavish spending habits and frequent trips across the globe – and taxpayers are set to continue picking up the tab for as long as they keep it up. For context, President Donald Trump is expected to outpace the entirety of former President Barack Obama’s eight-year travel costs with plenty of time to spare in just his first year as the leader of the free world...".

"In January, for example, Trump's half-brother Eric cost taxpayers nearly $98,000 when he went on a business trip to Uruguay...The next month, Trump and two of the first sons forced the Secret Service to spend about $53,000 when they stayed in Vancouver for a Trump hotel opening....

"...Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner’s spring skiing holiday cost US taxpayers at least $65,000 (£50,300) in Secret Service protection, according to reports..."

"...Tiffany Trump... vacationing with her boyfriend....indicates that her trips did not come cheap.Purchase orders showed that the government spent $22,439 on hotel expenses while Trump was abroad in Berlin in June...he State Department splashed out over $100,000 on car rentals during Tiffany Trump's recent vacation in Italy. Federal records show that three separate payments in the amounts of $54,694.84, $39,188.64 and $23,605.96 were made on July 18 in Rome....That was two days before Tiffany and Marla disembarked in Portofino after almost two weeks spent cruising up the coast of Italy.

Breaking Down All Of The Trump Family's Travel Costs And Lavish Expenditures

Protecting Trump and his family on their travels cost $30 million so far, report says

Ivanka Trump

Tiffany Trump's Roman holiday cost taxpayers $100K | Daily Mail Online

Donald Trump: Cost of Weekend Travel to Taxpayers | Fortune.com

Old 08-25-2017, 07:28 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,877,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I understand that trump offered to use his own plane but SS would not allow it, can't see why a smaller plane can't be use on shorter trips
Trump's personal aircraft was not considered safe enough.

Air Force 1 is designed to survive a Nuclear Blast on the ground and evade missiles, along with other security devices and equipment.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:29 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,667,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Fair enough. I was salaried middle management at a company and routinely put in 60-70 hour weeks during our busy season, which happened at each quarter end and lasted a few weeks. But if they have reached their cap in August with four months to go something is not right here. People are going to start quitting rather than work so many hours week after week after week with no further compensation. They just will, and who can blame them?
They are still making $160k.

I bet you if you asked whether they'd rather only work 40 hours a week for $80k or the current situation, I bet I'd know which they would choose.

Personally, I'd do POTUS protection for 4 years, put a ton of money in the bank and then transfer off that detail.

Of course they want all the overtime and end up at $275k per year. Sorry, but they CHOSE to take a job that caps them at $160,300. If they don't like it, transfer off protective detail. I'd bet there are lots of $80k SS agents that would jump at the chance of doubling their salary for a few years.

Sorry, I just won't shed any tears for anyone who CHOSE a job with such restrictions that are making $169,300 a year.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:30 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,916,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I didn't know that they only set aside a certain amount for the protection of the president and his family. Well, they've gone through that. That's regular pay AND overtime pay budget set-aside.

Looks like guarding the Trumps is expensive, although to be fair, this is supposedly a problem that predates the Trump Administration. Still, after what he said about Obama's costs to the country, this is a bad look!

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/21/p...ily/index.html
More proof that people don't care how they spend others money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies