Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 09:13 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Minimum wage is screwing with the poor. It is equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot and claiming that's the smartest idea.

Safety net without obligation is to encourage the poor to stay poor.

How is privatization a bad thing?
I will address your third question only.

Tolls and user fees are regressive, amounting to a higher percentage of your income the less you make
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:44 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
No such law will pass because the Democraps are screwing with the poor!
Although most of the Democrap policies hurt the poor, their illegal alien policy hurts the poor the most. The vast amount of illegal aliens directly compete with the poor for health care, education, jobs and welfare.
Why do you hate the poor? Why do the Democraps hate the poor?
You've got to be kidding. Republicans control congress and hold the presidency and they haven't proposed any significant changes to immigration policy. ICE runs around and picks off the low hanging fruit and that's about it. Trump has them do that so that he can throw bits of red meat to the mouth breathers and they lap it up. The Chamber of Commerce, and industry lobbyists will never allow for massive deportation, hell half the restaurants in the US would be left without prep cooks or dishwashers and most major building projects would grind to a halt.

PS your claim that "illegals" compete with the poor for healthcare education and welfare is laughable, there are no finite limits to those programs..in other words if too many "illegals" attend a school they don't turn away the children of poor citizens when they show up to attend

FYI, I am a liberal or whatever you want to call me but you might not be aware of my personal views on illegal immigration. I am opposed to birthright citizenship, I think it's an anomaly we are one of the only nations to have a policy like that. I would support ending it prospectively but not retroactively.

And I'm old, I've been around for a very long time and I watched businesses hire contractors in the 70's to bus in loads of undocumented people and replace entire citizen workforces overnight. The people who took those jobs aren't evil, they were doing what anyone would do, try to make a living for themselves and their families.

Employers have gotten away with hiring people who have no legal right to be here for over 40 years and NOTHING has happened to them. They should be put in jail and if they continue the practice their businesses should be seized. Mexicans don't come here for our wonderful beaches, they come here for jobs and unless we stop employers from hiring them then don't expect anything to change. And no politician regardless of party affiliation will do a thing because they are in office due to the campaign contributions they receive from the industries who benefit from illegal immigration

Old 10-31-2017, 09:47 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You've got to be kidding. Republicans control congress and hold the presidency and they haven't proposed any significant changes to immigration policy. ICE runs around and picks off the low hanging fruit and that's about it. Trump has them do that so that he can throw bits of red meat to the mouth breathers and they lap it up. The Chamber of Commerce, and industry lobbyists will never allow for massive deportation, hell half the restaurants in the US would be left without prep cooks or dishwashers and most major building projects would grind to a halt.

PS your claim that "illegals" compete with the poor for healthcare education and welfare is laughable, there are no finite limits to those programs..in other words if too many "illegals" attend a school they don't turn away the children of poor citizens when they show up to attend

FYI, I am a liberal or whatever you want to call me but you might not be aware of my personal views on illegal immigration. I am opposed to birthright citizenship, I think it's an anomaly we are one of the only nations to have a policy like that. I would support ending it prospectively but not retroactively.

And I'm old, I've been around for a very long time and I watched businesses hire contractors in the 70's to bus in loads of undocumented people and replace entire citizen workforces overnight. The people who took those jobs aren't evil, they were doing what anyone would do, try to make a living for themselves and their families.

Employers have gotten away with hiring people who have no legal right to be here for over 40 years and NOTHING has happened to them. They should be put in jail and if they continue the practice their businesses should be seized. Mexicans don't come here for our wonderful beaches, they come here for jobs and unless we stop employers from hiring them then don't expect anything to change. And Republicans/conservatives won't do a thing because they are in office due to the campaign contributions they receive from the industries who benefit from illegal immigration

$20 trillion in debt!!!

Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I will address your third question only.

Tolls and user fees are regressive, amounting to a higher percentage of your income the less you make
What?

What is your point? Just because you are poor, you shouldn't pay your fair share?

Old 10-31-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
What?

What is your point? Just because you are poor, you shouldn't pay your fair share?
For what should be "the commons"/public services, yes. Public services should be either based on a flat percentage of your income, or be progressive (lower percentage the less you make).

Old 10-31-2017, 10:11 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:

$20 trillion in debt!!!
Which illegal aliens over their economic lives will hold down. There is a reasonable argument that the illegal aliens have a positive net present value. And it would likely get better if the were legalized.

Again it should not have happened. But the issue is how to end it successfully. The RW is trying maintain it which is probably the worst outcome economically.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
For what should be "the commons"/public services, yes. Public services should be either based on a flat percentage of your income, or be progressive (lower percentage the less you make).
Why? Is your dollar somehow worth more than other's?

Old 10-31-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Which illegal aliens over their economic lives will hold down. There is a reasonable argument that the illegal aliens have a positive net present value. And it would likely get better if the were legalized.

Again it should not have happened. But the issue is how to end it successfully. The RW is trying maintain it which is probably the worst outcome economically.
What reasonable argument? What positive net present value? How does that help the poor?

Old 10-31-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Why? Is your dollar somehow worth more than other's?
Because the poor shouldn't be deprived of the use of roads, or access to police or fire Services, etc

Old 10-31-2017, 10:24 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
There is a difference between everyone giving a little SO THAT one person doesn't have to bleed their self dry
"Everyone" doesn't "give a little." More than 45% of 1040 filers pay NO federal income tax whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies