Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support tougher, merit based immigration measures?
Yes 150 87.72%
No 21 12.28%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 11:18 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,532,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yet as a US citizen, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to immigrate to those countries. But they happily let in the third world. Strange how countries that have advocates claiming they "need immigrants" put up numerous barriers for people from western countries like the US to immigrate there.

Exactly how many people do those countries need? One billion? 10 billion? Exactly what is the population those countries need?
If you are young, healthy, educated, and with an in-demand job skill, you should have no problem getting into Canada. Under the Canadian points system, there are no extra points awarded for being third world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 11:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I voted no because I support assisting refugees as well.

I don't think our country should have only a merit based immigration policy. It never has and I find it interesting that probably a majority of you posting are the grandchildren or great grandchildren of immigrants who more than likely were unskilled.

I think oftentimes unskilled people are more hungry for success and harder working than wealthier people in particular and that merit based systems will give an advantage to wealthy immigrants.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
If you are young, healthy, educated, and with an in-demand job skill, you should have no problem getting into Canada. Under the Canadian points system, there’s are no extra points awarded for being third world.
I agree with this. I'm actually looking into immigrating to Canada due to them having a need for people to work in the field I work in. I plan on moving outside of the US at least for 2-3 years when my oldest graduates high school.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I voted no because I support assisting refugees as well.

I don't think our country should have only a merit based immigration policy. It never has and I find it interesting that probably a majority of you posting are the grandchildren or great grandchildren of immigrants who more than likely were unskilled.

Most people on here whose grandparents and great grandparents came to America as immigrants came at a time when the the economy didn't revolve around service, tech, and medical.

They came when America's biggest labor demands were farming and manual labor.

Furthermore, merit based immigration does not necessarily exclude unskilled immigrants. If America needs fruit pickers, then the ability, and importantly, the intention, to pick fruit is a merit.

The idea of merit based immigration is that you come to America with a specific job or purpose and you have the capacity (and preferably an offer) to fulfill that job or purpose.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:38 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes. Canada and Australia are open to immigration, but they do this. It's much more sensible. No other developed country would tolerate the mess we've have in America for so long.
We even do it for some refugees (Canada).

Old 11-03-2017, 04:44 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Define merit based immigration. I have a feeling Melania would not have qualified
Yes--please a definition of 'merit-based'.

To this day, nobody has ever explained why Melania deserved a 'self-sponsored' green card.

Odd--that big mouth Trump who never shuts up, refuses to explain or have her attorneys explain. Because there is no explanation. Not a one. Someone was bribed.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yes--please a definition of 'merit-based'.
Merit-based immigration, often built upon a points-based system, rewards potential green card seekers who hold job offers in fields with a high demand, a background of achievements/education in one's home country, and English-language ability.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:32 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Define merit based immigration. I have a feeling Melania would not have qualified
She would have. She had the O visa. That’s only for exceptionally and extraordinarily talented people. Aka the rock star visa. Sure, she’s not the brightest crayon in the box but talent manifests itself in many ways.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:38 PM

525 posts, read 454,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
President Trump urged for tougher, merit based immigration measures. Do you support this idea?
Yes, as long as the total number of immigrants accepted does not decrease.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:44 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,611,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Most people on here whose grandparents and great grandparents came to America as immigrants came at a time when the the economy didn't revolve around service, tech, and medical.

They came when America's biggest labor demands were farming and manual labor.

Furthermore, merit based immigration does not necessarily exclude unskilled immigrants. If America needs fruit pickers, then the ability, and importantly, the intention, to pick fruit is a merit.

The idea of merit based immigration is that you come to America with a specific job or purpose and you have the capacity (and preferably an offer) to fulfill that job or purpose.
Excellent post. People hear merit-based and think we're banning everyone but brain surgeons and rocket scientists. And of course the snarky comments about Melania, who at least wouldn't have needed language services to live in the US. The advantage of a merit-based system is that it reduces the likelihood that someone will be a burden on the system. And the fashion industry IS an industry, regardless of one's personal opinion about its importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies