Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support tougher, merit based immigration measures?
Yes 150 87.72%
No 21 12.28%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 01:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Define merit based immigration. I have a feeling Melania would not have qualified
Howard Stern: Trump wants to be loved, presidency will be 'detrimental' to his mental health - Feb. 2, 2017

Shortage of beautiful photogenic women in the US? I don't think so.

Then you have your EB5 Visa for anyone who will invest at least $1 million ( as little as $500k in some target areas) and employ 10 Americans. This was the visa that the Kushner family was pitching to the Chinese in exchange for investments.

A majority of super high end real estate in NYC, Miami and parts of California are sold to wealthy foreign investors, some of whom seek dual citizenships. It is the target market for high end developers and their agents.

On the other hand, merit could be defined as having a job and an inability to qualify for any form of social welfare ( Medicaid/ SNAP/ Housing/ insurance subsidies etc) for X years.

Could put all refugee immigration on the way back burner until such time that the US determines the disposistion of 12 million illegal immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 01:31 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm not sure it's that simple. I think merit-based should be part of what we do, but I'm not in favor of splitting up families, either.

However, I suspect that the real issue here is how to best combat terrorism, and the one think I keep thinking is, education and skill are not guaranteed protections against extremism. A bright, talented, well-qualified person with a load of hatred in his or her heart could do a lot of damage.

Merit has its place in the decision-making process, but it's not going to be an easy fix for the terrorist issue.

I did not vote, for the reasons explained above.
Splitting up families? WTF? Whoever applied to come here made the choice to split the family. Get real.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I support merit based and other forms.

The system we have now is fine, with the exception of things like the green card lottery which is ridiculous.

I have no issue with spouses having foreign spouses (along with minor children) becoming US citizens, nor issues of parents and siblings. I also do not have issue with immigration based on merit, I do not see why we cannot have both.

I do have issues with illegal immigration, in which no system in the world is worth a damn if the gov is not going to enforce it any way. I do not like the lottery, and I do not like the various programs ranging from the BS refugee program (like the Boston Marathon bombers were part of) to the while not citizens, the temporary stay for Haitians and other countries (which magically now is getting petitioned to be permanent, what a surprise, lol).

They also need to reform the entire tourist visa program, no reason why closer relatives cannot even visit US citizens, but yet they let people in like the recent NYC attacker. Reform all work visa programs, maybe just scrap them and start over as the way they are now is too in-grained with the people running them.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:52 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
There is no such thing a third world wages. Employers always pay market wages. If the supply is higher than demand, then the wage is going to be low. If it is really low, that only means you don't have many skills the employers need.
There are third world wages if you let in third worlders to do the work. This is one of the main reasons the US chamber of commerce exists. Your argument assumes that there is a single labor market. In reality, there are two labor markets and one undercuts the other.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about and supply and demand and skill concerning wages. But illegals are willing to live 4 families to a 2 bedroom apartment whereas most Americans wouldn't. You can work for a lower wage if you're willing to do that.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:06 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
There is no such thing a third world wages. Employers always pay market wages. If the supply is higher than demand, then the wage is going to be low.
And if demand is higher than supply, the business owners will...
  1. Increase compensation until the positions are filled, or...
  2. Lobby Congress to import workers who'll work for lower vages

Take all the time you need.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:15 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I guess you did not visit Eastern Europe.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:16 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I don't support any kind of immigration.

We can't take care of the people we have living here now, why add to the problem.

STOP ALL IMMIGRATION NOW!!!.

Bob.
Ahem - a few of us rather feel we're quite capable of taking care of ourselves and our US family members, as well.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
So true! One of the reasons our IQ is dropping is more low IQ people coming in from other countries and they of course are having more children than brighter people. Our average IQ has already dropped from and Average of 100 a few years ago down to 98 according to some reports.
Asians have higher IQ's and lots of them coming over....Chinese, Indians, etc....

Our IQ is getting lower due to Fox News and the local MegaChurch. I say that in a general sense in that we don't care enough about education in this country. We still (the powers the be) LIKE an uneducated population because you can get them to DO THINGS FOR YOU...cheaply, while breathing dirty air.

Here is proof positive. Japan decided to educate their populace - they put a PROGRAM IN PLACE and actually made it work. Look what happened? Their IQ went up 7-11 points....which is almost impossible.

"He found that in one generation, the mean IQ of the Japanese had jumped 7 points and is now 11 points higher than the average for Americans and Europeans."

If you want IQ to go up, stop allowing Texas to rewrite schoolbooks. Have a Federal level program like Japan. You can't have children being taught by "tribes" at the local level and expect them to compete with the rest of the world that uses facts, science and logic.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:56 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So you agree the words need to be removed since we no longer represent those words. Noted
We don't base public policy on poems, so removing them or not is irrelevant to merit-based immigration's impact on American citizens, which is the question at hand.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:03 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
I support no immigration. We have too many people in this country already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies