Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:17 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Nobody wanted to deny relief for Sandy. It was all the pork attached that people, many people, were against, and rightfully so.

Fetched up DC couldn't create a simple bill if their pathetic lives depended on it.

Threads like this just prove how ignorant some people are.
The delegation from Texas were just trying to paint themselves as fiscal conservatives on the backs of those suffering from Sandy.

Quote:
The problem with that particular bill is it became a $50 billion bill that was filled with unrelated pork. Two-thirds of that bill had nothing to do with Sandy,” he said.
Uh, no, said Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler, who walked through the bill line item by line item. “It is wildly incorrect to claim that the bill was 'filled with unrelated pork.' The bill was largely aimed at dealing with Sandy, along with relatively minor items to address other or future disasters.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.49e56b9b4521

More detailed article on the Sandy bill, as I recall they wanted to hold up the bill until they had offsets, but Cruz's claim that it was 2/3 pork is absurd.

Quote:
Many Republicans said that the emergency spending should have been offset by cuts elsewhere. House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), at the time chairman of the Budget Committee, was one arguing the money needed to be offset. “This legislative abuse is an insult to families facing real emergencies in the wake of the storm,” he declared.
Many Republicans in the House voted for an alternative bill, crafted by Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.), now President Trump’s budget director, that would have funded a smaller emergency bill with a 1.63 percent across-the-board reduction in spending on discretionary programs. “It’s so important to me that I think we should pay for it,” he said. But his gambit was rejected

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.999b8e6cc91e

Last edited by Goodnight; 08-30-2017 at 11:39 AM..

Old 08-30-2017, 11:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Stupidity is thinking that trump will win an election 3 years from now because Miliania wears pumps then changes to tennis shoes. As I recall the right whined on an on about Mrs Obama clothes, how did that work out?
She changed her clothes, period, on the plane, not just her shoes to sneakers. She was wearing some kind of back top in DC and a white shirt in TX. Oh wait, are you now going to tell us it's because she's racist?

Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
"they"

That level of specificity is troubling.
I have yet to meet a single liberal who could admit that Obama or Clinton made major mistakes.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I have yet to meet a single liberal who could admit that Obama or Clinton made major mistakes.
And just how many liberals have you met?

Old 08-30-2017, 11:20 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Thanks....question though.....why donate there?
It's the closest place to donate things to me, they were in need of baby stuff which I had gotten a ton of (and went and got more) and the line for people who needed food and supplies was wrapped around the building.

I don't like Lakewood and I know far more about that church than the people in this thread defending them, but I know when to put that aside when people are in need.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:21 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
And just how many liberals have you met?
There are plenty on this board. Eager to bash Trump for the most minor offenses yet have no problem with things like Hilary's illegal email server, Benghazi or Obamacare.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:22 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

You didn't "fix" anything you just added your sad, jealous spin to it. If you simply must share your bitter jealousy with the world, post it under your own name instead of attributing it to me in a fake "quote."

How would I be jealous of a man who makes billions of people who believe in a higher power and suckers them into giving him money?

Old 08-30-2017, 11:25 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
During the last few days, I've seen brave and selfless men on boats saving men, women and children from rising floods, women at shelters comforting terrified children, police and other first responders working 48 hours straight on nothing but a candy bar for food, and volunteers rallying in people and animal shelters to help the victims of this storm. Despite disheartening posts like the original post, I think this storm reflects the best in Americans, who we are, and it gives me hope for our future.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:26 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
How would I be jealous of a man who makes billions of people who believe in a higher power and suckers them into giving him money?
Don't engage posters who don't know what the heck they're talking about and let them continue to look dumb.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:27 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I didn't know posing nude was "classy" in Republiland, but you do you.
Well, obviously you don't know any 50+ year old male Fox News watching conservatives. Trump is the 'cool rich dude' they live vicariously through. Melania is like a goddess to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies