Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 01:11 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,782,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Bingo...all this nonsense of what is good or bad for you is just that...NONSENSE. Its portion size and moderation that will give you a healthy longer life.
I agree but guar gum, xantham gum, cellulose, TBHQ, BHT, phosphates and so many other so called ingredients serve no purpose, even in moderation.

Fed up was an interesting documentary but food companies should be held accoutable for adding so much wasteful fillers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 01:16 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I agree but guar gum, xantham gum, cellulose, TBHQ, BHT, phosphates and so many other so called ingredients serve no purpose, even in moderation.

Fed up was an interesting documentary but food companies should be held accoutable for adding so much wasteful fillers.
Absolutely agree.. not saying you can or should eat everything..and we do need to monitor what these companies do to cut costs...after all today's world is all about saving every last penny for companies..

Old 10-21-2017, 02:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:

phosphates are already in our food. in fact phosphorus is in EVERYTHING naturally, i know i have to watch what foods i eat due to being on dialysis, and phosphorus doesnt dialyse off like other things do. sodium and potassium phosphate though do have benefits for the human body in that it helps build strong bones, in conjuction with calcium.

but if you really want to hold someone responsible for what is i our food, lets start with the federal government, remember they ALLOW said additives in the foods we eat.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:52 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I'm curious to know who here is aware/unaware of the claim that the American food industry is literally making us sick.

(Quick note: A lot of people these days misuse the word 'literally'. I'm using this word in the original strong sense, i.e., not metaphorically. So I'm saying that that food industry is actually, straight-up, literally making us sick.)

Various celebrities and politicians have tried to bring this crisis to public attention, but I'm not sure how well the message has been distributed, or what people think of the crisis (e.g., do people generally see it as a genuine crisis, or as simply a bunch of hype - the usual whiners whining, etc.?).

Just to be clear: The problem is not just that sugar is cheap and widely available for various economic reasons. That is at the core of the problem, of course, but there are entrenched political aspects as well. For example, attempts to curtail the marketing of junk food aimed at children have been successfully thwarted by the food industry. (Deja ve: Just like a few decades ago when the tobacco industry lobbyists were testifying to congress that cigarettes don't cause cancer, today we have food industry experts claiming that sugar is not a threat to health. And, just as tobacco is addictive and killing people, sugar is literally addictive and killing people. In fact, studies show that it is more addictive than cocaine and - in the quantities consumed in the average American diet - it is a poison (albeit a slow-acting one).

Is sugar addictive?
Sugar addiction: is it real? A narrative review | British Journal of Sports Medicine

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5174153/

Is sugar toxic?
SugarScience.UCSF.edu | The Toxic Truth

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-the-evidence/

How Sugar Affects the Body: New Study Looks Beyond Calories | Time.com

For anyone who is not convinced about the crisis-level nature of this problem, I suggest doing a bit of research then come back here and tell us what you found.

On a related note, have you see the documentary Fed Up? If you have seen the movie and you think it is just a bunch of hooey, I hope you will give some arguments and evidence to support your opinion.

Quick quote from the Wiki page about Fed Up:
As the relationship between the high-sugar diet and poor health has emerged, entrenched sugar industry interests with almost unlimited financial lobbying resources have fended off attempts by parents, schools, states, and in Congress to provide a healthier diet for children.
(Link to Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fed_Up_(film) )

A few quick quotes from the documentary:
"School lunches have evolved to serve the food processors more than the students."

Eighty percent of American high schools have contracts with soft drink companies, with 50 percent of school cafeterias serving fast food.

"Eighty percent of the 600,000 food products in the United States have added sugar."
Our food chain is mostly crap and sugar is doing severe damage to our health.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:08 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,731,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so the food police are at it again. if you want a healthy diet you have to stop eating all kinds of food that people have been eating for thousands of years.

red meat is bad for you, eggs are bad for you, sugar is bad for you, butter is bad, margarine is bad, milk is bad, pasta is bad, then good, then bad again, salt is bad preservatives are bad, soy is good/bad, etc. etc. etc.
If you have not see the documentary Fed Up, then I would highly recommend it for you, and I would love to hear your reactions to it. The focus of the movie is sugar, and I notice that it is not on your list. In fact, the primary focus of the movie is on the way in which the food industry specifically targets children and tries to get them hooked on sugar as young as possible. And how they have tailored school lunch programs to suit the needs of industry profits at the expense of children's health.

Thinking in very general terms: If you knew that someone was poisoning children (let's suppose you find out that someone in your neighborhood has Munchausen syndrome by proxy syndrome (MbP) and is poisoning her kid. I'm guessing you would call some authorities to protect the child. Right? We'll, for all practical purposes, the American food industry has MbP. (Unfortunately, in this case, some of the authorities are in bed with the killer.)

So, yes, in this case some sort of "food police" really are needed if we want to protect children (and adults too, of course).

Old 10-21-2017, 08:03 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
he intake of sugar is biggest as soft drinks, sweetened teas and ades etc. People down them every meal, break and use them instead of water.

If you eliminate them? Worries of some hidden and added sugars in processed foods is far less a factor. Just drink more water. It merely is adjusting and fighting the craving. Some is caffeine added to soft drinks too. Other sources can be found where sugar amount added or not is a choice.

Additives as preservatives and color enhancers certainly are not preferred. But still some people are very lax with food left out and refrigerated too long. They might have more times of bad food eaten if not for additives. But I agree they are a issue that in moderation is what most of us can hope for in fast daily lives where most do not prepare most from scratch.

At least more of the industry is removing some additives. Lunch meats you can now buy pre-packaged without nitrates. They have found .... Organic on a label has them increase prices and profits too.

It still is a public that changes its habits ands parents that start their kids out eating better in the first place and NOT the taste for a lifetime of soft drinks.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:

You really should look into and learn food science before stating that "ingredients serve no purpose".

Old 10-21-2017, 08:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
he intake of sugar is biggest as soft drinks, sweetened teas and ades etc. People down them every meal, break and use them instead of water.

If you eliminate them? Worries of some hidden and added sugars in processed foods is far less a factor. Just drink more water. It merely is adjusting and fighting the craving. Some is caffeine added to soft drinks too. Other sources can be found where sugar amount added or not is a choice.

Additives as preservatives and color enhancers certainly are not preferred. But still some people are very lax with food left out and refrigerated too long. They might have more times of bad food eaten if not for additives. But I agree they are a issue that in moderation is what most of us can hope for in fast daily lives where most do not prepare most from scratch.

At least more of the industry is removing some additives. Lunch meats you can now buy pre-packaged without nitrates. They have found .... Organic on a label has them increase prices and profits too.

It still is a public that changes its habits ands parents that start their kids out eating better in the first place and NOT the taste for a lifetime of soft drinks.
Sugar or High Fructose Corn Syrup? There IS a big difference.

As for preservatives and Enhancers, since many people purchase highly processed pre-made food nowadays they are needed to keep the product fresh,stable and in the same condition as it was purchased for a longer time than normal. Here's one that really cracks me up. All I need to ask is "what color is butter?".

One highly used chemical that has absolutely NO real use except to addict you to that food or to make you eat more is MSG.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:46 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,932 times
Those folks who get no ferment, or bad figment, well, their guts are like Somalia.

And their brains are disgusting!

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 10-21-2017 at 10:08 AM..

Old 10-21-2017, 10:00 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,932 times
Quote:

These fibers work excellently for you, if you eat the right ferments with them.

Those preservatives kill the benefits of such attempt.

Me? - I live on volatile fatty acids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies