Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:52 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,129,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The problem is that 48% of all US births are paid by Medicaid. And 43% of CHIP/Medicaid free health care for the poor enrollees are under age 18. Clearly they can't pay for their health care. And quite clearly, neither can their parents.

What started out as a humanitarian effort to ease hardship, has turned into a system that actually encourages and rewards irresponsibility. That is a completely unsustainable problem.
That's exactly what Obamacare has done. It has encouraged those who want healthcare not to work because if you don't work and do not have an income, you are entitled to free, or close to free healthcare (reward). Who likes to work hard just to pay more for healthcare compared to those who don't work but still gets healthcare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 10:52 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,565,672 times
Trump will toss them some rolls of paper towels and then soon forget them.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:53 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
The conservative answer: we do nothing.

I don't think they see a problem with it. If you're poor, your fault. Healthcare is not a right, remember?

Old 10-13-2017, 10:56 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
The gulf between being poor enough to qualify for Medicaid and making enough money to pay for healthcare is immense. There are plenty of poor people who do not qualify for any help.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:57 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Able bodied people should get a job if they want to have healthcare. Those who just arrive into the US shouldn't be on the top of the list to get government assistance.
You're complete out of touch with reality if you think anything but mid-high level salaried positions come with health care.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:03 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
The real issue is the cost. Hospitals & doctors began to switch from a non-profit model to a for-profit one over a few decades starting in the 1960s, which of course coincides with the skyrocketing (and still rising!) cost of getting health care. The government needs to rein in the entire industry, not keep giving them more money. It's a complete mess.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:22 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,783,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The gulf between being poor enough to qualify for Medicaid and making enough money to pay for healthcare is immense. There are plenty of poor people who do not qualify for any help.
This is what I'm talking about. Not the destitute but the working poor, who don't get company sponsored health care. Plus to all the posters pointing out whats wrong, my question is WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION.
As pointed out in the article, government has always been a sponsor of health care.

For those who said Medicaid, yes. A major benefit of ACA was to have a larger risk pool. That's how insurance works, it's why I probably pay less and get better service with a plan sponsored by the Fortune 100 company I work for than a small mom and pop who cover a dozen employees.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:40 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
There is lots of cheering going on here about gutting ACA because it cost too much. Government has always taken care of the health of the needy:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...re-aca/521541/

So what now? When someone goes to seek health care they just get turned away to go home and die? If they are treated at a health care facility we pay through either a government reimbursement to the facility or through higher medical costs.
Do we take on the third work option of not allowing people to leave the hospital till their bill is paid?
I hear lots of stuff you don't like..be honest, what is your option? If it's just let them die, please have the guts to come right out and say it. Not my problem equals the same thing.
Simple.

All the liberals pool their own money together and pay for the pool since they claim to care about the poor so much.

What? Did I just hear a cricket?

Old 10-13-2017, 11:42 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
This is what I'm talking about. Not the destitute but the working poor, who don't get company sponsored health care. Plus to all the posters pointing out whats wrong, my question is WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION.
As pointed out in the article, government has always been a sponsor of health care.

For those who said Medicaid, yes. A major benefit of ACA was to have a larger risk pool. That's how insurance works, it's why I probably pay less and get better service with a plan sponsored by the Fortune 100 company I work for than a small mom and pop who cover a dozen employees.
All the liberals pool their own money together and pay for the pool since they claim to care about the poor so much.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:50 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
The same man that wants to take $7B from sick people wants $10B for a wall even though more Mexicans are leaving than are coming in. Trump's priorities are to his very white, straight, evangelical base many who are already on Medicare. Trump does not and will not help the sickest in our country, he lied to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies