Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shoot looters on sight?
Yes 132 51.76%
No 112 43.92%
I'm too wishy-washy to have an opinion. 11 4.31%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 06:02 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Which is your decision. Other victims must have the ability to decide how they wish to defend their lives/fruits of their labor as they see fit. If you decide for them you are not respecting their right to live and live freely.

You must understand that when someone steals my TV (thus enslaving me) they have forfeited their right to life.

Violating my right to live freely ends your rights. It's as simple as that.

Some people would be OK with not harming a burglar if he only took a tv. Same person might be OK with a tv and a computer. Same person might be OK with a tv, computer, and the burglar only wounding them with a firearm.

Another man may not be OK with any of it, including the burglar taking only the tv, before he asserts his rights as the private property owner. At that point if he blows the burglar's head off...oh well. Once his rights were infringed upon the burglar forfeited his right to life.
I agree with you partly, and disagree with you partly.

Upthread there was a whole subjective morality thing. That's what you're describing. My subjective morality would not allow me to kill someone in defense of a television. However, that in no way means "ok with it".
Other people's subjective morality allows them to kill someone for a television.

I don't even think that you believe yourself fully. I'm sure you can think of situations where one is not allowed to live freely that does not constitute a reason to kill another person - say a building code.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:17 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Too wrongs don't make a right. If someone is simply looting, that person is not physically threatening you.
The individual has stepped outside the law. They are now an OUTLAW. I have no idea what other laws they will violate. I will shoot them because they acted outside the social contract, not me. I do not care if the shot is fatal. I do care that they will not get up and threaten me or anyone else. Private property is actually a fundamental principle of our form of government and of our society. When you violate that principle, I will react.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:21 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
The individual has stepped outside the law. They are now an OUTLAW. I have no idea what other laws they will violate. I will shoot them because they acted outside the social contract, not me. I do not care if the shot is fatal. I do care that they will not get up and threaten me or anyone else. Private property is actually a fundamental principle of our form of government and of our society. When you violate that principle, I will react.
Social contract? Ok.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I agree with you partly, and disagree with you partly.

Upthread there was a whole subjective morality thing. That's what you're describing. My subjective morality would not allow me to kill someone in defense of a television. However, that in no way means "ok with it".
Other people's subjective morality allows them to kill someone for a television.

I don't even think that you believe yourself fully. I'm sure you can think of situations where one is not allowed to live freely that does not constitute a reason to kill another person - say a building code.
How does a person know what a person who chooses to be lawless is capable of? Would they rape someone? Would they murder, torture, maim someone? How would you know? If you are not self-governed by certain doctrines of a moral society, then you are capable of anything . Again, I don't have time to exercise parent-effective training with an outlaw. My reaction must be based on the present facts. They are an outlaw. I am a possible target. They will become my target in self-defense. This entire argument that was started here is to justify and legitimize unlawful behavior. Today, every abnormal deviant behavior is being normalized and those who act under the principles of the common law ; of western civilization; of a Biblical right and wrong are suddenly on the defense. Bull pucky. There are enough people out here who are fed up with you individuals who possess no moral compass. We will defend our form of government. We will defend our rights. We will defend the Constitution. And we will kill you if you try to destroy any of that. Sorry - facts is facts. We are moral - we don't do anything because we want to. We do it because we are a free people who value liberty and hate anarchy and evil.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Nope. For me it comes down to life being more valuable than stuff.
Comes down to me that the maintaining of a civilized society is more valuable than the life of the lawless. There is a reason we establish law. There is a purpose for government and the purpose for a limited moral government is to enforce limited and moral law.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
How does a person know what a person who chooses to be lawless is capable of? Would they rape someone? Would they murder, torture, maim someone? How would you know? If you are not self-governed by certain doctrines of a moral society, then you are capable of anything . Again, I don't have time to exercise parent-effective training with an outlaw. My reaction must be based on the present facts. They are an outlaw. I am a possible target. They will become my target in self-defense. This entire argument that was started here is to justify and legitimize unlawful behavior. Today, every abnormal deviant behavior is being normalized and those who act under the principles of the common law ; of western civilization; of a Biblical right and wrong are suddenly on the defense. Bull pucky. There are enough people out here who are fed up with you individuals who possess no moral compass. We will defend our form of government. We will defend our rights. We will defend the Constitution. And we will kill you if you try to destroy any of that. Sorry - facts is facts. We are moral - we don't do anything because we want to. We do it because we are a free people who value liberty and hate anarchy and evil.
We're talking about someone who's walking down the street with a tv, cell phone, etc. Not someone breaking into a residence with people inside. Furthermore, it sounds like you are rushing to judgement by saying that these people are guilty of (rape, murder, torture, maim, etc.) before proving innocents and then acting upon that judgement by shooting them.

Simply if you shoot someone for walking down the street with property, you'll be doing time for murder.

Last edited by FC76-81; 09-07-2017 at 12:38 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 12:31 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
I live in FL and with the incoming Hurricane I'm locked and loaded. I'll give fair warning with a sign that say "You loot, I shoot". After that they're getting a 12 gauge slug to the chest.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I live in FL and with the incoming Hurricane I'm locked and loaded. I'll give fair warning with a sign that say "You loot, I shoot". After that they're getting a 12 gauge slug to the chest.
Are you going to shoot the hurricane if/when it breaches your domain?

LOL. Just two more like you and we could do The Three Stooges in a Hurricane episode.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:58 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Are you going to shoot the hurricane if/when it breaches your domain?

LOL. Just two more like you and we could do The Three Stooges in a Hurricane episode.
No, but I will shoot any intruders who unlawfully enter my home with the intention to steal or harm my family.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:26 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
I'm quite aware of the true cost of material objects. When considering purchasing something I consider how much of my time it costs, not how much money it costs. It's why I don't own many material things.

The time I spent earning money to acquire a TV is not close to as valuable as a person's entire remaining life.
I'll disagree with you on this. The time I spent on earning money benefits many people. My coworkers, investors and customers.

On the other hand, that thug that is taking advantage of a disaster to steal most likely won't end up with a very valuable life.

My time is much more important that a criminal's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies