Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shoot looters on sight?
Yes 132 51.76%
No 112 43.92%
I'm too wishy-washy to have an opinion. 11 4.31%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:04 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I would like to see grocery stores giving in stock food away to those in need once a disaster has been declared. There would have to be some rules like limiting the giving to a specific radius of the area. It would fulfil an immediate need until outside aid could be supplied. With appropriate record keeping the grocery store could potentially be reimbursed. If not, call it an occasional cost of doing business.
I am guessing the cost would be covered by their business insurance. A lot of the food would not be able to be sold, anyway, depending on how much water damage there was. Give it away, instead of just letting it rot. Even canned goods can be damaged, perhaps not the contents, but the labels, certainly.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:06 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Doesn't look like they are taking food to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2e6L_66QSY

Old 08-30-2017, 05:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yes. Yes, it rather was. But envisioning arguments that you can actually counter - rather than the ones you're met with - probably feels good, so you've got that going for you. Which is nice.
Your opinion and you know what's said about "opinions" right?

Old 08-30-2017, 05:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well, not all of it will go bad, but I agree. And the food store owners' losses will be covered by insurance. BUT, why do the looters have to trash the store in the process? Can't they just be respectful and grateful that food is even available at all even though they have to take it due to the extraordinarily life-threatening disaster?
Because they can, in case you hadn't noticed there has been a loss of civility and basic decency over the last several years.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:09 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Looting is part and parcel of any opportunity driven even like riots and natural disasters.

Sometimes it's for essentials....but most of the time it's just open season like when you see people busting into salons to steal life-saving extensions\wigs and of course the first place hit is always the liquor store.
lovely racist tone to your post MathGuy. But not subtle enough, i am betting most folk picked up on you "extensions\wigs example of of goods looted.

shame on you Mathguy, you know what you are doing and don't pretend otherwise.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:11 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Let's see. They seemingly couldn't make it to the store to get food BEFORE the storm but all of a sudden can get out to the store in 8 feet of water? I can see if this was many days to a week later that they ran out of food, but the next day???? Come on now.
HA! Beat me too it! I guess these people were waiting for the hurricane to send out a tweet announcing its arrival

Old 08-30-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Let's see. They seemingly couldn't make it to the store to get food BEFORE the storm but all of a sudden can get out to the store in 8 feet of water? I can see if this was many days to a week later that they ran out of food, but the next day???? Come on now.
have you considered, they may have had to evacuate quickly and be out of food. Consider that the state underestimated the risks , the cities underestimated the risk and many of the poeple did too.

sure some will steal goods they don't need but we all know we would all steal food for our family should we need to.

pretending they are ALL thugs reflects a lot more on you and other posters here then the people involved.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:14 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
lovely racist tone to your post MathGuy. But not subtle enough, i am betting most folk picked up on you "extensions\wigs example of of goods looted.

shame on you Mathguy, you know what you are doing and don't pretend otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVmWQrceH0w

Go ahead and label it "racist" when a black man is reporting it...

Old 08-30-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post

Go ahead and label it "racist" when a black man is reporting it...
your video is unrelated to my comment.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So happy we're not living in the society you envision.
I already stated earlier in the thread that you need to be the property owner to shoot the looter. If you aren't you have no idea if they have consent or not.

So the logic and morality are pretty bulletproof (pun intended).

I own a cell phone store. Looters break into my cell phone store. They begin to pick up items to carry away. I did not give consent to remove the items. I blow them away.

No good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies