Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 02:30 AM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Either we ALL pay, or NO ONE pays. We need a flat tax.
Totally agree.

We also need a cap on sustenance services received (exempting only quadriplegics) to be a percentage of that flat tax paid long-term. So if you paid 100k over a decade, you could receive up to 2x the level of such services someone paying 50k did. This category should include HC subsidies, food stamps, housing assistance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 03:26 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In the case of Gates, he has helped with that.......in other countries .
Why doesn't he help the American poor that way? That sure is a slap in the face. Help everyone else but your own fellow countrymen? Perhaps we need to change the US tax code to only allow tax deductions and exemptions for charity that helps the poor here in the US. Then, if you wish, you can help others elsewhere, but no tax deductions/exemptions for that.

After all, what Gates (and others like him, including the Clinton Foundation) are doing is reducing his tax bill paid to the US by spending charitable donations abroad. So the Fed Gov loses some of tax revenue that would have been used to help the poor here in the US, so Gates can prioritize those elsewhere. That sucks.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:15 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,777 times
Quote:

Liberals don't give a chit about the poor. They're just money grubbers, wanting to take from others.
My monthly income
735 SSI
SNAP

Last Winter, in January I met a guy at the library, and found out he was homeless. I told him to come stay with me, and I'd help him get back on his feet. I can barely take care of myself, but I wanted to help him, and that was the only way I knew how. He found a job not long after that. Five months later he met another girl and they started dating. He moved in with her not long after that. A month or so. Last I knew they were getting married, and he got a promotion in his job. So **** with your "liberals don't give a s--t about the poor." You don't know a damn thing about me, OR what I care about.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
My monthly income
735 SSI
SNAP

Last Winter, in January I met a guy at the library, and found out he was homeless. I told him to come stay with me, and I'd help him get back on his feet. I can barely take care of myself, but I wanted to help him, and that was the only way I knew how. He found a job not long after that. Five months later he met another girl and they started dating. He moved in with her not long after that. A month or so. Last I knew they were getting married, and he got a promotion in his job. So **** with your "liberals don't give a s--t about the poor." You don't know a damn thing about me, OR what I care about.
Great! If all liberals/lefties would put their own money where their mouths are, they wouldn't have to confiscate it from others. That's exactly my point.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:30 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,943,391 times
Quote:
Great! If all liberals/lefties would put their own money where their mouths are, they wouldn't have to confiscate it from others. That's exactly my point.
IC your taxes are going to programs you disagree with and theres nothing you can do about it

Old 10-16-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
IC your taxes are going to programs you disagree with and theres nothing you can do about it
If others don't pay federal income tax, why should I?

More than 45% of 1040 filers pay no federal income tax whatsoever.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
St. Jude's and Shriners have charity hospitals for children. Why don't liberals open and fund charity hospitals for the poor?
I donate. Do you?

Old 10-16-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I donate. Do you?
Yes, I do. Make that financial support VOLUNTARY instead of forcefully confiscating others' earnings. The forceful confiscation is inherently unfair when more than 45% of 1040 tax filers pay NO federal income tax whatsoever.

Either EVERYONE pays, or NO ONE does.

Implement a 25% VAT tax, like many European countries have. That way, even those who earn their incomes illicitly and therefore don't report their income to or file a 1040 with the IRS still pay their fair share. Examples: drug dealers, arms traffickers, smugglers of controlled goods (e.g., ivory tusks, endangered animal pelts, foreign nations' antiquities), money launderers, illegal betting operations, con artists, illegal aliens working for cash under the table, etc.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Yeah.."The Constitution is just a piece of paper" as a previous President stated..right ?

You can't be ok with one party doing something and then outraged when the other party does the exact same thing.

Either you hold both parties to the same standard or just forget your standards.
Why don't you put that in context, skycaller?

Quote:
Our Constitution is a remarkable, beautiful gift. But it’s really just a piece of parchment. It has no power on its own. We, the people, give it power. We, the people, give it meaning — with our participation, and with the choices that we make and the alliances that we forge.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/u...ss-speech.html

Old 10-16-2017, 07:35 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,943,391 times
Quote:

More than 45% of 1040 filers pay no federal income tax whatsoever.
Can't get blood from a stone. If you are blessed to be earning so much taxes shouldn't bother you. You are like a child only concerned with himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies