Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 12:19 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Do you know what punishment looks like? Well there you go ...
The Bible offers many examples of punishment.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
The Democratic Party doesn't run on "family values" . Evangelical Christians are the biggest hypocrites in this country. They cheat, they steal, they want to forced their beliefs down every else throats.
I am en evangelical Christian, and do not agree with your generalization. There are misinformed people in all groups of people.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:23 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Didn't you forget about all the hatred for President Trump?
Oh, that doesn't count, silly!

Old 08-26-2017, 12:24 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Religion is simply another method to how the elitists controll the masses.
Unfortunately most people do not realize they are being manipulated and controlled through religion, tv, social media, etc. The elitists know that if they can divide the masses they will never be challenged. As long as they can pit one group against another they can keep them in financial salvery. The elitists have managed to shift most of the wealth of the US to the top 1% leaving millions without jobs and homeless. Yet the masses focus on a statue, or the rights of transgender, etc., all while the elitists are plotting against them.
Trump is neither a Democrat or Republican. He is an elitist and he is serving his group very well at the expense of the American people.
It's time to wake up folks.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I'm glad you asked.

Would you care to point me to the Scripture that says we should support evil? We can go from there.
The person I quoted in the OP said we should support ANY leader, evil or not. It was her point, not mine.

Quote:
By the way, I have been a Christian since 1980. I am "born again", which, if you are a Christian, you understand that is a Biblical description of a believer, not a term used of a particular type or class of Christian that non-believers would call (derogatorily) "fundies," or "fundamentalists." I would call myself an Evangelical Christian as well, and I reject the modern movement known as "The Emerging Church" and also the "Prosperity Gospel" and anything that has to do with Rick Warren and that bunch.

My theological knowledge is from years of Bible study both in church and from such excellent teachers as John MacArthur, and R.C. Sproul, as well as a few others.

To my knowledge, there is no Scripture that commands us to support evil. If I'm wrong, please point it out. Quote Chapter and verse please.
Why do you insist I think we should support evil?

If you ever visit the Christianity forum, you'll learn people thrown the "fundie" word at me all the time.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:30 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
No good argument start with a basis of authority.

If you use the Bible as authority, you have to understand how authority works. People are either compelled to accept or choose to accept authority. If you compel people to accept the authority of the Bible, you are a tyrant and decidedly unChristian. If you allow people the choice, you have to accept that some people will not accept the authority of the Bible, therefore, you cannot use it's authority to convince them of it's own authority.
Point taken. However the fact remains that all religions are not equally valid. Whether or not one chooses to believe the Bible is a personal choice ...but that does not automatically validate other religions or invalidate the Bible as a source of authority. There is more evidence to support the validity of the Scriptures (Judaism and Christianity) as historical and authoritative than for any other religion.

So, if we cannot base an argument on anything authoritative, where are we? Is past history not authoritative? It is, isn't it? But we can't use it as a basis of authority to make an argument?

The Bible is a history book. It is validated to a large degree by archaeological finds. In fact, we even have the Dead Sea Scrolls, which have validated the accuracy of later translations of the Scriptures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
That last sentence sounds absurd. Because it is.
Did Jesus lie then? Those were his words. He is the only way. It doesn't matter if someone believes otherwise.

I don't accept that a college degree necessarily makes one authoritative. A college degree only shows one has completed a course of study. Most people attending college today know that in order to pass a course they must agree with their "professor." There is no exchange of ideas taking place, and independent thought is not allowed. Debate earns one an "F."

"Progressivism" came to the US through the university system. It is an utter failure. Get my point?

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 08-26-2017 at 12:52 PM..

Old 08-26-2017, 12:32 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have yet to hear God booed at the Republican Convention. I heard that happen at the Democratic Convention when it was in Charlotte. Go with the ones that allows freedom of religion. What a president does is less important than what he allows us to do. I like freedom of speech and freedom of religion. When that goes our country goes with it.

Some of the talk I hear from the left is scary in that it sounds like a communist country talking.
Seems like what you really meant to say was you agree with free speech but only if it's saying what you want to hear. When it's something that doesn't validate your beliefs, then you're scared of it. Of course, the real question is what do you do when you're scared of it. Are you a fascist that then wants the government to protect you from scary beliefs that aren't your own or do you really like freedom of speech?

That's not a left/right issue. Fascists are on both sides. They like the idea of free speech but when it scares them you see the true colors come out. Neo-Nazis shouldn't be allowed to have that opinion because it's scary to me. Muslims shouldn't be allowed in the country because they are scary to me. Let's use power of government and make it happen. I see plenty of that from both sides.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I honestly (and I mean this in all seriousness) do not know how any Christian could be a Democrat. The Leftist ideology is totally incompatible with Christianity.
Jimmy Carter was a born again Christian, and his ideology of helping the poor and the sick was very compatible with Christianity. Things are not as black and white as you think.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
American Christians seem very different to Christians elsewhere.
Unfortunately many US Christians allow politics to influence their faith. They say things like universal healthcare is evil, which makes no sense whatsoever. Christians in other countries are supportive of it. How do you explain that?

Old 08-26-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Evangelicals supported Trump for one reason, and one reason only. They believe he will appoint conservative judges and justices and that eventually Roe v Wade will be overturned by these judges.
Unfortunately that did not happen. Gorsuch said on day one that he will not attempt to overturn issues which are already settled by the SC, and that includes Roe vs Wade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies