Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
... and some of the evidence favoring the view that sugar is addictive is fairly strong.
Being addicted to nicotine I can tell you what addition is and I just don't see it with sugar. I probably have a slight addiction to caffeine as well and I stopped using sugar in my coffee a long time ago just because of the issues with teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 01:47 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Don't forget saturated fat and cholesterol are terrible also, and the meat, egg, and dairy industry have engaged in shady practices themselves to promote the idea of their foods as being 'healthy' and 'harmless.'

Not to mention the millions of animals that suffer horribly for the sake of greedy American palates. People always whine about how other countries eat dogs or kill dolphins, but they need not look further than their own neighborhoods.
Plenty of folks do quite well on meat, eggs and dairy.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
It is unfathomably ridiculous that unhealthy food (of many kinds) is subsidized by the gov't while healthy food is not.
While there is certainly issues with farming subsidies one thing to realize is that those subsidies are in place to insure there is no food shortages. Before they were in place if you had a good growing season the farmer would have plenty of product to sell but it would be almost worthless. If you had a poor growing season the price is through the roof but the farmer has no product to sell.

The subsidies insure they overplant so there is plenty of product at a reasonable price during a poor growing season.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:57 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,630 times
BTW:
Here is a short clip from the documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLKwiNpjLZ8

And you can watch the full version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaAQRfxpSjI

Old 10-20-2017, 02:00 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
I think constant physical hyperactivity should be made addictive to offset the effects of sugar addiction.

That way . . .

Oh, nevermind, I think we already have it.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:11 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
While there is certainly issues with farming subsidies one thing to realize is that those subsidies are in place to insure there is no food shortages. Before they were in place if you had a good growing season the farmer would have plenty of product to sell but it would be almost worthless. If you had a poor growing season the price is through the roof but the farmer has no product to sell.

The subsidies insure they overplant so there is plenty of product at a reasonable price during a poor growing season.
That's big government and no longer necessary. With imports and multi-national food corporations and networks this is fine and their is no harm in paying more when shortages occur.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:17 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I can see it. Sugar is very addicting. People make choices to eat it, and we've always been told not to eat so much sugar.

It's in a lot of foods, and there are labels on the back of products that people can read. If it's got a long list of ingredients, chances are it's not that great to be eating.

No one makes their own stuff anymore. They are too busy, lazy, don't want to wait, don't want to do all those dishes after...but it's not a new discovery. It's not that people don't know, it's that they don't care enough to take more time to eat something that isn't packaged.
Cooking at home with fresh ingredients is perhaps the best way to 1) eat healthily and 2) understand what REALLY goes into your food.

If more people did that today (while also choosing to exercise more, even if it just meant going for a small walk every day), we could improve the health of people in this country in dramatic ways.

Unfortunately, we are, as a population, generally too lazy, too busy, or too cheap to do all of the above.

It's unfortunate. And the proliferation of easy-to-cook frozen/processed food certainly has not helped.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
That's big government and no longer necessary. With imports and multi-national food corporations and networks this is fine and their is no harm in paying more when shortages occur.
Tell that to some low income parent just getting by.... This isn't just about costs either, it's also about making sure people have something to eat. The only way you can do that is by overplanting.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:24 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Tell that to some low income parent just getting by.... This isn't just about costs either, it's also about making sure people have something to eat. The only way you can do that is by overplanting.
Sounds like why we have a ton of cheap Walmarts and no mom n pops anymore.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:29 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Not much problem for me personally, as I eat only basic foods that I fix for myself, from scratch. No sugar, wheat, rice, potatoes, saturated fat, red meat, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol or anything else that isn't fully nutritional and harmless. And lots of fresh fruit, nuts and vegetables. Plus plenty of hard exercise. It's not difficult at all to do this and the benefits are great. It is an addictive life-style-------a good addiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies