Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shoot looters on sight?
Yes 132 51.76%
No 112 43.92%
I'm too wishy-washy to have an opinion. 11 4.31%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:38 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times

Advertisements

Only if they were looting MY home or business, otherwise I wouldn't know the circumstances involved. Oh, and by the way, when someone breaks into a grocery store "to feed their babies", there's nothing stopping them from leaving money at the register to PAY for the food.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:40 PM

30,262 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If I had to take something to eat I would pay the money back to the store later. It would be like borrowing that way, not stealing.
The law doesn't exactly see it that way, but I'd do the same. Hunger makes people do things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
knot shore y an enlish leson is necasary butt tank u
It doesn't have to be viewed as an insult. Telling someone how something is spelled actually benefits the person who spelled the word incorrectly, especially if they don't have the attitude, "who cares, it's just (a forum, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, insert favorite excuse here)". When you spell correctly, it's easier for people to take you seriously...or at least a little more than they would if you misspell simple words.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:45 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One week into a natural disaster those material goods could mean life or death. Choose accordingly.
I'm pretty sure a television isn't life or death.

The question was about shooting random looters, not about whether I'd shoot one trying to steal my food, water, or medications.

Of course I would. It would be legal, too.

I would not patrol town, shooting looters for fun. That's murder.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Too wrongs don't make a right. If someone is simply looting, that person is not physically threatening you.
That was my take on it. When they are stealing from me and what they are stealing could be life or death for me and my family, then I think force is warranted. Otherwise? Nope.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:48 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
I voted "no". There would most likely be too many shootings that actually involve non-looting situations.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:54 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Why differentiate between looters and white collar crime? Wait to all the fly by night contractors come in to do repairs and use substandard materials and poor craftsmanship. Can they be shot also? I mean stealing my TV vs. conning me out of money. TV I can just replace. But if they put a faulty roof on my house my family could die.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
I can't belive the morons that can justify shooting someone in the back for theft...

Why stop there? Surely someone who steals your beer deserves to be tortured don't they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There seems to be a disturbing trend among some US firearm owners to envision deadly-force scenarios as opportunities.
Yep, the video I just watched of the LOOTERS who were taking stuff from a cell phone store deserve that stuff right? Sorry, using a disaster to take things you don't feel like paying for or to resell at the expense of the victims? Yes, front,back or sideways looters deserve to be dropped due to lead poisoning on sight. BTW, that "shooting in the back/coward thing" is just from old western movies, try coming to reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Why differentiate between looters and white collar crime? Wait to all the fly by night contractors come in to do repairs and use substandard materials and poor craftsmanship. Can they be shot also? I mean stealing my TV vs. conning me out of money. TV I can just replace. But if they put a faulty roof on my house my family could die.
Big difference, one is it's TAKING something without any permission under the cover of a disaster. The other, well if you can't figure out the difference I'm sorry...

Old 08-30-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Big difference, one is it's TAKING something without any permission under the cover of a disaster. The other, well if you can't figure out the difference I'm sorry...
I think he's got a valid point, though. That person is taking your money under the pretense of providing a certain service. If they provide a shoddy service, it's not much different than outright theft in terms of how it affects you personally.

I'm not hurt if someone steals my laptop while looting. I am if someone steals my savings to fix my house, then doesn't really fix it.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:18 PM

500 posts, read 319,373 times
Any time I'm out of peanut butter (or even Doritos), I head straight to the store selling the biggest TVs and then I check the shoe stores....the PB is so often right next the latest sneakers in my size.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:19 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yep, the video I just watched of the LOOTERS who were taking stuff from a cell phone store deserve that stuff right? Sorry, using a disaster to take things you don't feel like paying for or to resell at the expense of the victims? Yes, front,back or sideways looters deserve to be dropped due to lead poisoning on sight. BTW, that "shooting in the back/coward thing" is just from old western movies, try coming to reality.

I didn't give then permission to put a faulty roof on my house. They lied about their ability and/or cut back on execution. Neither which I approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies