Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:49 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I know your leftist bent will not allow you to accept that someone not from your town, but who visited several times over various years has noticed the decline. I was just there a couple of weeks ago, and it has gone down hill significantly. The same is true of Frisco and to a certain extent LA. Yet many cites I go to have remained very stable.
Take it for what's it's worth, but don't put the partisan blinders on just for ideology's sake.
Again, what is to blame for all the drugs and homeless in the Rust Belt and Appalachia? I'm not promoting Seattle, we have too many people moving here. My question is, drugs and homeless are an extremely large issue in the Rust Belt and Appalachia. So large that the coroners are running out of space in the morgues. So is liberal governing to blame in the Rust Belt and Appalachia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 01:00 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
I also agree with Rambler. The Right, which used to talk about family values (I don't hear that much any more) supported a man who's morality is basically that if you can get power and money, you are "right" no matter what you do. And the slogan "Make America Great Again" really means "take us back to the 50s, when white, Christian males had all the power and status and women, minorities, gays and anyone else not in the elite group could be controlled and subjugated." They have seen the growing number of people in the US with darker skin than they, with differing religion and different life styles, and they don't like it. They want to be in control again. That kind of "my tribe is the only one that matters" thinking does not work well with most moral codes. It certainly isn't Christian, though they like to pretend it is. So I am a Democrat, a liberal, and a Christian. I belong to a distinctly liberal church. But I don't think we have a corner on morality. In fact, I think liberals have put too much emphasis on defending specific groups and not enough emphasis on defending the rights of all Americans. I imagine there are some liberals who actually do claim the moral high ground. But largely, I think it is the conservatives that usually complain about that, and so are actually ascribing the high ground to liberals.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:18 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
"We don't hate Christians".

"We don't hate the military".

"Crimes against white people don't exist".

"I don't hate the rich. I'm pro-equality".

Why do these people think they claim the moral high ground, that they are the true "peacemakers". Who gave them that role?
We got that role by default. The Republican Party has become the party of greed, racism, and ignorance. Conservatives will not rest until American society becomes their very own experiment in social Darwinism. The wealthy are to be offered ever more and more in the way of tax cuts and loopholes. No big corporation should ever have to play by the rules or be subject to any sort of oversight. Healthcare should be rationed or outright illegal for anyone except members of Congress with their free Cadillac Healthcare plan. Science and education are held in contempt because they interfere with the conservative race to the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Are you familiar with the fallacy known as a strawman argument?
Exactly! I am the daughter of a 30 year career US Army officer. I was raised in the Christian faith. Of course there are crimes against white people, but the Republican party openly sanctions crimes against people of color and these type of hate related crimes are by far the more prevalent. I'm fed up with strawman arguments such as that made by the OP. The Republican party has become so morally and intellectually bankrupt that its members are forced to resort to arguments that have no basis in reality. All it can come up with is strawman diatribes, reports lifted from yellow journalism, and blatant in your face lies. I'm glad my father is no longer alive to witness what the Republicans are doing to the country he fought in 3 wars to defend.

Quote:
I know your leftist bent will not allow you to accept that someone not from your town, but who visited several times over various years has noticed the decline. I was just there a couple of weeks ago, and it has gone down hill significantly. The same is true of Frisco and to a certain extent LA. Yet many cites I go to have remained very stable.
Take it for what's it's worth, but don't put the partisan blinders on just for ideology's sake.
Well, you obviously know about "partisan blinders," at least. You and your friends here constantly post lies about places like Seattle and San Francisco and states like Colorado and Oregon. Then you explain that these awful things (which are happening only in your imagination) are because the city is "liberal" or the state is a blue one. Colorado has the top ranking economy in the nation and is quickly changing from purple to blue. We went for Hillary in the so-called "election" and have a democratic governor. Every time I see a post about how awful Denver is because the "liberals" legalized marijuana or what a terrible place the "People's Republic" of Boulder is, all I can do is laugh. You people can keep W. Virginia and Louisiana and the rest of the rural South. You're welcome to your beloved rustbelt states, too. If it keeps you away from Colorado, I couldn't be happier.

I will say that as it now stands, I am unwilling to compromise my values to "make peace" with what has become the party of misogyny, racism, authoritarianism, and willful ignorance. You folks better run along now. Your billionaire masters are calling you to make sure that our elderly don't get meals on wheels and that our children get no healthcare, never mind an education. I reject everything the Republican party has come to stand for, and I'm not afraid to say so.

Go find someone else to love you.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:50 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
And the ultimate laugh was when evangelicals went all in for Trump.

The supposed values that these pseudo-religious frauds claim to observe, are diametrically opposed to everything there is about Trump. But yet, they are politically expedient enough to embrace him. I wonder if many of them secretly have a bad taste in their mouths, but are afraid to go against their masters in the pulpits?

Old 09-22-2017, 03:06 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:

Why do these people think they claim the moral high ground, that they are the true "peacemakers". Who gave them that role?
Oh wah, oh wah, oh wah, oh wah, oh wah, oh wah
Why do fools fall in love?
Why do birds sing so gay?
And lovers await the break of day
Why do they fall in love?
Why does the rain fall from above?
Why do fools fall in love?
Why do they fall in love?
Love is a losing game
Love can a be shame
I know of a fool
You see
For that fool is me
Tell me why, why, why
Tell me why

That is why we do it !

Old 09-22-2017, 03:44 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprube View Post
Maybe its just because they currently control popular media.
The Media controls the narrative. They promote Liberal/Progressives as "good", compassionate, and altruistic. That's all. Turn off the media, and their failures, and motivation are obvious.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:53 AM

693 posts, read 357,257 times
Quote:

The don't "claim" the moral high ground, that's nonsense thrown at them by conservatives.

With that said, they don't hate christians or the military. That's a stupid claim that comes from conservatives. On the contrary, liberals are mostly christian and many of them serve in the military.
They also don't hate the rich, which is another ridiculous claim that comes from the right.
Oh, and I've literally never heard a liberal say that there was no crime against white people. I'm not sure where you get this fairy tale idea from.

On the flip side, conservatives literally claim the moral high ground when they say they're the party of values (not something liberals claim).

Old 09-22-2017, 07:28 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:

None of these are an example of claiming the moral high ground. These would be examples of responses against extremely obtuse criticisms. If these examples of in fact examples of something liberals often say, then presumably they often make such defenses against obtuse criticism. With that, we consider who would be making these criticisms.

When that's all done, the better question is clear: why do conservatives always make such obscure claims about liberals?

Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Why do liberals ALWAYS claim the moral high ground?
Do you claim moral high ground, or do you surrender it to liberals?

Old 09-22-2017, 07:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Because you who has visited several times through the years knows more than the guy who lives there. Yea i can see how that is partisan blinders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies