Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 03:06 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Roommates are a huge risk long term. They can steal from you. They can become a deadbeat and not pay the bills and cause you to get an eviction from a place you couldn't afford on your own (which is why you got a roommate to begin with). They could be closet drug dealers or druggies that bring police attention which results in an eviction for you. A LL has to name everyone on the lease in the eviction process. And good luck renting a place in the future with the eviction on your record. Living in a car is preferable to becoming a victim to someone else's actions.
Welcome to the real world... Poorly chosen spouses can do any or all of those things, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Instant? I'm almost 35 years old, I did my time living like a teenager, back when I pulled in only $20k/year
35 is young. You have at least another 30 years to work your way up the standard of living ladder.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The US citizenry doesn't pay that now. Employers and local and state governments pay most of it. No, the $3.2 trillion/year is IN ADDITION TO what the Fed Gov already spends on Medicare and Medicaid, which is about $1.2 trillion/year. Why so much extra? About 30 million people are currently still uninsured.
The 3.2 trillion is simply the present US payment for health care. If the US federal government paid for all health care it would therefore spend 3.2 trillion. And where would that come from? Mostly the same place it does now. That is the pockets of US citizens, corporations and the States and Federal Government. The only thing that would initially change is we get rid of a set of middle men who pick off 20 or 30% of this revenue as it goes past. The paths may be different, that is taxes on corporations rather than they paying health costs directly. but the amount overall would be the same or less. And in fact they may be able to squeeze enough money from the system to cover all Americans.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The 3.2 trillion is simply the present US payment for health care.
No, it isn't. Read the Urban Institute report. The $3.2 trillion/year is ADDITIONAL federal spending.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
35 is young. You have at least another 30 years to work your way up the standard of living ladder.
Young my fanny. By the time my dad was my age, he earned the same non adjusted dollar amount I do, and he was married, had a house and I was 3 years old; and my dad had his college degree in music, so wasn't applicable to the field he was working in at the time

Old 11-01-2017, 03:18 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,222 times
Quote:
Young my fanny. By the time my dad was my age, he earned the same non adjusted dollar amount I do, and he was married, had a house and I was 3 years old; and my dad had his college degree in music, so wasn't applicable to the field he was working in at the time
You could easily have a house, gaining equity for the future.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Well, can you afford your lifestyle and have a significant savings cushion in case things go south? No? Well, then guess what... You're already living beyond your means. You should have no problem paying $9,600/year health insurance premiums plus a $6,250/year deductible.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:22 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,222 times
Quote:
Well, can you afford your lifestyle and have a significant savings cushion in case things go south? No? Well, then guess what... You're already living beyond your means. You should have no problem paying $9,600/year health insurance premiums plus a $6,250/year deductible.
Herein lies the problem. People living beyond their means, spending their money frivolously, instead of paying for their own healthcare and investing and saving for the future. I know numerous people who go out to eat several times a week, have expensive cable and cell phone bills, waste a tremendous amount and then complain that they can't get ahead and claim they are victims.

The simple truth, it's very easy to get ahead and become wealthy if one is frugal and invests properly.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
I don't pay for my health insurance, I get it from my employer

Old 11-01-2017, 03:29 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
The US citizenry doesn't pay that now. Employers and local and state governments pay most of it. No, the $3.2 trillion/year is IN ADDITION TO what the Fed Gov already spends on Medicare and Medicaid, which is about $1.2 trillion/year. Why so much extra? About 30 million people are currently still uninsured.
No...

U.S. health care spending grew 5.8 percent in 2015, reaching $3.2 trillion or $9,990 per person. As a share of the nation's Gross Domestic Product, health spending accounted for 17.8 percent

.https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statist...istorical.html

3.2 trillion of new expenditure would mean doubling the US health care cost which is quite impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies