Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:16 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Ok. What are the names of these right-wing academics, computer scientists and engineers who built the Internet?
Terman, Shockley, Noyce, Kilby for starters.

https://web.stanford.edu/class/e145/...als/noyce.html

Licklider.

I didn't say anything about "right-wing". I just disagreed with the claim that the pioneers weren't traditionalists. However, I also disagree with your false dichotomy between "traditionalists" and "progressives". Progress comes from building on tradition, not from destroying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post

Licklider.

I didn't say anything about "right-wing". I just disagreed with the claim that the pioneers weren't traditionalists. However, I also disagree with your false dichotomy between "traditionalists" and "progressives". Progress comes from building on tradition, not from destroying it.
Interesting. I've mostly heard about Vint Cerf, Davies, etc. I look forward to reading more about these contributions.

You posted that "The right did build its own platforms like the Internet". How are you differentiating between the right and right-wing?

I would also say that progress comes more from building on previous "knowledge" than "traditions". I think traditions connotes more of a generational transfer of culture or beliefs that are not necessarily rooted in science or objective reasoning.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:23 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
The right did build its own platforms like the Internet and every subsidiary technology that led to it. The problem is that anything that individualists create will eventually be hijacked by groupists.
You appear to have missed Tim Berners-Lee skewering Trump's Internet legislation - you know, letting ISPs gather and sell your search data. Or Vint Cerf letting Ajit Pai have it on the subject of Net Neutrality.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:26 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What stops a gay couple getting married from starting their own cake bakery to serve their market?
So you agree that the baker should be forced to bake the cake for the gay couple?

Old 08-24-2017, 11:28 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
The Right believes in freedom of association, freedom to separate, and self-government.
Ergo, government needs to force Facebook to make their infrastructure available for viewpoints they do not wish to be associated with.

Stop it. You proclaim principles, you don't have them.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
Quote:
Look The Left lives by lies.
That's hysterical considering we have the biggest liar in history in the Whitehouse
Quote:
The Right just wants to be left alone to continue building on what they have built.
Is that why the right enacts laws to discriminate against others, like Gays, Trans, immigrants, women's rights? Hardly. The right wants to oppress us all with their onerous religious believes. They are ISIS, praying to a different god.
Quote:
This is what the term "progressive" should mean. The Left wants to unleash the forces of entropy to tear things down. As Michael Ledeen said, "Creative destruction is our middle name, both within our own society and abroad. We tear down the old order every day, from business to science, literature, art, architecture, and cinema to politics and the law."
Uh-huh. That's why you're on here complaining about all these companies the progressives built, because um, the left only knows how to tear stuff down. You want to tear stuff down? How about attempting to decimate our national monuments? Our school system? The environment for god's sake. That's the Republicans, as Bannon would say, "Tear it all Down"
Quote:
The Right believes in freedom of association, freedom to separate, and self-government. The right believes in live-and-let-live, while the Left believes in a worldwide empire and a boot stamping on a human face — forever.
The right believes in stifling humans rights of everyone who isn't a white Christian male. That and stealing from the poor to give to the rich.

Last edited by kdog; 08-24-2017 at 11:59 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:

Licklider.

Did you even read your own link? It's an essay on the role of Noyce in the building of Silicon Valley. Here's a paragraph.

"Everywhere the Fairchild émigrés went, they took the Noyce approach with them. It wasn't enough to start up a company; you had to start up a community, a community in which there were no social distinctions, and it was first come, first served, in the parking lot, and everyone was supposed to internalize the common goals. The atmosphere of the new companies was so democratic, it startled businessmen from the East. Some fifty-five-year-old biggie with his jowls swelling up smoothly from out of his F. R. Tripler modified-spread white collar and silk jacquard print necktie would call up from GE or RCA and say, "This is Harold B. Thatchwaite," and the twenty-three-year-old secretary on the other end of the line, out in the Silicon Valley, would say in one of those sunny blond pale-blue-eyed California voices: "Just a minute, Hal, Jack will be right with you. " And once he got to California and met this Jack for the first time, there he would be, the CEO himself, all of thirty-three vears old, wearing no jacket, no necktie, just a checked shirt, khaki pants, and a pair of moccasins with welted seams the size of jumper cables. Naturally the first sounds out of this Jack's mouth would be: "Hi, Hal. ""

Note the bolded sentence. You lose.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:05 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,333,111 times
Quote:

Licklider.

Military research was the prime mover, arpanet in 1969 linked mainframes at universities, government agencies, and defense contractors around the country.

Military research created much of the encryption technology that people uselike TOR, created SSL and the RSA algorithm and had a hand in funding everything from the laser to UNIX.

Darpa now attracts the greatest engineers in the country, its not this guy in his garage crap , it big money research and universities and military research especially.

Its not even just silicon valley, when the U.S. forced Bell Labs to license its patents to all comers. The result was a ton of innovation (semiconductors, solar cells, lasers, cell phones, computer languages, and satellites) commercialized by new companies (Fairchild Semiconductor International, Motorola, Intel, and Texas Instruments) and really was the the formation of Silicon Valley. You just dont hear as much about at&t research because its in dallas and not the liberal bay area.

"Bell Labs invented the laser, microwave, UNIX, C, C++, semiconductor, laser, and cell phones. Their engineers also showed that physicists were right about the Big Bang when they found the radiation left behind due to that (The noise was messing up their antennae.). Many of the problems that Bell worked to solve were for the US Military

https://www.pcrisk.com/internet-thre...d-the-internet

https://twitter.com/leapingrobot/sta...72598331080704

Old 08-25-2017, 06:03 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Military research was the prime mover, arpanet in 1969 linked mainframes at universities, government agencies, and defense contractors around the country.

Military research created much of the encryption technology that people uselike TOR, created SSL and the RSA algorithm and had a hand in funding everything from the laser to UNIX.

Darpa now attracts the greatest engineers in the country, its not this guy in his garage crap , it big money research and universities and military research especially.

Its not even just silicon valley, when the U.S. forced Bell Labs to license its patents to all comers. The result was a ton of innovation (semiconductors, solar cells, lasers, cell phones, computer languages, and satellites) commercialized by new companies (Fairchild Semiconductor International, Motorola, Intel, and Texas Instruments) and really was the the formation of Silicon Valley. You just dont hear as much about at&t research because its in dallas and not the liberal bay area.

"Bell Labs invented the laser, microwave, UNIX, C, C++, semiconductor, laser, and cell phones. Their engineers also showed that physicists were right about the Big Bang when they found the radiation left behind due to that (The noise was messing up their antennae.). Many of the problems that Bell worked to solve were for the US Military

https://www.pcrisk.com/internet-thre...d-the-internet

https://twitter.com/leapingrobot/sta...72598331080704
I still need to read the other article, but what does it matter if the military funds it? The military funds lots of projects that academics work on today, and what do you think are the politics of these researchers at schools like Stanford, Berkeley and MIT?

Old 08-25-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I still need to read the other article, but what does it matter if the military funds it? The military funds lots of projects that academics work on today, and what do you think are the politics of these researchers at schools like Stanford, Berkeley and MIT?
Exactly. I failed to see the relevance of Florida's post. Bell Labs is in New Jersery, an overwhelmingly democratic state. Ditto with Mass, where JCR Licklider who worked at MIT and BB&N, both in Camebridge which is as left as SF. Which is why I call BS on hbdwihdh378y9's assertion that Licklider was right-wing. Highly unlikely, but I can find nothing on his politics.

The first four nodes of the ARPANET were in universities, three of which were in California. While the ARPANET was government funded, all of the research was being done at west coast and east coast universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies