Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel the confederate flag has a racist message?
Yes and I am a liberal 43 18.45%
Yes and I am a conservative 9 3.86%
Yes and I am an independent 53 22.75%
No and I am a liberal 13 5.58%
No and I am a conservative 50 21.46%
No and I am an independent 65 27.90%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:02 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Yeah, because everyone who has a Confederate flag is racist.

Certainly not.

But let's face it, flying one requires taking a number and waiting in line with some unsavory characters as well as ideas.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:09 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What else would one be trying to communicate by displaying the Confederate flag?

That you're a traitor?

A loser?
You seriously need to open a book and read about history. It's impossible to argue with ignorance.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Certainly not.

But let's face it, flying one requires taking a number and waiting in line with some unsavory characters as well as ideas.
I live in North Florida, close enough to Georgia that it may as well be as suburb. I know dozens of people who own a Confederate flag, several of whom aren't white and could in no way be considered to be racist or racist sympathizers. Perhaps two of the people I know that own Confederate flags are actually racist.

The assumption that flying the Confederate flag = supporting racism is a terrible exercise of logic. There is far more to Southern heritage than slavery, but that fact seems to be lost on people who can't be bothered to actually study history.

I said earlier that someone needs to come up with the exact date when historical racism no longer matters, because when you go far enough back the vast majority of nations were racist against someone. Perhaps we should just come forward from 1865 and remove reference to any and everything that can be considered racist. Sorry, DNC, you can't exist anymore because of historical racism. Sorry, NYC, due to the way you treated minorities back in the Sixties and Seventies we're burning you down.

Slippery slope is slippery.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:58 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
I live in North Florida, close enough to Georgia that it may as well be as suburb. I know dozens of people who own a Confederate flag, several of whom aren't white and could in no way be considered to be racist or racist sympathizers. Perhaps two of the people I know that own Confederate flags are actually racist.

The assumption that flying the Confederate flag = supporting racism is a terrible exercise of logic. There is far more to Southern heritage than slavery, but that fact seems to be lost on people who can't be bothered to actually study history.

I said earlier that someone needs to come up with the exact date when historical racism no longer matters, because when you go far enough back the vast majority of nations were racist against someone. Perhaps we should just come forward from 1865 and remove reference to any and everything that can be considered racist. Sorry, DNC, you can't exist anymore because of historical racism. Sorry, NYC, due to the way you treated minorities back in the Sixties and Seventies we're burning you down.

Slippery slope is slippery.

I do not doubt your sincerity, but that particular flag has been associated with some negatives. Consequently, it is very hard to convince a lot of people- particularly black people- that it is benign.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:05 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I do not doubt your sincerity, but that particular flag has been associated with some negatives. Consequently, it is very hard to convince a lot of people- particularly black people- that it is benign.
Even still, it isn't illegal to be an a$$h0le and/or racist, at least not on your own property and with your own time/dime.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:11 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Yeah, because everyone who has a Confederate flag is racist.
They also said everybody that white is racist so why should I listen or even try to help of other races, since no matter what I do I'm going get the blame , might as well enjoy the crime too

Old 10-16-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
They also said everybody that white is racist so why should I listen or even try to help of other races, since no matter what I do I'm going get the blame , might as well enjoy the crime too
As a white male, I can sympathize with your stance. I just try to ignore the idiots and do the same thing that I teach my children; Treat everyone the way that you want to be treated.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:16 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Many Native American Indians fought for the Confederate Side and flew the flag.....I guess they were White Supremacists also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native...es_Reunion.gif

Old 10-16-2017, 03:18 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
The slave-holding states began seceding from December 1860 onwards. As a result, senators from the slave-holding states had already resigned that could otherwise have voted against the tariff bill. Had they not resigned, they would have had enough votes in the Senate to successfully block the tariff’s congressional passage.

The Morill tariff became law as a result of the slave-holding states secession, they 'took their ball & went home'.

The 'tariff myth' is another component of the 'Lost Cause' narrative & mythology.

Debunking the Civil War Tariff Myth

https://imperialglobalexeter.com/201...r-tariff-myth/
And this further proves that slavery was a big part of this. Anyone who believes that slavery had nothing to do with it or tries to downplay it is a liar.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:19 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Many Native American Indians fought for the Confederate Side and flew the flag.....I guess they were White Supremacists also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native...es_Reunion.gif
And you know what? Some Cherokees owned slaves. The Confederates were not saying "enslave Native Americans". Confederates wanted to enslave Blacks and looked down on Blacks. And there were Native Americans who looked down on Blacks. In Oklahoma, it was illegal for Blacks to intermarry with Whites or Native Americans, but Native Americans could intermarry with Whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies