Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:26 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I think you fall for pathetic yellow journalism.

Osteen couldn't open the church earlier because it was filled with water.

I suppose he should have opened it to homeless swimmers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
But just watch the anti-religious gobble up the fake news, just like they always do.

The pictures I saw clearly showed some areas of the church had water. Can you imagine the fake outrage if people had poured in and someone, especially a child, drowned?

I'm no fan of mega churches and wealthy pulpit shriekers, but nothing this guy could have done would please the constantly offended. Always angry, looking for a reason......
I agree... I'm a Christian, but no fan of bible thumpers. In this case, Osteen did all that he could do. The church was half submerged and though the bottom level remained dry there was a good chance all that water on the upper floors could have crashed in.

This thread could have just as easily been the outrage at him opening a shelter he knew was unsafe. Damned if does and damned if he doesn't. Typical of the classy left feigning their outrage on every angle so only they can be right.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-30-2017 at 10:35 AM..

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
He did not meet with one actual flood survivor. Nor did he show any empathy or sympathy for survivors and people who lost their lives---he did not even mention them. Anyone with something other than stones in their brain and heart would realize that it would look inappropriate to wear 6-inch stilettos to go on a trip to view a catastrophic natural disaster. Not the time to make a fashion statement.

1) Anyone living in that area is an "actual flood survivor."

2) Texans in general appreciate his business like approach from what I can tell.

3) Melania wore those heels walking onto the plane in DC - who cares what she wore then? She was wearing appropriate clothing when they landed in Houston. Isn't that what matters?

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think people just couldn't imagine what they were being told. And not only that - let's be real - our media often exaggerates situations for ratings. It's the sad truth.

When that's coupled with 1) something that's never happened on this magnitude before and 2) not WANTING to believe it could be as bad as you're being told, I can see how people would be in denial about the situation.
I'm sure you are correct about "not wanting to believe" and "not able to imagine" -- I've seen/experienced the magnitude of both Water & Wind. It's something you never forget.

I'm not sure that everyone understands the magnitude of the rescue effort.
Keep in mind that this is now 5 solid days of Destruction - usually these storms produce danger for a matter of hours. Constant Rescues over many, many 100's miles with many, many Millions of people.

And it's not done. The Rescue response by Federal/State/Local and everyday Citizens has been incredible.
I just heard a responder answer "How long will you be here?" - He said - "As long as it takes".

I know the partisans in this thread are having fun with their nasty comments ....
It's not fun for us in Texas - it's about people fighting for their lives and then facing the destruction of that Life. My stomach churns every time I read these posts that show total disregard for the suffering of these folks. It's hard to accept that there are these people that can do that.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:28 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Osteen is a pretty typical Christian these days. "Do as I say, not as I do" with little to no real connections to the faith they claim to have. I mean, Trump's base support is full of evangelicals who do nothing but excuse his racism, sexism, bigotry, ignorance, lies, authoritarianism, narcissism... the list of things they look the other way on is ever-growing. That Osteen had to be publicly shamed into doing what should be a natural reaction is pretty normal anymore.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I'm sure you are correct about "not wanting to believe" and "not able to imagine" -- I've seen/experienced the magnitude of both Water & Wind. It's something you never forget.

I'm not sure that everyone understands the magnitude of the rescue effort.
Keep in mind that this is now 5 solid days of Destruction - usually these storms produce danger for a matter of hours. Constant Rescues over many, many 100's miles with many, many Millions of people.

And it's not done. The Rescue response by Federal/State/Local and everyday Citizens has been incredible.
I just heard a responder answer "How long will you be here?" - He said - "As long as it takes".

I know the partisans in this thread are having fun with their nasty comments ....
It's not fun for us in Texas - it's about people fighting for their lives and then facing the destruction of that Life.
Couldn't rep you again but right on. This will last for weeks and months in fact.

I really recommend this book for some understanding of what lies ahead for both survivors and rescue workers:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Dead_in_Attic

True story from a Katrina survivor and rescue worker. It talks a lot about the psychological effects of long term destruction and devastation and living in it.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:32 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
https://ibb.co/iS4O95

Waiting in line to drop stuff off.

Miraculous how quickly the church recovered from the flooding.

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Osteen is a pretty typical Christian these days. "Do as I say, not as I do" with little to no real connections to the faith they claim to have. I mean, Trump's base support is full of evangelicals who do nothing but excuse his racism, sexism, bigotry, ignorance, lies, authoritarianism, narcissism... the list of things they look the other way on is ever-growing. That Osteen had to be publicly shamed into doing what should be a natural reaction is pretty normal anymore.
I don't care one bit whether Joel Osteen comes or goes, but he probably helped more people between sunrise and noon yesterday than you'll ever help in your entire life.

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That's what they're reporting on our local news too. I live in the Houston metro.
Hope you're safe and dry, Katie.....

Old 08-30-2017, 10:34 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Couldn't rep you again but right on. This will last for weeks and months in fact.

I really recommend this book for some understanding of what lies ahead for both survivors and rescue workers:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Dead_in_Attic

True story from a Katrina survivor and rescue worker. It talks a lot about the psychological effects of long term destruction and devastation and living in it.

Kathryn, I know you're in TX. Hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:36 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

I have most of them on ignore. The ugliness and hatred is downright toxic.
toxic; I agree.

Quote:
Really, there are a number of fools on the left side. Franken, Piglousi, Pocahantas, Joe AssGrabber Biden, Bernie, really, a lot of fools to pick from. Too bad Bawney Frank doesn't...
Quote:
What a disgusting pig.
Quote:
The ugly American is Ugly Hillary.
Quote:
That pathetic old hag can't open her mouth without inserting her foot.
Newsflash, Cankles: America was creeped out every time they saw you. And we still are.
Quote:
I well remember an idiotic president who addressed a military group and called them "corpses".
What a dumbass that one was! The idiot also thought there were 57 states.

Quote:
He even parked his ugly ass in the front row
Quote:
Damn! How many times must you be told that those are the exact turds in the sewer that must be drained?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies