Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is baking a cake a religious act?
YES 13 15.85%
NO 69 84.15%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:19 AM

15,649 posts, read 10,405,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If the female circumcision was legal and they simply asked for a cake to be baked, I might not like them and I don't know if I'd even be particularly nice to them, but I would not refuse to bake a cake. Money is money and a cake doesn't help a person perform a ceremony I disagree with.
What if you were a surgical nurse and an employee of a hospital and required by law to assist the surgeon in a female circumcision?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:22 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,514,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
So I guess the take away from all of this is that if a gay couple contracts for a wedding cake, the salient point for the Christian baker is that he refuses to put two grooms (or two brides) on top of it because it violates his beliefs against gay marriage?
Here's an idea. Why not familiarize yourself with the case before spouting nonsense.

The Supreme Court didn't agree to accept the case over two grooms on a cake. The salient points are Constitutional issues.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:32 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
What if you were a surgical nurse and an employee of a hospital and required by law to assist the surgeon in a female circumcision?
I'd either do my job or find another one. If I found another job, I'd probably start lobbying to change that law.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:48 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,514,904 times
Quote:
Not really. This thread isn't about taking on state laws. It's about what one can do, legally.

If you don't like the laws, go try to change them. State, federal, whatever you want to tackle. This thread is about whether or not baking a cake is religious.

No. It is not.

Not unless someone's method of baking differs from the method employed by the majority of the world, no... it's not religious.
Don't pretend this thread is about whether or not baking a cake is religious. When you write the thread is 'about what one can do, legally,' you're admitting there's more to it than the goofy question. It's obviously about the baker in the Supreme Court case.

The Supreme Court will decide whether the baker did was legal.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 AM

15,649 posts, read 10,405,925 times
Quote:
I'd either do my job or find another one. If I found another job, I'd probably start lobbying to change that law.
Interesting. If I was a surgical nurse, I would refuse on moral principle to assist a doctor in the surgical mutilation of a girl's genitals. Without a doubt. Finding another job would be moot if assisting in surgeries for female genital mutilation was a common part of surgical nurse's job.

The question to be answered by law going forward is whose religious/cultural rights prevail when religious/cultural rights between parties are in direct conflict? This issue isn't just about cakes.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-12-2017 at 10:14 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 09:52 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,102,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
So I guess the take away from all of this is that if a gay couple contracts for a wedding cake, the salient point for the Christian baker is that he refuses to put two grooms (or two brides) on top of it because it violates his beliefs against gay marriage?
Sort of......

His objection is that he sees knowingly making the cake for a gay wedding as actively participating in that wedding.

If you disagree with that, consider that a gun store that knowingly sells a weapon to someone that they know is going to commit a crime with it is also liable for the crime.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,668,344 times
Baking a cake?

No.

Running a business in accordance with the law?

Also no.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:54 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
As others have said, the Poll is very, very flawed, and meaningless. The question should be 'Does the state have a right to override, and control PRIVATE business decisions based on a person's religious beliefs?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:55 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,601,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
As others have said, the Poll is very, very flawed, and meaningless. The question should be 'Does the state have a right to override, and control PRIVATE business decisions based on a person's religious beliefs?
dishonest poll is dishonest.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:58 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,102,240 times
Quote:
But, the bakers aren't participating in the wedding. They're selling them a cake.

The cake isn't even part of the wedding. It's part of a party for two gay people that they have after they get married (the reception).

Receptions aren't even religious and often are not held anywhere near a church.
It doesn't matter that you don't see it as participation.

What matters is that they do.

The same way that a bartender who serves a drunk is participating in that drunk's behavior afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies