Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 11:52 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,735,118 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know who here is aware/unaware of the claim that the American food industry is literally making us sick.

(Quick note: A lot of people these days misuse the word 'literally'. I'm using this word in the original strong sense, i.e., not metaphorically. So I'm saying that that food industry is actually, straight-up, literally making us sick.)

Various celebrities and politicians have tried to bring this crisis to public attention, but I'm not sure how well the message has been distributed, or what people think of the crisis (e.g., do people generally see it as a genuine crisis, or as simply a bunch of hype - the usual whiners whining, etc.?).

Just to be clear: The problem is not just that sugar is cheap and widely available for various economic reasons. That is at the core of the problem, of course, but there are entrenched political aspects as well. For example, attempts to curtail the marketing of junk food aimed at children have been successfully thwarted by the food industry. (Deja ve: Just like a few decades ago when the tobacco industry lobbyists were testifying to congress that cigarettes don't cause cancer, today we have food industry experts claiming that sugar is not a threat to health. And, just as tobacco is addictive and killing people, sugar is literally addictive and killing people. In fact, studies show that it is more addictive than cocaine and - in the quantities consumed in the average American diet - it is a poison (albeit a slow-acting one).

Is sugar addictive?
http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/20...ts-2017-097971

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5174153/

Is sugar toxic?
http://sugarscience.ucsf.edu/the-tox.../#.Weo6KY-cF9A

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-the-evidence/

http://time.com/4087775/sugar-is-def...ew-study-says/

For anyone who is not convinced about the crisis-level nature of this problem, I suggest doing a bit of research then come back here and tell us what you found.

On a related note, have you see the documentary Fed Up? If you have seen the movie and you think it is just a bunch of hooey, I hope you will give some arguments and evidence to support your opinion.

Quick quote from the Wiki page about Fed Up:
As the relationship between the high-sugar diet and poor health has emerged, entrenched sugar industry interests with almost unlimited financial lobbying resources have fended off attempts by parents, schools, states, and in Congress to provide a healthier diet for children.
(Link to Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fed_Up_(film) )

A few quick quotes from the documentary:
"School lunches have evolved to serve the food processors more than the students."

Eighty percent of American high schools have contracts with soft drink companies, with 50 percent of school cafeterias serving fast food.

"Eighty percent of the 600,000 food products in the United States have added sugar."

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 10-20-2017 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 12:07 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
I can see it. Sugar is very addicting. People make choices to eat it, and we've always been told not to eat so much sugar.

It's in a lot of foods, and there are labels on the back of products that people can read. If it's got a long list of ingredients, chances are it's not that great to be eating.

No one makes their own stuff anymore. They are too busy, lazy, don't want to wait, don't want to do all those dishes after...but it's not a new discovery. It's not that people don't know, it's that they don't care enough to take more time to eat something that isn't packaged.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:10 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Don't forget saturated fat and cholesterol are terrible also, and the meat, egg, and dairy industry have engaged in shady practices themselves to promote the idea of their foods as being 'healthy' and 'harmless.'

Not to mention the millions of animals that suffer horribly for the sake of greedy American palates. People always whine about how other countries eat dogs or kill dolphins, but they need not look further than their own neighborhoods.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:14 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Reported links between sugar and cancer are very strong.
Here's what American Cancer Society says about scanning for cancer:
"Body tissues affected by certain diseases, such as cancer,
may absorb more or less of the tracer than normal tissues.
Special cameras pick up the pattern of radioactivity to create pictures
that show where the tracer travels and where it collects."

Guess what the tracer is?
Radioisotope variations of sugar. Cancer feeds off sugar.
PET scans:
"PET scans usually use a form of radioactive sugar.
Body cells take in different amounts of the sugar, depending on how fast they are growing.
Cancer cells, which grow quickly, are more likely to take up
larger amounts of the sugar than normal cells."

Old 10-20-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I can see it. Sugar is very addicting. People make choices to eat it, and we've always been told not to eat so much sugar.
True. But consider this:

Should tobacco and alcohol company advertising be allowed to target children? E.g., using cartoon characters to promote cigarette brands? Selling cigs and booze at child's-eye-level in every supermarket and convenience store? Should cigs and booze be available in school cafeterias?

This is essentially the problem with sugary junk foods today. Children (and their parents) are inundated with enticements to consume sugar. We all know it makes them sick - literally sick - not just teeth with cavities, but diabetes, heart disease, cancer... and we know it is addicting for many people.

Childhood Diabetes:
"Type 2 diabetes has changed from a disease of our grandparents and parents to a disease of our children."
http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org/content/20/4/217

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12891055

Childhood Heart Disease:
"One in four adolescents has two or more risk factors for heart disease."
http://archive.boston.com/lifestyle/...our_child.html

"Associations between added sugars and increased cardiovascular disease risk factors among US children are present at levels far below current consumption levels. Strong evidence supports the association of added sugars with increased cardiovascular disease risk in children through increased energy intake, increased adiposity, and dyslipidemia."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5365373/

Sugar and Cancer:
https://wellnessmama.com/60145/sugar-and-cancer/

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/0...your-risk.html

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 10-20-2017 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 12:58 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I'm curious to know who here is aware/unaware of the claim that the American food industry is literally making us sick.

(Quick note: A lot of people these days misuse the word 'literally'. I'm using this word in the original strong sense, i.e., not metaphorically. So I'm saying that that food industry is actually, straight-up, literally making us sick.)

Various celebrities and politicians have tried to bring this crisis to public attention, but I'm not sure how well the message has been distributed, or what people think of the crisis (e.g., do people generally see it as a genuine crisis, or as simply a bunch of hype - the usual whiners whining, etc.?).

Just to be clear: The problem is not just that sugar is cheap and widely available for various economic reasons. That is at the core of the problem, of course, but there are entrenched political aspects as well. For example, attempts to curtail the marketing of junk food aimed at children have been successfully thwarted by the food industry. (Deja ve: Just like a few decades ago when the tobacco industry lobbyists were testifying to congress that cigarettes don't cause cancer, today we have food industry experts claiming that sugar is not a threat to health. And, just as tobacco is addictive and killing people, sugar is literally addictive and killing people. In fact, studies show that it is more addictive than cocaine and - in the quantities consumed in the average American diet - it is a poison (albeit a slow-acting one).

Is sugar addictive?
Sugar addiction: is it real? A narrative review | British Journal of Sports Medicine

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5174153/

Is sugar toxic?
SugarScience.UCSF.edu | The Toxic Truth

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-the-evidence/

How Sugar Affects the Body: New Study Looks Beyond Calories | Time.com

For anyone who is not convinced about the crisis-level nature of this problem, I suggest doing a bit of research then come back here and tell us what you found.

On a related note, have you see the documentary Fed Up? If you have seen the movie and you think it is just a bunch of hooey, I hope you will give some arguments and evidence to support your opinion.

Quick quote from the Wiki page about Fed Up:
As the relationship between the high-sugar diet and poor health has emerged, entrenched sugar industry interests with almost unlimited financial lobbying resources have fended off attempts by parents, schools, states, and in Congress to provide a healthier diet for children.
(Link to Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fed_Up_(film) )

A few quick quotes from the documentary:
"School lunches have evolved to serve the food processors more than the students."

Eighty percent of American high schools have contracts with soft drink companies, with 50 percent of school cafeterias serving fast food.

"Eighty percent of the 600,000 food products in the United States have added sugar."

is sugar addictive?
your source says no.

Quote:
Results

We find little evidence to support sugar addiction in humans, and findings from the animal literature suggest that addiction-like behaviours, such as bingeing, occur only in the context of intermittent access to sugar. These behaviours likely arise from intermittent access to sweet tasting or highly palatable foods, not the neurochemical effects of sugar.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
is sugar addictive?
your source says no.
I included a link to that blog post because it offers a different perspective, but the bottom line is that there is considerable debate over this, and some of the evidence favoring the view that sugar is addictive is fairly strong.

But, for what it is worth, notice in the conclusion of the blog post: "Even if Lustig is wrong to call fructose poisonous and saddle it with all the blame for obesity and diabetes, his most fundamental directive is sound: eat less sugar."

Old 10-20-2017, 01:12 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I included a link to that blog post because it offers a different perspective, but the bottom line is that there is considerable debate over this, and some of the evidence favoring the view that sugar is addictive is fairly strong.

But, for what it is worth, notice in the conclusion of the blog post: "Even if Lustig is wrong to call fructose poisonous and saddle it with all the blame for obesity and diabetes, his most fundamental directive is sound: eat less sugar."
yeah, i can agree to that general premise.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
I know all about it Gaylenwoof, part of why I'm a subscriber/donor to US PIRG, a lobbying group that tries to do something about it (and other key issues).

It is unfathomably ridiculous that unhealthy food (of many kinds) is subsidized by the gov't while healthy food is not. When I visit countries like Thailand, I see that healthy food like fruit and veg is as cheap as dirt (and everywhere), while unhealthy food is more expensive and less common. That's the way it should be.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
People always whine about how other countries eat dogs or kill dolphins, but they need not look further than their own neighborhoods.
What is culturally acceptable to eat elsewhere is not my concern. That said both dogs and dolphins are very intelligent creatures in particular the dolphin. The dog holds a special place in human history because it was the first domesticated animal and used for hunting, guarding and later on herding.

Trying to compare either to a cow is bit absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies