Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:42 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Yah, simple-minded. I've seen that one dozens of times. I have two of his books. But I don't believe that little cartoon is an adequate guide to the next, say, 100 years as technologies we can hardly imagine today come to dominate waking life and the companies that "own" them come to dominate the world. Do you?
Thing is, nobody is forced to use neither Facebook nor Google nor Amazon. It's quite easy not to. Not necessarily convenient, but it's not hard. And I think we are forgetting how quickly these brands can fall from grace. MySpace was mentioned upthread. Yahoo was the behemoth once.

The actual de facto monopolies are the ISPs. It is MUCH easier to change browser, search engine and online shop than it is to move to another ISP, and that's if you're lucky enough to live in an area that's served by several. Yet their obligation to be impartial carriers have been under constant attack from the same people who are suddenly clutching their pearls about monopolies. So I find their sudden realization that they actually have firm principles very convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 04:45 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,712 times
I'd agree. I mean when I searched google for a video of a band all I could find were links to youtube first before anything else from sites like DailyMotion came up. Google literally will force you to consume what they want you to. It's also why I use other engines now like Duckduckgo.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:30 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Most social media like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are very far left, and censor speech they do not like. It is another place where a huge amount of information is exchanged, but they don't allow freedom of speech of it isn't far left, liberal/progressive. So you are only getting one side of any issues. Norcal, and San Francisco/silicon valley is now controlling a large content of our speech. Not good.
Innovation tends to be the domain of the progressively-minded, rather than traditionalists? What a surprise.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:33 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Why doesn't the right just build their own platforms? Lack of skill? Too bad.

Maybe stop whining all day and go learn something useful.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:36 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Innovation tends to be the domain of the progressively-minded, rather than traditionalists? What a surprise.
Silicon Valley and the tech vanguard were once far more libertarian / individualist / classically liberal. Now it is decidedly leftist / authoritarian / collectivist.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:39 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Why doesn't the right just build their own platforms?
Good idea, I'll get right on creating a Google rival that stresses rationality and objectivity over emotionality and social justice.

If, in 50 years, most of human interaction and activity happens on a corporate-owned global metaverse, will folks still be happy all that power is in the hands of a corporate behemoth that can make arbitrary rules at a mere whim? How do you know you and yours will still be ideologically "correct" x decades into the future?

Old 08-24-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Silicon Valley and the tech vanguard were once far more libertarian / individualist / classically liberal. Now it is decidedly leftist / authoritarian / collectivist.
I think that classic liberalism is more at odds with Trump's agenda than it was with Obama's.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:57 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
Republicans are gutting net neutrality and there's nobody to blame but those who voted them in.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:16 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
What a falsehood!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
What a falsehood!
I'm open to being convinced otherwise. What are your counterexamples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies