Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Sentence
Fair 12 29.27%
Not Strict Enough 29 70.73%
Too Strict 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 06:39 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times

Advertisements

He should be executed for desertion in war time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 06:42 PM

1,743 posts, read 992,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
It shouldn't even matter what party you're in. This is a greater miscarriage of justice than the OJ ruling!

I honestly hope they take it to the Supreme Court!
It goes to a General for final resolution who can reject the sentence.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:43 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I agree with you but this is probably saving our country a lot of money.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:46 PM

1,743 posts, read 992,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Lets hope someone plays God and takes care of him.
Maybe the General who has the final say on whether to accept or reject the sentence.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:50 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I agree with you but this is probably saving our country a lot of money.
Suppose they put him in prison and treat him for PTSD for another 30 years or so? That would be expensive. I hadn't thought about it that way, just issue a DD and throw him out on the street and let him die a homeless, unemployable psychotic PTSD victim.
There is no justice for him in any life here on earth.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,900 times
1. He paid some dues as a POW. he was not treated very well.
2. He's an idiot.
3. The Army shares some blame for allowing him to enlist after washing out of Coast Guard basic training.
4. He has a personality disorder.
5. He was not a traitor, he did not abandon the U.S., nor try to commit espionage; he was a deserter - there is a difference. He was only thinking of himself.

I am not defending what he did, only that he did not do it with malice aforethought.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:55 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
He should be executed for desertion in war time.
That is not actually his worst crime and since it is hard to prove, in his case, that he intended to not come back then the case would be dicey at best. His truly criminal act is what happened to other servicemen due to his actions, that should have been given a harsh sentence. He will wear the Mark for the rest of his life, and it will still not be anything close to actual justice.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:06 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
A firing squad would be right. Military code says that the penalty for desertion in war time is death.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:09 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Clearly Bowe should never have been able to join the Army, as he was dropped from the Air Force for psych reasons. Yet in 2008 the Army was hurting for bodies and Bowe was able to get a waiver for that and join the Army.

But this is an interesting article from over a year ago with some important details:

What the Army Doesn't Want You to Know About Bowe Bergdahl

Quote:
The Pentagon’s inconvenient problem here is that the Army has never explained why Andrews, or any infantry platoon, was searching for Bergdahl nearly two months after officials believed his captors had moved him to Pakistan. As Newsweek reported in April, elite Army units were waved off the search within a week of his disappearance, and military sources told ABC News on July 20 that Bergdahl was in Pakistan. Pentagon public affairs insisted he wasn’t, and in an interview that day in New Delhi, India, then–Secretary of State Hillary Clinton dodged the question.

It all leads to the troubling question: Why search for Bergdahl in Afghanistan when solid intelligence placed him in another country? Several military sources—enlisted men and officers—tell Newsweek the Army used the Bergdahl crisis to gain a strategic advantage in the war. “It was common knowledge that commanders in the field used searching for Bergdahl as a justification for more aggressive tactics to achieve stability in the area,” the former senior Defense Department official says. “Everyone knew it was going on.”
Interesting. Special Operators stopped looking for Bowe within a week of his disappearance once they had intel that Bowe was moved to Pakistan. However, conventional units did not act on that intel and kept searching for him. Things that make you wonder...

And this:

Quote:
Not one of those claims can be verified. No one in 2nd Platoon was killed after Bergdahl was captured. Bergdahl did not defect. He did not tell anyone in his platoon he wanted to join the Taliban. His platoon was not engaged in combat when he left. His calls were not intercepted, because he did not make any calls.
And this:

Quote:
A platoon mate of Bergdahl’s who knew him best is of two minds. “He was my friend, but at the same time I resent him,” he tells Newsweek. “He screwed the guys. You don’t do that to the guys. That’s who you depend on. That’s it. That’s all we have.” He wants to see him dishonorably discharged, but, like Dahl, does not believe Bergdahl should go to jail for a lengthy sentence. “I think he was just a dude that made a really, really messed-up decision. He paid for it. He paid for it dearly.” But in the end, he adds, “you gotta forgive people. I’m a Christian. God forgave all of us. It’d be pretty arrogant of me not to forgive.”

Old 11-03-2017, 07:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I think that probably did work in Bergdahl's favor. He was able to claim he could not get a fair trial and therefore pleaded out, citing Trump's harsh statements.

Nixon did the same stupid thing with Manson, and had to withdraw his prejudicial declaration of guilt.

These authoritarian types just have to have their opinion known, and appear to be oblivious to the judicial process.
That's interesting -- you are essentially claiming that the Military Judge is such a "Trump Hater" that he is happy to allow a deserter to the enemy, who caused the deaths of those searching for him ...... FREE-FREE
After he plead Guilty to all Charges.

All because of President Trump is President of the USA instead of the Great Obama or Queen Hillary.
Very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies