Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 08:54 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And how much oversight is there on what they prescribe to whom?

I was watching a 60 Minutes I'd recorded that had a segment on heroin addiction. In it, they raised the point that in 2014, three quarters of a billion painkillers had been prescribed in Ohio, 65 pills for every man, woman, and child in the state. How's that oversight working out?
The problem is painkillers only work for acute pain. Theyve been shown to be useless for long-term pain management due to people building tolerance.

Yes over-perscribing by health care providers is a problem. But that in itself doesnt cause people to abuse them either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 08:57 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
What a difference 30 years makes....

We've been hearing a whole lot lately about the opioid crisis/problem. Christie even made commercials for a radio talk show, which sympathizes the whole idea of it....

I don't find it difficult to understand....

Did I do drugs...no, I tried pot...but we didn't do drugs b/c we knew they were addictive so we stayed away from them, period.

One commercial I watched showed a grown man in his 20's stating, that "Well, he tried them because his friends kept bugging him to do it, and so he got hooked? Are you kidding me? Why would you do something like that in the first place...and he had to be lying, b/c you can't do opioids once and get hooked.

Even when I had surgeries, I weened myself off of the pain pills before hand, b/c I knew they were addictive...

Where is the personal mature responsibility...?

and then to boot, there surely is enough information out there to know, that if you move on to Heroine, your going to become addicted? So why do it in the first place.

Personally I believe these are all excuses why they are addicted to these drugs....and it isn't American's fault, nor our problem...what is going on with parenting? Are parents discussing drugs with their kids? How serious they are....

Honestly I don't believe parents are giving their kids enough responsibilities....when they are young, so they grow up fully aware?

What's your take....
Parents fed their kids ADD pills to keep them calm, had them diagnosed for everything under the sun by for profit clinics and now we wonder why they are popping pills in adulthood?

5 kids, not one of them needed pills to cope. Parenting is hard work.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Parents fed their kids ADD pills to keep them calm, had them diagnosed for everything under the sun by for profit clinics and now we wonder why they are popping pills in adulthood?

you know your right I forgot all about this....I know someone who was a school teacher and she told me the same thing, and it surely in most of them wasn't a medical problem, but a behavior problem. Also feeding them Ritalin for hyperactivity and impulse control. Again, only 1% of children were truly hyperactive.....and it is habit forming.

thank you for reminding me.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:23 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

I was a preschool teacher and I had this boy in my class who had ADD (according to his mother). She was constantly telling us how she was trying to get him diagnosed because he was out of control and she didn't know how to handle it. This was the same woman who dropped him off every morning with a mountain dew and salt and vinegar chips for breakfast. We never let him have that. Myself and other teachers would take turn buying him a breakfast through the school so that he was getting some nutrition. He was actually a great kid. Yeah he was a bit hyper and sometimes acted out, but we worked with him and he wasn't as out of control as his mother said. Our director spoke with her and gave her suggestions and advice on what to feed him, how to handle certain behaviors. She got mad and eventually pulled him out of our school.

Pills should never be the answer.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I was a preschool teacher and I had this boy in my class who had ADD (according to his mother). She was constantly telling us how she was trying to get him diagnosed because he was out of control and she didn't know how to handle it. This was the same woman who dropped him off every morning with a mountain dew and salt and vinegar chips for breakfast. We never let him have that. Myself and other teachers would take turn buying him a breakfast through the school so that he was getting some nutrition. He was actually a great kid. Yeah he was a bit hyper and sometimes acted out, but we worked with him and he wasn't as out of control as his mother said. Our director spoke with her and gave her suggestions and advice on what to feed him, how to handle certain behaviors. She got mad and eventually pulled him out of our school.

Pills should never be the answer.

she was fortunate to have you...to bad she refused to listen, the boy will suffer for it and I bet you think of him often....

Old 10-11-2017, 09:54 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
Quote:
she was fortunate to have you...to bad she refused to listen, the boy will suffer for it and I bet you think of him often....
Thank you. I do still think about him. He is 27 now. I am very curious to see how he is doing.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Thank you. I do still think about him. He is 27 now. I am very curious to see how he is doing.
perhaps some day your path will cross again and you can ask him.....I hope he's doing well....

remember what positive influences some of my teachers were.....

thank you!

Old 10-11-2017, 11:07 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:

We've been hearing a whole lot lately about the opioid crisis/problem. Christie even made commercials for a radio talk show, which sympathizes the whole idea of it....

Did I do drugs...no, I tried pot...but we didn't do drugs b/c we knew they were addictive so we stayed away from them, period.

One commercial I watched showed a grown man in his 20's stating, that "Well, he tried them because his friends kept bugging him to do it, and so he got hooked? Are you kidding me? Why would you do something like that in the first place...and he had to be lying, b/c you can't do opioids once and get hooked.

Even when I had surgeries, I weened myself off of the pain pills before hand, b/c I knew they were addictive...

and then to boot, there surely is enough information out there to know, that if you move on to Heroine, your going to become addicted? So why do it in the first place.

Personally I believe these are all excuses why they are addicted to these drugs....and it isn't American's fault, nor our problem...what is going on with parenting? Are parents discussing drugs with their kids? How serious they are....

Honestly I don't believe parents are giving their kids enough responsibilities....when they are young, so they grow up fully aware?

What's your take....
You are correct "personal mature responsibility".

The parents are using also, where do you think the younger kids get their pills from. Doctors give out "pain" medication like it is candy. I was told that in the school trying to address a child's issues with parents was a waste of time, as with drugs, kids using generally had parents using. The kids had major behavioral issues too!

My dad said, in the 1960s, the way to fix it is put them in a room full of it, and the problem would take care of itself. Well, that is where they are headed anyway. Dead man/woman walking.

In the age of "no personal responsibility", there is always someone or something else to blame it seems.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:25 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:

What's your take....
Addicts lie and they are good at it. They will ALWAYS try to point blame else where. One of the biggest lies is that most opiate addicts are addicted because of surgery or some doctor prescribed situation. That's complete BS. Most opiate addicts never had anything prescribed to them. They buy it off the street to get high. Out of about 20 people I know that are addicted or have OD'd and died, NONE of them were prescribed anything at all, they ALL got their first high from the street. The sad part about what Christie is doing is it's going to be a waste of money. You can't force an addict into recovery, they have to want it and options are available already for those who do. The ONLY way to force them is to lock them up. One of my friends lost a son to a heroin OD. Nope, never had anything prescribed. Now his mom thinks she can help other addicts and trying to start some sort of awareness campaign. That's all good to make her feel better about her loss but it will do nothing. If she or her husband couldn't do anything for their son while he was under their own roof, what exactly are they going to do for strangers? NOTHING! Raise awareness? Who doesn't already know that heroin in addictive and deadly? Who? EVERYONE had learned that multiple times throughout school. It's a lost cause, just let the addicts OD and do more to keep the crap from coming over the border. Opiate addicts have been around since the beginning of time, the only reason this is a so called "epidemic" is because some rich people's kids are dying from it, that's all.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You are correct "personal mature responsibility".

The parents are using also, where do you think the younger kids get their pills from. Doctors give out "pain" medication like it is candy. I was told that in the school trying to address a child's issues with parents was a waste of time, as with drugs, kids using generally had parents using. The kids had major behavioral issues too!

My dad said, in the 1960s, the way to fix it is put them in a room full of it, and the problem would take care of itself. Well, that is where they are headed anyway. Dead man/woman walking.

In the age of "no personal responsibility", there is always someone or something else to blame it seems.
yes, stupid Christie, made a commercial, calling it a disease....guess he wants votes badly, especially after that beach issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies