Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shoot looters on sight?
Yes 132 51.76%
No 112 43.92%
I'm too wishy-washy to have an opinion. 11 4.31%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 04:27 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I don't care if you're impressed or not.

They are insured. I get paid on the depreciated value which let's say the half ton was stolen/wrecked. Might see wholesale price on that. That's money lost.
The other. Gap insurance covers what hasn't been paid by the insurance company to the lein holder. That's money lost.

Last I checked, roofs don't cost 130k here or back in NY or MA... LOL
Unless you go for those fancy barrel tile roofs... and the roof has multiple peaks and is over 3500 square feet...
Hmmm...after reading some of your subsequent posts, you do seem to be investing a lot of energy in describing your stuff. There's nothing wrong with that, but are you sure it's not an attempt to impress someone, maybe if only yourself?

Old 08-31-2017, 07:03 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
No, it's really not that simple. What if this crisis goes on for weeks, and people start looting grocery stores? Do we shoot them for trying to feed their kids?
Quote:
The original post said it was a simple question. I said it was not, necessarily, and I stand by that position.
It bears repeating: Your over-sentimentalized reply refuses to differentiate between isolated desperation driven by a one-time act of Nature, and the organized criminality of a "flash mob"; if you are willing to defend such vermin as the latter, you deserve no more respect than one of them.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-31-2017 at 07:41 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 07:13 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,756,591 times
58% think it is ok to shoot looters during a natural disaster. I hope none of you "Yes votes" call yourself Christian because this is the most anti-Christian answer you can give. Jesus would be horrified at you!!!!

Old 08-31-2017, 07:32 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Hmmm...after reading some of your subsequent posts, you do seem to be investing a lot of energy in describing your stuff. There's nothing wrong with that, but are you sure it's not an attempt to impress someone, maybe if only yourself?
Nope just saying what I have is worth defending in the event of a catastrophic event/natural disaster. I don't have a police officer that was issued to me at birth to do that for me. I'm not forfeiting the fruits of my labor. Nope. If someone wants what I've got, they can do what I did, work their tail off for years and go buy them. Not use a natural disaster as a five finger discount shopping spree.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Well legally and technically speaking, is looting during an emergency any different than stealing during normal times? I am guessing no, so the same rules apply. Please correct me if some states or local governments define looting in a separate category than just stealing.

Also how hard is it for businesses, especially locally owned ones, to board up windows and secure doors before the storm comes? I know I am playing armchair general but seriously, 2 adults with basic tools can easily increase the security of a small store for lets say......$100 worth of plywood and 4 hours of time. I am going a bit off topic, but I am always pissed at how people don't take care of their stuff.
Please give me the location of your hardware store. I'll drive hours for those prices.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:45 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Shooting people over material goods? Nope.

Get back to me when they start stealing people.
You, your spouse and you're three kids are trapped in an area with hardly any food or water and likely to not get help for a week, you wouldn't stop a person from taking what you need to keep your family alive if deadly force looked to be the only option?

I don't see it as a black and white situation. Some scenarios would justify deadly force, others would not.

You might be one of the very few that would not take a life even if that means the death of your family. There are such people. Most people will have a line drawn where they will take a life.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:12 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Can't imagine wanting to kill someone over a TV or truck.
Oh, they're out there. They have guns, they have anger, they yearn for respect, they have irresponsible people telling them it's the right, manly thing to do. All they need is an excuse.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You, your spouse and you're three kids are trapped in an area with hardly any food or water and likely to not get help for a week, you wouldn't stop a person from taking what you need to keep your family alive if deadly force looked to be the only option?

I don't see it as a black and white situation. Some scenarios would justify deadly force, others would not.

You might be one of the very few that would not take a life even if that means the death of your family. There are such people. Most people will have a line drawn where they will take a life.
Nope, it's always rainbows, unicorns, puppydogs, a modern day Mayberry, with Barney Fife holding everything down, where nobody locks their doors at night...

I don't buy the naivety... There's a big difference between reality and the hopeful faithful. Never give the benefit of the doubt as cynical as that sounds. That's a surefire way to get shafted and taken advantage of big time. Disasters crisis/chaos and emergencies bring the ugly out in those who've never faced such struggles.

Forgive the smugness.
That's why I'll never understand the lack in hurricane preparedness regardless of the state... they're predicting a hurricane that may come hit Florida. Soon as I get done with filing paper work and knock out a couple quick jobs this afternoon, off to the grocery store and Sam's club.
Move the Jetskis and get the plywood ready. Go fill the gas jugs call the propane company to top off the bullet in ground. Even if none of it is needed... I have it. This isn't some freaky blizzard from Lake effect snow storm that bloomed out of nowhere with an hour heads up at the most... this thing has been predicted yesterday and it's building steam.
I won't get caught with my pants down day before landfall when sheriff's have to babysit home depot lowes grocery stores Walmarts and gas stations to prevent hyper hysterical fools who waited until the last minute to duke it out over food water plywood.

debating on whether I should stop and get pontoons for a big dock, make some brackets up to bolt to the frames of the trucks, make a carrier bearing drop bracket and hit up a machine shop to adapt a prop to the pinion yoke flange rent a impact drill and anchor the half ton with tow chain to the driveway. If it floods bad enough, at least it'll float and not get ruined from water just would suck if the water gets it up on the roof... that'd make for one heck of a decoration though
Just need a jolly Roger flag and I can mock up a rudder system off of the tie rod ends on big Bertha. Pull the Pintle hitch out of the receiver, weld up a bracket to go into the receiver, some 1/8th inch steel sheets about 3-4 feet tall, 12-18 inches wide, some threaded rod long enough to reach the tie rod ends make an X right front to left rear rudder, left front to right rear rudder. that'll work...

Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, they're out there. They have guns, they have anger, they yearn for respect, they have irresponsible people telling them it's the right, manly thing to do. All they need is an excuse.
State legislature, state law is "irresponsible people telling them it's their right" to defend life and property?

Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
In the event of a catastrophe, no outsider deserves any of our supplies. I don't care how many hungry children they have. We used our money and our commonsense to stock up on water and food, so they get none of that. Plus the scenario implies that they are sneaking around and trying to break into our property to steal what is rightfully ours. Of course they will be shot at. And we have dogs to help alert us.

People who don't bother to plan ahead get taken out. It's Darwin in action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies