Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 01:59 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
How far would Republicans like to get government out of their private business? Does that include Medicare? Social Security? End public schooling? Put tolls on all roads (which will make rural travel extremely expensive)? Make police and fire a monthly coverage fee? Health coverage has the highest potential for financial devastation but do Republicans want to privatize schools, roads and public services as well? End Medicare, schools, disaster funding, all of it?
I'd be absolutely fine without social security. 8500 or so I paid into it for 16...
That's 8500 I could have invested into a far more yielding venture.
Could pick up a classic car cheap, put the 8500 into it that would be needed, sell it for 38,500
If I could stop paying into it tomorrow and collect every penny I paid into it I'd be happier than a pig in poo!

End public schooling. Sure we could do that. I'd have no problem paying for top tier quality education.
Put tolls on roads? There already are tolls on roads... comes in the form of registration fees and fuel taxes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 02:00 PM

11,145 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
So why would Trump outright sabotage it?

It makes no political sense to do that. Much smarter to let it die.
Because when something is bound to suffer a slow, lingering death and drag the rest of us along with it, it is far better to swiftly put it out of its misery and alleviate the suffering.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:01 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
No health care coverage would be better than ACA. Zero is higher than a negative number. I don't want to subsidize insurance companies. Let them compete for business like every other ethical business. Let the market set the prices.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:02 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When we tried to warn you, when we told you it's too expensive and that it's hurting too many Americans, you and your leftist masters ignored us, even tried silencing us. So instead we spoke with our vote and voted for someone who understood it has major flaws. What did you expect us to do???... just bend over and keep taking it????

You got a choice, let it fail on it's own or demand that Congress start working with President Trump. You tried the first way, but as long as it worked for you, you didn't care what it did to others. Now you'll pay the piper for your (leftist) ignorance and refusal to work with others.
Your President is making it worse. He is pushing premiums FURTHER UP on Americans with his intentionally destabilizing executive orders.

And the GOP alternatives are EVEN WORSE.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I'm not sure if I can do this....

Ok, let's go back a bit. Health care does not need to be nearly as expensive as it is. Health insurance is what drives the prices up on health care. By passing the ACA, liberals basically gave health care providers and health insurance companies a blank check and said: "fill in the amount that you want to charge the American citizens, we'll make sure that they pay it."

If you defend the ACA, you don't get to complain about the cost of healthcare or health insurance, because you openly admit to not understanding how badly the ACA screwed up both. The way to drive down health insurance prices is to open up the market to competition. Under the ACA, there is no reason for companies to compete because the federal government is effectively holding a gun to the head of every American citizen and telling them "you must buy this product, even if you don't want to." What is the incentive for health insurance companies to lower their prices when they have an entire country that is forced to do business with them?

For health care, we need to go back to a cash for services model when we go to the doctor's office. It will eliminate the need for a plethora of people who do nothing but sit and deal with insurance companies all day, thereby eliminating a huge chunk of payroll that is completely unnecessary. If you want to purchase insurance to cover the standard doctor visit, that's fine, after we fix the giant cluster$%$% that the ACA caused. Once we stop forcing the American public to buy into the giant pyramid scheme that was created by the ACA, it will probably be affordable.
Agree and disagree. Obama wanted a public option. Obama wanted there to be competition between insurance companies and the government. Give the public a choice. Insurance companies balked, sent their lobbyists and instead, what passed Congress was the original Republican plan developed by the Heritage Foundation and sold by Romney and Gingrich in 2006.

If we are not going to socialize health care costs, there will be winners and losers including many deaths. That's the reality of it. If someone has a financially devastating illness and can't afford a heart bypass, chemo, bone marrow transplant, etc. that is a death sentence. Companies will not compete for their business and they will die. For seniors, their health costs are going to be much more expensive at an age they are likely no longer working. That becomes a death sentence too. I know someone whose mother had a brain tumor. Surprisingly she had the brain surgery, had it removed, got chemo and five years later is still going strong. No way would she have been able to pay cash for that treatment, she would have died.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Your President is making it worse. He is pushing premiums FURTHER UP on Americans with his intentionally destabilizing executive orders.

He also lifted the fine for not having it

LOL

Old 10-14-2017, 02:04 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
No health care coverage would be better than ACA. Zero is higher than a negative number. I don't want to subsidize insurance companies. Let them compete for business like every other ethical business. Let the market set the prices.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:04 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Keep the hysteria up.

He ended the illegal and unconstitutional subsidy to the insurers.

But don’t let a good outrage go to waste.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:05 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
He also lifted the fine for not having it

LOL
Not true that i know of. My friend had his taxes done at the county for free and they would not leave the forms blank and he had to pay a fine.

Last edited by LKJ1988; 10-14-2017 at 02:19 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Agree and disagree. Obama wanted a public option. Obama wanted there to be competition between insurance companies and the government. Give the public a choice. Insurance companies balked, sent their lobbyists and instead, what passed Congress was the original Republican plan developed by the Heritage Foundation and sold by Romney and Gingrich in 2006.

If we are not going to socialize health care costs, there will be winners and losers including many deaths. That's the reality of it. If someone has a financially devastating illness and can't afford a heart bypass, chemo, bone marrow transplant, etc. that is a death sentence. Companies will not compete for their business and they will die. For seniors, their health costs are going to be much more expensive at an age they are likely no longer working. That becomes a death sentence too. I know someone whose mother had a brain tumor. Surprisingly she had the brain surgery, had it removed, got chemo and five years later is still going strong. No way would she have been able to pay cash for that treatment, she would have died.
At least you're honest in wanting or believing spreading the debt is a good thing.

I already addressed your emotional tirade before. Place consumer protection laws in effect, that puts the insurance industries in check.

Is that too simple, or do you still believe spreading the debt is good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies