Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shoot looters on sight?
Yes 132 51.76%
No 112 43.92%
I'm too wishy-washy to have an opinion. 11 4.31%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
130k sitting in my driveway... most houses sell for that down here...

It's not a brag post. That's the logic post.
The work Truck is a very valuable tool. Goes through the swampy access road to the dump that resembles the whoops section of a dirtbike track that a standard height truck would bottom out on. With the amount of electronics in these things nope... not hearing warranty coverage denied due to off roading.

Was either that truck or a dump truck which in Florida, gets a much higher insurance premium. It was cheaper to buy a 20 foot dump trailer (dump trailer is covered by trucks insurance) than the dump truck.
Plus dump trucks don't have air conditioned leather seats and Bose stereos. Or sunroofs.

And you'd gladly hand the keys over....
Also... nicer vehicles belong in garages, so as to discourage theives.

Disaster situation, high water, desperate people who need a way out, 4-wheel drive just sitting right there in the open...

Why take the risk?

Old 08-31-2017, 09:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Can we cut down on the hype and talk a little common sense here?

I don't think we're speaking here of a little "necessary pilfering" by somebody totally isolated in severe circumstances, and using desperate measures to sustain people who depend upon him/her. And under such circumstances, intensified rescue efforts by groups such as the National Guard would enter the picture; what we're discussing here is organized, orchestrated criminal activity, courtesy of the same mentality that brought us the "flash mob". And the more blatant the criminality, the stronger the methods needed to contain it.

And just as an aside, those of us who recall the rioting in Ferguson 2-3 years ago should also recall that images of the looters were caught by cameras in at least one of the businesses affected; were any efforts made to identify these individuals and hold them accountable?
I almost think that those who are railing against dealing with looters are looters themselves either past or present or, have benefitted from looting in some way. Maybe their place was looted and they claimed on insurance way more was stolen than what really was?

That's about the only logical explanation for sticking up for dirtbag opportunists...

Old 08-31-2017, 09:47 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
bad idea, it would be too easy to shoot a cop and explain it away by saying you saw him going through your stuff

Old 08-31-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You, your spouse and you're three kids are trapped in an area with hardly any food or water and likely to not get help for a week, you wouldn't stop a person from taking what you need to keep your family alive if deadly force looked to be the only option?

I don't see it as a black and white situation. Some scenarios would justify deadly force, others would not.

You might be one of the very few that would not take a life even if that means the death of your family. There are such people. Most people will have a line drawn where they will take a life.
Not what I said.

Of course I’d defend our food, water, medications, a dry place to stay, etc.

But, a TV? I’m not shooting anyone for looting TVs out of anywhere. Also not gonna shoot looters leaving a local store. They’re insured against theft.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:53 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If they answer at all or get back to you when they put you on hold (which happens even without a disaster).
Where I currently live we are on about a 10 minute +/- LEO response time so you're basically on your own...
I grew up in upstate NY, 911 response times were on average 27 minutes. Fire, medical, police. The tornadoes taught me just how insignificant I was. Sandy proved how corrupt and inept NY is (but let's blame Texas for catching attempted federal fraud, not those who tried to fraud the fed) and lake effect freak blizzards taught me its best to be prepared for anything and everything. For it can take up to a week for crews to restore power.

In this liberal utopia none of these issues exist. Perhaps stepping out of the comfort and confines of the urban and city limits, where you find yourself pulling your own weight would be an enlightening and educating expirience. Just a suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
^^^ This. We have a canoe and life vests. However our house is midway up a hill, so we should be fine during and after a severe rain event. We also have a dirt bike to get around in. And we've been thinking about getting a snorkel attachment for our Toyota 4runner. All the SUV's in Australia have them. It's always good to have an occasional think about what to do in case of a catastrophic event. Let's all be realistic, our government doesn't have the personnel to help all of us and at the same time.
One of my old mud trucks I put an elbow off the carburetor, removed the heater core which was leaky, cut a hole through the firewall and ran pipe to a cone filter to draw air through the cab... snorkels are OK as long as there's a water tight seal around the throttle body and not aiming forward. Water splashes up and last thing you need is hydrolocking and cracking pistons or bending rods. Aim it to the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
58% think it is ok to shoot looters during a natural disaster. I hope none of you "Yes votes" call yourself Christian because this is the most anti-Christian answer you can give. Jesus would be horrified at you!!!!
Maybe,maybe not but isn't that what forgiveness is for either way? Confess and be forgiven right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
^^^ This. We have a canoe and life vests. However our house is midway up a hill, so we should be fine during and after a severe rain event. We also have a dirt bike to get around in. And we've been thinking about getting a snorkel attachment for our Toyota 4runner. All the SUV's in Australia have them. It's always good to have an occasional think about what to do in case of a catastrophic event. Let's all be realistic, our government doesn't have the personnel to help all of us and at the same time.
But, do you plan to shoot someone if they steal your Xbox or your neighbor’s patio furniture?

This thread asked about shooting random looters. It did not ask if you’d defend against persons intending to harm you and your family by stealing your food or necessary items to save yourselves.

I don’t care if stores are getting looted. It is not worth killing people over. Stores should have insured inventory.

If someone comes onto your private property to steal your oxygen tanks, shoot away.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
No. People may need to get food to survive.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:57 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Also... nicer vehicles belong in garages, so as to discourage theives.

Disaster situation, high water, desperate people who need a way out, 4-wheel drive just sitting right there in the open...

Why take the risk?
I lease my house. I can not park either truck in the garage, big Bertha won't fit even if I took the door off the tracks. Half ton would. The garage, It's been converted to a Florida room. My project truck sits in my sisters garage due to this.

Until I buy this house, I can't rip the carpet out and use it for its intended purposes.

Had you read further on you'd know this...
Some sort of phenomena where they convert garages into either another bedroom or living room... some have bars dance floors and pool tables in them.

Perhaps due to the high water table and no basements to be found in this state

Old 08-31-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I have insurance, so yes.

They can take my vehicles (and I have rather nice ones, though the value is irrelevant). Lives are worth more than automobiles.
Are you also willing to empty your savings account and hand that to them as well? Because that's exactly what you're doing by following your plan.
You see, while you have insurance it will NOT pay you what you paid for the items lost, it will pay you what they are worth at the time some azzhat stole them which is less than what you paid or what you will then pay to replace them.

So, hand those looters your savings as well as the items they decide are now theirs and be sure to smile while doing so.

Sheeple, gotta love 'em, looters and thieves depend on 'em...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies