Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 11:34 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,116,391 times

Advertisements

Even though I am normally very conservative, I'll agree with this. The NRA wants people to be able to buy assault rifles, which is insane. The real problem however, is that most people in America do not have a heart for God- so they do whatever they want to. Tighter gun laws might help a little, but criminals and crazies will still get guns and kill others.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,385,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The French police use the Mini 14 because it does not look as tactical (SCARY) as an AR-15 or similar black rifle. They don't want to upset the bed wetting civilians over there.
They also carry the St. Étienne M12SD submachine gun. This would make a lot of Americans wet their pants, to be honest. I mean, look at it. It has two pistol grips which makes it twice as deadly!

Source:http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w..._o-660x437.jpg

Also, the French regularly deploy their military to airports and even the streets during elevated risk scenarios so it is not that unusual to see guys walking around with MP5s, Famas F1s, SCARs, HK416s, and M16s in France. All very big scary looking guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Guns = Death

Far more than life.
The standard American diet = Death

Far more than guns.

But, yeah, I know, guns are made just for killing whereas the standard American diet is made for short term pleasure and long term suicide by heart disease and diabetes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Mass shootings are a daily occurrence or close to it. I think the death toll needs to be above 20 before it makes national news.
I would argue it is not the death toll, but the race of the shooter and victims that makes a mass shooting newsworthy. Based on the criteria of what constitutes a mass shooting, the majority of them occur in the ghetto with gang related shooters and gang related victims and the poor innocent bystanders who are forced to live in the same surroundings (like Chicago and Baltimore).

But when a white guy shoots 20+ white people in a church of all places, you better believe that is going to make the news big time.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:37 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,959,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If only it were so easy...

When I think about how many people could be considered suspect due to mental health issues, I cannot imagine what it would take to address all of them effectively. Some of these people remain "under the radar" for years before emerging with their deranged form of glory. Our prison system is already overloaded, and many of these terrorists, like Paddock, are not subject to incarceration before they go off...

Enforcing the gun laws already in place, yes, or why have the laws in the first place? Agreed, but there again, enforcement is also a challenge. Much like enforcing our tax laws when less than 1 percent of filers are audited by the IRS.

Even if we had the ability to do all we can and should do, I seriously question any notion that gun deaths could be reduced to "the point of almost being non-existent," but I like the optimism anyway...
Never said it was easy, just explained what would actually work.

You will Never catch all the crazies before they go off, most never do go off. But many would be identified and possibly given the help that they need. I will remind you that 80% of gun deaths are suicides, which are directly related to mental illness, and many even talk about it beforehand and some even make several attempts before succeeding. The are countless instances when some of the very worst shooters could have been stopped but we are overly sensitive and pc to do what it takes.

Not really that much of a challenge, why would you say that specifically?

Actually if we did take the steps needed there is no way that gun deaths would not be reduced by huge numbers.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:45 AM

34,251 posts, read 18,616,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
They also carry the St. Étienne M12SD submachine gun. This would make a lot of Americans wet their pants, to be honest. I mean, look at it. It has two pistol grips which makes it twice as deadly!

Also, the French regularly deploy their military to airports and even the streets during elevated risk scenarios so it is not that unusual to see guys walking around with MP5s, Famas F1s, SCARs, HK416s, and M16s in France. All very big scary looking guns.

All good points. Before that is what probably MAS 49/56, and the S.A.C.M 1935A, and 1935S pistols of which I have examples of. I remember in the mid 1980's getting off the plane in Frankfurt to MP-5 carrying police in the airport. I had not seen that before in the U.S., so of course I was transported back several years, and they became SS with MP-40's.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:45 AM

59,199 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
My point is simply that people wrongly invoke what the founding fathers had in mind as if they were infallible, able to see into the future, and/or as if their thinking then about their issues of their day is just as relevant to our circumstances and issues today. Ridiculous that...

I made no pitch to change the Constitution, only to point out the need to focus on what is relevant today, not in terms of the reality our founding fathers were experiencing over 200 years ago.

Do I agree the procedure established by our Constitution should be followed in order to change the Constitution? Should I dignify that question without you making clear why you would ask such a question?

I think not, but the answer nevertheless is of course I agree.

Baffling...
"My point is simply that people wrongly invoke what the founding fathers had in mind as if they were infallible, able to see into the future"

No one says they were infallible but, they DID institute a process to CHANGE the Constitution.

The main focus is on semi-automatic guns.

MANY do NOT realize the he semi-automatic rifle WAS made before our revolution

Thomas Jefferson bought a few and gave them to Lewis and Clack for their journey.

IF they wanted to ban semis, they WOULD HAVE when writing the Bill of Rights and the Constitution.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:48 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,504,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Hey all, if you have not seen this yet...you have to look at it....

This is USA today.....they are talking about "possible" accessories and the AR-15.....

The first "Possible" is a chain saw......HAhahahahahahahahahhahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Man people sure are gullible.....

WATCH: 'USA Today' Warns People To Beware Of AR-15 Armed With Chainsaws | Daily Wire
I have capitalized on their stupidity for the lulz.

Enjoy.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:50 AM

59,199 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Right you are about how the ball can be dropped. What to do about people dropping balls is the question...

I hate to think how many vets might be considered a possible threat due to their PDSD symptoms/issues. Go too far with those fears and suspicions, and we begin to encroach on the privacy of those who may be troubled but not that troubled. Hell, I've wondered many times how that crazy guy screaming obscenities on a busy street can go on without the police getting involved, but if the police dealt with every guy screaming obscenities they'd have to stop doing more important police work...

No doubt more serious penalties might work with some, but with so many people for whom a case of leniency can be made, it's just not that simple (and why we have the space for judgement that we do in our legal system).

Can argue all day long about such things, but ultimately I only have so much time to waste and need to sign off now. Unfortunately, although I am all for whatever makes good sense to prevent or reduce any causes of death and injury, I can't help but think we're screwed when it comes to what the next crazy terrorist may do, and the one after that...

Still, as I posted somewhere along the way yesterday, getting killed by a terrorist is about as likely as getting crushed by furniture, so I try to live my life free of those fears, because LITS.

"Life is too short."
"I hate to think how many vets might be considered a possible threat due to their PDSD symptoms/issues."

Sen Diane Fienstein said that EVERY returning vet has PTSD and should NOT be able to get a gun.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:54 AM

Just need to get this lower...

Old 11-09-2017, 12:00 PM

Old 11-09-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Even though I am normally very conservative, I'll agree with this. The NRA wants people to be able to buy assault rifles, which is insane. The real problem however, is that most people in America do not have a heart for God- so they do whatever they want to. Tighter gun laws might help a little, but criminals and crazies will still get guns and kill others.
No they don't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies