Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:47 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.v...r=1.25&pid=1.7

And Gorsuch is just 48 years old. Enjoy his wonderful opinions on the SC until the 2040s.
Being "just 48" also means there's plenty of time for his viewpoints to evolve. Who knows, maybe he becomes so disgruntled by the damage Trump & the current GOP have done to our nation that it reshapes his decision making.

Gorsuch already seems very moderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 08:24 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I'm not anti-white.

I'm anti-white identity politics.
I don't get the "anti-white" accusations. Most Democratic voters are white.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:22 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
Quote:
David Brooks said that Republicans had to make a choice.

It's clear you have made yours.
Hey Broken Record, why won't you answer the question: who are you and David "Latino vote" Brooks to complain about racial identity politics? Why is Latino identity politics okay but not white identity politics?

Old 08-30-2017, 02:56 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post

The U.S. will survive Trump, in the long run, the GOP won't.
I hope that's true. The GOP is rotten from the inside. The country is over due for a massive realignment of the parties.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Hey Broken Record, why won't you answer the question: who are you and David "Latino vote" Brooks to complain about racial identity politics? Why is Latino identity politics okay but not white identity politics?
It depends on the motive. Minority groups have traditionally herded because they felt outnumbered and were victims of systemic discrimination. In many cases, the solidarity of the groups eventually break down as the groups no longer feel threatened. The Italian vote is and example of one time bloc voters that have splintered over time. On the other hand, you have other groups like blacks or Jewish voters that have basically stayed as a bloc. Blacks, because it's virtually impossible for the melting pot effect to change their skin color and Jews because they are overwhelmingly outnumbered in a predominantly Christian country. I tend to give ethnic groups a pass for groupthink when they're in that situation.

In the case of white "identity" voters, they're the majority. They're not facing widespread discrimination by any objective measure, except in the fevered mind of an extremist. If they choose to vote one way or another due strictly to politics, that's one thing, but if you look at what's being said, particularly from posters in these forums, it's usually just about race.

Quote:
Here's some tweets by Mitt Romney's 2012 campaign manager on the validity of claims of white descrimination and the folly of continually depending on the groups that elected Donald Trump.

"‪Being American is winning world's lottery. Being white in America is winning lottery twice. Notion of oppressed white Americans is absurd‬."

"White American males have won the birth lottery. Up to each to decide how to use their tremendous good fortune. "

"‪Just a little glimpse into future of a Trump party: every 4 years, electorate is 2% less white & 4% less white HS or less educated.‬"

- Stuart Stevens

I guess it depends on your perspective. I don't feel comfortable being associated with the groups pushing white nationalism. Some do, but I just don't buy it.

When you put aside your personal feelings and just look at the politics of it, of the groups that make up the current Trump coalition, it's almost a kamikaze approach long term. Republican pollster Whit Ayres has frequently stated that in order to win the national popular vote today, a Republican candidate needs a minimum of 40% of the Hispanic vote. That figure will continue to go up in years to come as the white population continues to drop due to aging. In contrast to the decline of the white vote due to insufficient numbers of young white voters to replace dying seniors, each month for a number of years now, we have added 40 to 50,000 young latinos as potential voters, and that is projected to continue for years to come. Think of the national voting as a leading indicator or demographic change and state by state voting as a lagging indicator. Rather than becoming more conservative as they get older, recent studies indicate that the majority of voters develop their political identity in early adulthood and stay consistent with that identity for the remainder of their lives.

There's a lot more data that I could use to illustrate the demographic time bomb that the GOP faces, and that Trump is purposely exacerbating, but you have no interest in seeing it, so I won't bother.

The point is that as we approach a minority majority America, it doesnt necessarily have to be a Denocratic Party America, but Trump's Presidency is likely to make such an outcome more probable by permanently alienating millions of new voters.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:28 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
Quote:
It depends on the motive. Minority groups have traditionally herded because they felt outnumbered and were victims of systemic discrimination. In many cases, the solidarity of the groups eventually break down as the groups no longer feel threatened. The Italian vote is and example of one time bloc voters that have splintered over time. On the other hand, you have other groups like blacks or Jewish voters that have basically stayed as a bloc. Blacks, because it's virtually impossible for the melting pot effect to change their skin color and Jews because they are overwhelmingly outnumbered in a predominantly Christian country. I tend to give ethnic groups a pass for groupthink when they're in that situation.

In the case of white "identity" voters, they're the majority. They're not facing widespread discrimination by any objective measure, except in the fevered mind of an extremist. If they choose to vote one way or another due strictly to politics, that's one thing, but if you look at what's being said, particularly from posters in these forums, it's usually just about race.

I guess it depends on your perspective. I don't feel comfortable being associated with the groups pushing white nationalism. Some do, but I just don't buy it.

When you put aside your personal feelings and just look at the politics of it, of the groups that make up the current Trump coalition, it's almost a kamikaze approach long term. Republican pollster Whit Ayres has frequently stated that in order to win the national popular vote today, a Republican candidate needs a minimum of 40% of the Hispanic vote. That figure will continue to go up in years to come as the white population continues to drop due to aging. In contrast to the decline of the white vote due to insufficient numbers of young white voters to replace dying seniors, each month for a number of years now, we have added 40 to 50,000 young latinos as potential voters, and that is projected to continue for years to come. Think of the national voting as a leading indicator or demographic change and state by state voting as a lagging indicator. Rather than becoming more conservative as they get older, recent studies indicate that the majority of voters develop their political identity in early adulthood and stay consistent with that identity for the remainder of their lives.

There's a lot more data that I could use to illustrate the demographic time bomb that the GOP faces, and that Trump is purposely exacerbating, but you have no interest in seeing it, so I won't bother.

The point is that as we approach a minority majority America, it doesnt necessarily have to be a Denocratic Party America, but Trump's Presidency is likely to make such an outcome more probable by permanently alienating millions of new voters.
Yep, just as I expected: double standards. It's all right for me to do this, but not you. Well I say that if one race can practice racial identity politics, then all can.

And I don't want to hear your broken record obsessions because you don't know how our elections work. There isn't going to be a majority minority Pennsylvania or Ohio or Michigan for a very long time. And the democrats need those states worse than you need a new argument. And trust me: that's bad.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:28 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't get the "anti-white" accusations. Most Democratic voters are white.
Democrat party is the anti-White party now.

They are the party of illegal immigration, BLM frying pigs in a blanket, severed heads, Muslim rights, putting grown men in bathrooms with little girls. This is what people think they stand for.

They have divorced themselves from 82% of the electorate. Seems like a stupid strategy, but it is what it is. Come 2018 they will get hammered again.

Poor David Brooks. He's beside himself. 100% wrong about Trump, divorced from the GOP and the the DNC will never accept him. He's a White Male.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:31 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...icans-who.html

check out this thread. What's being said here is basically copy and paste

Old 08-30-2017, 06:18 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis.fan View Post
What does this mean? How is the New York Times owned by Mexico?
First rule of C-D...never take Waldo Kitten seriously.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:20 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrat party is the anti-White party now.

They are the party of illegal immigration, BLM frying pigs in a blanket, severed heads, Muslim rights, putting grown men in bathrooms with little girls. This is what people think they stand for.

They have divorced themselves from 82% of the electorate. Seems like a stupid strategy, but it is what it is. Come 2018 they will get hammered again.

Poor David Brooks. He's beside himself. 100% wrong about Trump, divorced from the GOP and the the DNC will never accept him. He's a White Male.
This is what YOU think they stand for....and a small group of ...alt/right types.

Nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies