Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 12:12 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times

Advertisements

The R's are probably going to ban them as a sacrificial gesture to avoid the discussion getting anywhere closer to the actual mechanical function of the firearms themselves. Of course everyone in here realizes that for anything to be banned at all in the current political environment it would need R support. I could be wrong, but watch and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 12:12 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Exactly. For myself and every firearm enthusiast/sportsman I know...none of us have ever used one, played around with one, bought one, etc.

I don't think of firearms as toys or party favors, so bump stock silliness is wildly ignorant imho. But banning a piece of molded plastic that anyone can print on a 3d printer is ridiculous.
It's only ridiculous to YOU.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:31 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's ridiculous on its face. Bump fire can be replicated with rubberbands or even with your bare hands.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
It's ridiculous on its face. Bump fire can be replicated with rubberbands or even with your bare hands.
Again, you aren't talking in the leftist's language. No self-respecting lefty would ever care about your silly fact.

They aren't "just" banning bump-stocks - that's not what they are after. For now, they are banning anything that could possibly increase the rate of fire.

That means if you polish your trigger to make it smoother, that would be a felony.

The end goal is to ban semi-autos. Banning bump fire is just a ruse.

Leftists are vile but not stupid.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:48 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No, banning something anyone can make with cheap materials and general knowledge...that is ridiculous.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:52 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I don't have a gun and have never fired one, though I'd like to someday as I think it's a good skill to have when you need it. This video shows how using your belt loop works just as well.
As a Sport Shooter I do like them and is a waste of ammo. However this is just a for the moment product in the wrong hands. That being said any thing can be used as a weapon, gun, car bat and Kitchen Knife.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
No, banning something anyone can make with cheap materials and general knowledge...that is ridiculous.
Again, you aren't talking in the leftist's language. No self-respecting lefty would ever care about your silly fact.

They aren't "just" banning bump-stocks - that's not what they are after. For now, they are banning anything that could possibly increase the rate of fire.

That means if you polish your trigger to make it smoother, that would be a felony.

The end goal is to ban semi-autos. Banning bump fire is just a ruse.

Leftists are vile but not stupid.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:23 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I don't have a gun and have never fired one, though I'd like to someday as I think it's a good skill to have when you need it. This video shows how using your belt loop works just as well.
Did you watch the video? It does not work in a fashion that is even remotely similar to an automatic weapon.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:29 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Did you watch the video? It does not work in a fashion that is even remotely similar to an automatic weapon.
Different mechanisms that do exactly the same thing. An automatic mechanism is a little faster but so what.

The intent is the same. A mechanism that cycles the firing system repeatedly with a single initiation.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Different mechanisms that do exactly the same thing. An automatic mechanism is a little faster but so what.

The intent is the same. A mechanism that cycles the firing system repeatedly with a single initiation.
The NFA defines a "machine gun" or fully automatic weapon as, "Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger;"

In other words, with a single pull of the trigger you can empty a magazine. A bump stock does not do this. A bump stock causes the finger to pull the trigger much faster than a person likely can on their own. A bump stock "mimics" a full auto weapon.

The bump stock was reviewed and interpreted correctly by the ATF, twice. To mimic an illegal act does not make it illegal. If a man mimics a rape but no rape occurs, he is not a rapist. If a man mimics killing someone but no homicide occurs, he is not a murderer. The list can go on and on. Mimic is not the act itself. You may break other laws when you mimic and then should be prosecuted accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies