Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shoot looters on sight?
Yes 132 51.76%
No 112 43.92%
I'm too wishy-washy to have an opinion. 11 4.31%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:23 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
State legislature, state law is "irresponsible people telling them it's their right" to defend life and property?
Yes.
I'm sure you would not argue that all laws were crafted by responsible individuals.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
No it does not. You just belied all foreign relations the government has ever entered into. We kicked out Russians for espionage and took over their property.

You seem to want to differentiate between cause without citing cause. You seem to consider someone coming into my house to grab a TV more invasive than someone conning me out of my life savings. I suppose your defense is I should have been smarter. But at that then end of the day the TV was worth maybe 1k. What I got taken by the investment shark was far greater. Yet the punk who stole the TV should be shot and the white collar guy well he should see his day in court.

If you are religious I do not see how you can reconcile this.
Wow, how far do you want to go to justify your arguments? Maybe the moon landing next?
Nice try professor, but an epic FAIL...

Old 08-31-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Great. If you see someone taking your TV blow them away. I am sure that will make your day if not your century. I am sure your god says those how steal your TV should die.
What's "god" got to do with any of this? Should I expect a lightening bolt to fly down from the sky to smote the thief? Should I wait for some kind of cosmic karma to make the stolen TV fall from the wall and crush the dirtbag that stole it?

Come back to reality, it misses you...

Old 08-31-2017, 09:32 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Yes.
I'm sure you would not argue that all laws were crafted by responsible individuals.
LOL

I wasn't born with a police officer issued to me at birth to protect my life or property. You might have.

One last time, subjective morality does not take prescidence to law.

Don't like the laws, don't live in a stand your ground castle doctrine state, live somewhere where it's your duty to retreat. It's a very simple concept, in the times of a disaster of this scale, 911 will be sparsely spread. Infrastructure will go down. My friend in Corpus Christy was 3 days without cell phone and land line service. The world's smallest violin will play for you and your cause when you are on your own.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
God is irrelevant, according to his book I'm going to hell so I'll make the best of the time I've got now before I get there. I serve myself. Not him.
Per the law down here which I posted quite a few pages back... Any threat to life or property. Whether that property is my TV or my Rolex or family heirlooms.

Will it make my day? Nope.
Will it make my century? Nope.

Nothing about shooting in self defense is glorious contrary to what you fools believe, we don't touch ourselves at night to the idea of blowing someone away.

Be realistic. In an event like what had happened occurred how quick are the police going to arrive to your becking call? Were you born with a police officer issued to you to protect your items? I wasn't.

Wait for a natural disaster to strike. 911 will play you the world's smallest violin.
If they answer at all or get back to you when they put you on hold (which happens even without a disaster).
Where I currently live we are on about a 10 minute +/- LEO response time so you're basically on your own...

Old 08-31-2017, 09:39 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Nope, it's always rainbows, unicorns, puppydogs, a modern day Mayberry, with Barney Fife holding everything down, where nobody locks their doors at night...

I don't buy the naivety... There's a big difference between reality and the hopeful faithful. Never give the benefit of the doubt as cynical as that sounds. That's a surefire way to get shafted and taken advantage of big time. Disasters crisis/chaos and emergencies bring the ugly out in those who've never faced such struggles.

Forgive the smugness.
That's why I'll never understand the lack in hurricane preparedness regardless of the state... they're predicting a hurricane that may come hit Florida. Soon as I get done with filing paper work and knock out a couple quick jobs this afternoon, off to the grocery store and Sam's club.
Move the Jetskis and get the plywood ready. Go fill the gas jugs call the propane company to top off the bullet in ground. Even if none of it is needed... I have it. This isn't some freaky blizzard from Lake effect snow storm that bloomed out of nowhere with an hour heads up at the most... this thing has been predicted yesterday and it's building steam.
I won't get caught with my pants down day before landfall when sheriff's have to babysit home depot lowes grocery stores Walmarts and gas stations to prevent hyper hysterical fools who waited until the last minute to duke it out over food water plywood.

debating on whether I should stop and get pontoons for a big dock, make some brackets up to bolt to the frames of the trucks, make a carrier bearing drop bracket and hit up a machine shop to adapt a prop to the pinion yoke flange rent a impact drill and anchor the half ton with tow chain to the driveway. If it floods bad enough, at least it'll float and not get ruined from water just would suck if the water gets it up on the roof... that'd make for one heck of a decoration though
Just need a jolly Roger flag and I can mock up a rudder system off of the tie rod ends on big Bertha. Pull the Pintle hitch out of the receiver, weld up a bracket to go into the receiver, some 1/8th inch steel sheets about 3-4 feet tall, 12-18 inches wide, some threaded rod long enough to reach the tie rod ends make an X right front to left rear rudder, left front to right rear rudder. that'll work...
^^^ This. We have a canoe and life vests. However our house is midway up a hill, so we should be fine during and after a severe rain event. We also have a dirt bike to get around in. And we've been thinking about getting a snorkel attachment for our Toyota 4runner. All the SUV's in Australia have them. It's always good to have an occasional think about what to do in case of a catastrophic event. Let's all be realistic, our government doesn't have the personnel to help all of us and at the same time.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Not woe is me. I will not hunt the con artists as I will not hunt the looter. Woe is you that has not center. If you believed in Jesus you would not seek such immediate justice. If you did not believe in Jesus then you believe in a vigilante justice where if anyone wrongs me I can kill them. Regardless of how they wrong me. Remember you said taking my TV justifies death. Not sure how many Christians would agree.
Not to go too far OT but you are aware that Jesus killed people for withholding some of their riches they were supposed to give to him right?

Old 08-31-2017, 09:41 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What's "god" got to do with any of this? Should I expect a lightening bolt to fly down from the sky to smote the thief? Should I wait for some kind of cosmic karma to make the stolen TV fall from the wall and crush the dirtbag that stole it?

Come back to reality, it misses you...
Feeble attempt grasping for straws to equate or make morality take prescidence to law.

Already called them out on it. No difference between them and Johnny Jihad who practices sharia law. The religious text says this and that is what I live by and you should/will too regardless what federal and state law says.

No wonder atheists hate/dislike Catholics/Christians etc... Over stepping their boundaries preaching and pushing their religious ideology onto others pulling the high horse, snide I'm better than you, holier than thou...
Ohwell. Give them an A for effort.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Ones 58k ones 72k. Would you happily hand the keys over to some undeserving miscreant? Maybe you would... Jesus will miracle you a new one with 5 miles on the odometer too! By the time the cell phone towers have been restored maybe they'll find it in some chop shop 3 states away or in a shipping crate off to some country far far away...

Blood and sweat bought em. So what I have insurance. That's not going to replace either of them. The half ton was paid off back in December.
Big Bertha has 38k left to go at 1200 per month. The bank gets paid, I'm out 34k...
I have insurance, so yes.

They can take my vehicles (and I have rather nice ones, though the value is irrelevant). Lives are worth more than automobiles.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:44 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,920 times
Quote:
LOL

One last time, subjective morality does not take prescidence to law.
You're changing the subject.
Do you believe that all laws were crafted by responsible people?

Do you agree or disagree that laws come from subjective morality?

Quote:
I wasn't born with a police officer issued to me at birth to protect my life or property. You might have.

Don't like the laws, don't live in a stand your ground castle doctrine state, live somewhere where it's your duty to retreat. It's a very simple concept, in the times of a disaster of this scale, 911 will be sparsely spread. Infrastructure will go down. My friend in Corpus Christy was 3 days without cell phone and land line service. The world's smallest violin will play for you and your cause when you are on your own.
I absolutely was not born with a police officer to protect my life or property.
I cannot imagine using deadly force to protect my property - even a pickup truck.
Using deadly force to protect life is a completely different matter.

If I don't like the laws I can also fight to change them. I can also choose to live in a stand your ground castle doctrine state and choose not to kill someone over property should that situation ever arise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies