Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do wealthy people owe the 99% something? Should they?
Yes 78 35.62%
No 141 64.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:25 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Slavery sucks...as a general rule.
i think your about a 150 years late
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 09:33 PM

89,033 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Why don't you just cite the National Enquirer? They have more credibility than that list.

https://www.atr.org/top-percent-pays...s-bottom-a3619
Quote:
New data Released by the IRS has just shown that the top 1% income earners pays more in tax than the bottom 95% combined.

An analysis of IRS data by the Tax Foundation shows that the top 1 percent of taxpayers paid 40.4 percent of the total income taxes collected by the federal government, the highest percentage in modern history. While the bottom 95 percent paid 39.4 percent of the income tax burden.
Yep. And this is readily available info. It is shocking that so many people have absolutely no clue, and just mindlessly believe left-wing propaganda.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
This is not difficult stuff. You go where the money is.

It is much easier to collect 50% from the top few percent than 5% from the bottom 25%.

And that is how it is going to turn out. And in another 25 years or so we will end up with guaranteed income to the population. And it will be the top couple of percent who pay for that as well.

This is all inevitable. Why not roll with the flow?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:46 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,692 times
Yes and yes.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
This is not difficult stuff. You go where the money is.

It is much easier to collect 50% from the top few percent than 5% from the bottom 25%.

And that is how it is going to turn out. And in another 25 years or so we will end up with guaranteed income to the population. And it will be the top couple of percent who pay for that as well.

This is all inevitable. Why not roll with the flow?
That'll never happen. Over-taxation produces the opposite result. The higher income earners just scale back, work less, or not at all. Tax revenue will decline.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:49 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
If I was one of the 1%, I would hope to be like Bill and Melinda Gates. I admire them greatly. They could be selfish and self absorbed, yet they give so much to the world. Why not help others when you have billions of dollars. You can't possibly spend that much in your lifetime. So why not do some good for others.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:57 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Lyndar got it right. Our problem is we do not have Capitalism. What we have is corrupt Crony Capitalism. This system, with its ability to buy political protection by donating big money to both political parties, is much closer to the Italian Fascism of Mussolini in the 1930's. It is in no way a market based system. a market system would be far too much of a risk to the big money that controls the economy in their favor at the great cost to the rest of us.

Eliminating the concentration of wealth that allows that economic control is why I propose a tax system based on all income from all sources, including illegal, with a base deduction equal to the 90th percentile and steeply progressive taxes above that level. This would place the burden of governing the country on the people that own most of the economy and give those under 90th percentile the money to invest in themselves, their families and their businesses.

I am not trying to kill Capitalism. I am trying to eliminate the corruption that has almost killed it in this and other places.
Large scale corruption takes big government and big business. That is the scenario we have now. Government and business scratch each other's back because they are all part of the big establishment club. Increasingly the members of the club jump back and forth between both.

Even if people are in favor of punitive taxes against CEOs and the like, it will never happen. The tax law will always be written in a way to shelter the politicians cronies and donors in big business.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:00 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
You have a society where the wealth is increasingly concentrated in the hands of just a few at the top; meanwhile, more people at the bottom are stagnating economically. And that's only going to worsen as robots come in and take more jobs. And don't be a moron; no matter what your orange demagogue tells you, your coal and manufacturing jobs are never going to come back in great numbers.

By the way, the rich will be the ones making the robots and profiting even more from your demise as productive workers.

But hey, if you middle/working class cons are so stupid as to defend your own executioners, then find by me. I'm closer to the rich people club myself. We were in the 35% marginal tax bracket last year, and I don't get much in terms of tax breaks. So ok, I can keep more of my money and build a bigger nest egg while most of middle America continues to get screwed, if that's the Republican/conservative plan.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If I was one of the 1%, I would hope to be like Bill and Melinda Gates. I admire them greatly. They could be selfish and self absorbed, yet they give so much to the world. Why not help others when you have billions of dollars. You can't possibly spend that much in your lifetime. So why not do some good for others.
The Gates avoid taxes by structuring their income in their charitable trust. And then use a little of that money to prioritize helping those abroad instead of people in need right here at home.

They're globalists. Globalism is depressing American workers' wages via global wage arbitrage. When the barriers to international trade are removed or eroded, jobs move to countries where labor and the cost of doing business is inexpensive and/or impoverished labor moves to countries with higher paying jobs.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:01 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
They owe nothing. But even Jesus knows many of the wealthy crooked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies